Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 12:12 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I thought the ports are all in Democratic cities, are they not?

We'd have the CDC in Atlanta, I mean... and everything of course in Washington DC, New York City, Chicago, we'd have most everything productive, except farmland and some power plants. But we could build a few nuclear plants and import our food, like the UK does. We'd be alright after some adjustment.

I feel pretty good about our odds in Civil War 2, or a divorce. But I hope to god that nothing like that ever happens. This is one country and we've got to come together and figure out our differences like adults.

All the states are various shades of purple. The electoral college drills home this tragic divisiveness.
Not only that, there are military installations located in Democratic areas. Norfolk, VA is one example. It not only has one of the busiest ports in America. It has Naval Station Norfolk.

The Seattle area has one of the busiest ports in America. It's also home to Joint Base Lewis-McChord (in Tacoma). The Army and the Air Force all on a base in the Seattle-Tacoma metro area. There is also Naval Station Bremerton and Naval Station Everett.

Savannah is another example of Democratic city with both a busy port and a military installation. Hunter Army Airfield is there. It technically answers to Fort Stewart in nearby Hinesville, but there are soldiers, airmen, Marines, and the Coast Guard stationed there.

Charleston,SC. Home to the Port of Charleston. North Charleston, nearby, has Joint Base Charleston. I took a trip to Charleston several years ago. I saw alot of sailors.

While most of the farmland is in Republican areas, there are exceptions. Mississippi Delta, Alabama's Black Belt, several counties in southern Georgia, parts of South Carolina. There's also the rural counties on the Arkansas-Mississippi border. Some of border counties in the far south of Texas. Vermont has some blue areas that are agricultural. Only one county in Vermont voted Republican, Essex County.

It's going to be hard for everyone to solve their differences. America has soldiered on regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I stopped reading once you made a statement which had nothing to do with this thread at all.

If people can't take the time to read what the thread is about, I'm not going to waste my time responding to whatever else they are posting. I mean I've had to straighten people out on the same point several times now.

People seem to like to derail threads, rather than discuss the actual topics.
Everything I said had to do with this thread. I talked about the divisions in this country. That has something to do with this thread. I talked about how the divisions and bifurcation in America is as old as America itself. And it isn't just red vs blue. That has something to do with this thread. Everything I said points to the topic of this thread: How divided this country is. I read everything in your post, and then I responded. I brought up other factors that would influence how people vote. Race is one of those factors. You might not have liked what I had to say, but if you can't refute it, just say you didn't like it.

Old 12-04-2022, 12:28 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Everything I said had to do with this thread. I talked about the divisions in this country. That has something to do with this thread. I talked about how the divisions and bifurcation in America is as old as America itself. And it isn't just red vs blue. That has something to do with this thread. Everything I said points to the topic of this thread: How divided this country is. I read everything in your post, and then I responded. I brought up other factors that would influence how people vote. Race is one of those factors. You might not have liked what I had to say, but if you can't refute it, just say you didn't like it.
You should have just began with that and eliminated the first part.

I agree there have always been differences, but I truly feel at this point social media, Hollywood, along with biased so-called news outlets on both sides have really sent people to their own corners, battered and bruised.

I don't ever see us getting along again. Not possible at this point. Just watch the folks on CNN, The View and MSNBC and see just how much they HATE and demonize the other side.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I agree there have always been differences, but I truly feel at this point social media, Hollywood, along with biased so-called news outlets on both sides have really sent people to their own corners, battered and bruised.

I don't ever see us getting along again. Not possible at this point. Just watch the folks on CNN, The View and MSNBC and see just how much they HATE and demonize the other side.
The first part was a response to your first paragraph.

Social media and the news is showing how divided society has always been. It's a reflection of how things have always been. People turn to whatever confirms their own biases.

The divides in America go all the way back to day one. This is what kicked off Bleeding Kansas and later the Civil War. The effects of that war never quite went way.

You say that you don't see us ever getting along again. I say this: WE NEVER GOT ALONG!! Things have always been this bad.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
The fact that we had a childish loser who incited a riot on 1/6 is no reason to abandon the system at all. Trump is a one off idiot who will go away either in 2024, or if he somehow wins, in 2028 as a two termer who cant run again. No need to rework an entire electoral process for one idiot.
It simply wasn't just the childish loser. It was also the fact 121 of the minority party in the House including delegates from their own state along with a dozen Senators, contested the electors to the state. Mind you, this was over no proof of fraud and only questions of "irregularities" and no proof of the "irregularities" just conspiracy. So basically, the minority party was just mad that their guy lost. Representatives Biggs, Gosar and Lesko wanted to overturn the votes in their own state, not because they had proof, but because they disagreed with the result. Now this is before you have the insurrection that caused everything to change and most Republicans to sober up momentarily.

Quote:
Elections that result in the higher pop voter getter not winning the EC is sort of the point of the EC though. People wish to get rid of it due to one of the very reasons it exists*.That makes no sense. "Hey, these stupid 20MPH zones in schools make me late for work every day. We need to get rid of them so I can drive 60 MPH down the street and get to work faster !" Uh, no. The EC is a balance between urban and rural areas . Thats the point, the urban areas cant dominate and politicians cant ignore rural areas. That it accomplishes this and makes those who would benefit from its elimination angry that they cant dominate by numbers simply show the wisdom of it. It exists for the same reason the Senate exists and provides 2 Sen for RI and 2 for TX, despite the population difference.
Nice straw argument comparing the faults of the Electoral College to school zones. The Electoral College isn't a balance and compromise. It is arcane and needs to be changed. Prior to 2016, I wanted it to be a more proportional elector count to encourage visiting more states. With 2016, I leaned more towards getting rid of it. After Jan 6th 2021, I realize that the system is broken and needs replacing. Not fixing, replacing altogether. Congress cannot be trusted to accept and confirm the results.

Quote:
Again, the solution for those not winning enough EC votes is simple. Appeal to ALL the country. Or at least the swing states. Its far easier to pay attention to and address the needs of 7 to 10 swing states than attempting to pass a constitutional amendment that requires 2/3 of Congress to even reach the states to vote on, and then requires ratification from 38 states if it ever gets out of Congress. Which it won't in a House and Senate that is basically 50-50 in each .
The problem with the EC is that it discourages votes in states where there is no chance of winning. If you are a Republican in New York, your vote doesn't matter. If you are a Democrat in Mississippi, your vote doesn't matter. And if you are a Democrat in New York or a Republican in Mississippi, it is all decided by 7 to 10 states anyway, so why even bother voting? My previous proposal before the Trump issue, would alleviate it as now states are not winner take all. Now some states like Maine and Nebraska are not winner takes all and districts can go to the candidate that wins those. Before Jan 6th 2021, that could have worked too. As stated, Jan 6th 2021 changed things. And not just because of Trump. Over 100 Republicans voted to throw out results they didn't agree with.

The problem is you have made the 7 to 10 states the same as the limited metropolitan areas. In fact, you cherish that while attacking metropolitan area power. I think that the founding fathers thought this was a good idea in a time when it wasn't tried. Remember for three/four elections, you voted for both President and Vice President with the second vote getter being your Vice President. That didn't last long...

As for the Constitution, yes that is the case. Doesn't it mean it shouldn't even be proposed given the known defects in the process. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Quote:
Simply pay attention to all the country, and quit ignoring " flyover" country . Not that difficult .
Yeah and they ignore 4/5 of the states instead. GG

Quote:
* Interestingly, one of the other reasons for the EC and actual EC delegates that have to go vote, instead of just giving pure numbers to the candidates on election night, is that it was conceived as a last ditch measure to prevent idiots or other obviously unqualified people from winning. If Trump, for example, was shown between election night and the EC vote day to have been an agent of Putin and Russia who would do harm to the US, his electors could use that info and decide not to vote for him, instead casting their votes for someone else. Some states now have laws that prevent electors from deserting their candidate, but originally one reason was this last line of defense against an undesirable winner .
The problem with faithless electors is that they can do that for any reason. They might just not like Trump and had he won 271 to 269, they could have picked Clinton just to mess with him and force it to a delegation vote like seen in the 1824 election. Up until 2000, that was arguably one of the most contested elections. Then 2000 happened and 2020 happened 20 years later...

Old 12-04-2022, 07:46 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Exactly, any one who says it's always been this way is just lying to themselves. I've been around a long time and i can tell and feel the difference. There has never been so much hatred and division in the past as there is today.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly, any one who says it's always been this way is just lying to themselves. I've been around a long time and i can tell and feel the difference. There has never been so much hatred and division in the past as there is today.
Yes, and Trump has made it far worse by playing the Heel to anyone that isn't on his team.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
^ 100% fact. It took a horrible turn when my guy, Obama, started looking down on and demonizing 1/2 of America, then Hillary doubled down on hate.

When Hillary lost the election fair & square and went on years claiming the election was stolen from her, it prompted a divide we will never overcome.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
^ 100% fact. It took a horrible turn when my guy, Obama, started looking down on and demonizing 1/2 of America, then Hillary doubled down on hate.

When Hillary lost the election fair & square and went on years claiming the election was stolen from her, it prompted a divide we will never overcome.
We were divided long before that. I was around in 2005. The difference between then and now is that social media has progressed. News coverage is alot more detailed than ever before. It's much easier for everyone to exist in echo chambers. It was plenty divided during the Bush administration. The President didn't have to do anything. People were getting at each other. I also remember alot of racial tension going on during the early 2000s, specifically around the issue with the Confederate flag. I was in Georgia for that.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We were divided long before that. I was around in 2005. The difference between then and now is that social media has progressed. News coverage is alot more detailed than ever before. It's much easier for everyone to exist in echo chambers. It was plenty divided during the Bush administration. The President didn't have to do anything. People were getting at each other. I also remember alot of racial tension going on during the early 2000s, specifically around the issue with the Confederate flag. I was in Georgia for that.
Fair enough as far as there was division then too and obviously through our history.

However, I don't remember a political party absolutely looking down on 1/2 the country with total distain and insulting them until the Obama years. That's why I only voted for him the first time. I fled the Democrat party when I saw what he and my old party started doing.

Not cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies