Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 09:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Except that there would be a huge transition cost with that and result in hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths every year.

The more free market parts of US health care like vision and for the most part dental are stuff that can be deferred indefinitely without necessarily long term negative health effects. If you have to save up to pay for a new pair of glasses, no big deal.

If you’re 22, working your first job, and still building savings when you get hit by a car while biking to work, it’s not like you can defer medical care at that point until you can afford to fix your shattered femur/save your life.

Medical debt is already the leading cause of bankruptcy in the country. Yeah, lets make that so much worse. Brilliant way to totally tank the US economy!
And I'd counter that there would be no rise in deaths. There would be fewer wrong diagnoses, wrong prescription, deathly side effects, pointless tests, and false positives.

Care would be AS NEEDED. Trauma care would still be available. Peole wold get treated, they wold just have to pay for it themselves. Considering most families pay out $20,000 a year in premiums, it's entirely doable. An office visit is $200. That's 100 office visits. A urine/strep test is what $15?

For the majority of Americans paying out of pocket is cheaper.

Get catastrophic insurance for those hit by a bus scenarios. Before ACA, you could get a policy like that for $49 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 09:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
So now we are complaining because there are so many more people that have health insurance that doctors have more patients with insurance and have to bill the insurance company.

Reminds me of the woman who complained that with the ACA it meant more people would be seeking medical attention and that would add to her wait time for appointments.

Originally the argument against the ACA was that there wasn't a huge amt. of people not getting care because of a lack of insurance.

Now we know -- yes there were SO many people that were not able to get health care becaues they coldn't get insurance that when they finally got insurance, there was a significant increase in the number of people getting care with insurance.

OK/

Old 11-29-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Except that there would be a huge transition cost with that and result in hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths every year.

The more free market parts of US health care like vision and for the most part dental are stuff that can be deferred indefinitely without necessarily long term negative health effects. If you have to save up to pay for a new pair of glasses, no big deal.

If you’re 22, working your first job, and still building savings when you get hit by a car while biking to work, it’s not like you can defer medical care at that point until you can afford to fix your shattered femur/save your life.

Medical debt is already the leading cause of bankruptcy in the country. Yeah, lets make that so much worse. Brilliant way to totally tank the US economy!
Just a quick note on dental 'stuff'...more and more doctors and dentists recognize the importance of oral health. Dental care is critical in our over all health program -- so it isn't something that should be deferred.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:14 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
One of the problems is the industry has confused the terms "health insurance" and "pre-paid health expense." Health insurance should cover catastrophic events. For example, I have dental insurance. I have had very little dental work done in my entire life. I get a checkup and my teeth cleaned every six months. Dental insurance should cover major issues that would cost me over $1K or more. You could compare it to auto insurance. Your auto insurance doesn't cover the cost of oil changes or new tires.

Health insurance billing adds much more than compliance with government regulations. You have no idea how much time is in involved in documentation for third party billing and insurance denials.
Sure we do. At one time we had to fill out our insurance forms and get reimbursed. This was for normal doctor visits. Hospitalization was where the hospital dealt with the insurance and you got billed for your deductible.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:15 AM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Add to that the Billions of wasted cash going to lawyers for frivilous lawsuits, and all the unneeded testing/lab work being done.

Government is the reason we have such high cost of healthcare....shrink gov't, & you'll see healthcare cost fall, and competition rise.

Big government is killing America.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So now we are complaining because there are so many more people that have health insurance that doctors have more patients with insurance and have to bill the insurance company.

Reminds me of the woman who complained that with the ACA it meant more people would be seeking medical attention and that would add to her wait time for appointments.

Originally the argument against the ACA was that there wasn't a huge amt. of people not getting care because of a lack of insurance.

Now we know -- yes there were SO many people that were not able to get health care becaues they coldn't get insurance that when they finally got insurance, there was a significant increase in the number of people getting care with insurance.

OK/
No it IS the paperwork as there is a laundry list of "compliance" involved now.
Our government sure does love their forms.
If you have never been on ACA then you would not know this.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:24 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Sure we do. At one time we had to fill out our insurance forms and get reimbursed. This was for normal doctor visits. Hospitalization was where the hospital dealt with the insurance and you got billed for your deductible.
I'm talking about the amount of time in hospitals and doctors' offices. Patient billing is one of the largest departments in hospitals. Providers can spend hours a day documenting patient visits. Medical records and coders are also involved in third-party billing. Insurance denials and approval for procedures and additional days in hospitals require a medical person talk to a doctor or nurse at an insurance company. It goes on and on.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:26 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the amount of time in hospitals and doctors' offices. Patient billing is one of the largest departments in hospitals. Providers can spend hours a day documenting patient visits. Medical records and coders are also involved in third-party billing. Insurance denials and approval for procedures and additional days in hospitals require a medical person talk to a doctor or nurse at an insurance company. It goes on and on.
i can't imagine a more mind-numbing job.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Denials and approvals are not new.
But the amount of paperwork involved now.....
Add to that EHR's that must be maintained

Old 11-29-2022, 09:30 AM

Back in 2001, made general check up appointments for my three kids. Dr.'s office calls me back, they aren't covered for well care visits. Phone insurance company. Yeah she has to put in as a 'physical'. Phone dcotor's office back...hey put it in as a physical. Dr.'s clerk says "oh yeah -- that happens all the time.............." Took everything I had to say -- then why didn't you try the second code before trying to charge me full price for a visit.

Sure more paperwork as more people on more insurance.

But this whole dance with insurance companies, and health care providers....Americans have been dealing with it for years.

I won't go into the fiasco that followed with required immunizaitons for the kids and wanting to charge me 75 dollars a pop until I told them I would go to county health office and pay 10 dolalrs and then the office found some forms I could sign to get the 10 dollar shot at THEIR office.

Health care in the USA is big business and you never know if you are getting something you need or just something that makes money for all involved.
'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies