Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 12:02 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The countries agreed that we are now in a "crisis" and drastic measures must be taken.

Hence the 50% reduction by 2030 and 100% reduction by 2050.
Time to introduce the world to the right of Carousel, like in the movie Logan's Run. We need to rid the planet of 4 or 5 billion natural resource consuming humans. It's the only way. The only question is at what age will ones "Last Day" be ?

Also, some good starting points would be to ground all air traffic, and shipping, and stop cutting down forests. Until we see these small steps being made, I don't think we are taking this climate change thing seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 1,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Time to introduce the world to the right of Carousel, like in the movie Logan's Run. We need to rid the planet of 4 or 5 billion natural resource consuming humans. It's the only way. The only question is at what age will ones "Last Day" be ?

Also, some good starting points would be to ground all air traffic, and shipping, and stop cutting down forests. Until we see these small steps being made, I don't think we are taking this climate change thing seriously.
If only we weren't so profit driven and bounded to the idea of infinite growth on a finite planet.

It's like a smoker being told he's developing lung cancer, and is mad at the doctor instead of his smoking habit.

He fears the surgeries, the treatments, how painful it's gonna be. But he doesn't think to himself "my smoking caused this". He instead thinks, the doctors made it up. Or they're trying to take money from him etc. Anything but his habit he blames for his current predicament.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:08 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:

Oh we will feel it. The elites won't as they jet all over the world on their private planes.
We will be the ones that suffer so they can live their life of luxury.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Oh we will feel it. The elites won't as they jet all over the world on their private planes.
We will be the ones that suffer so they can live their life of luxury.
You are a bit late. Everything that contributed to climate change funded the lavish lifestyles of the oil tycoon elites.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
SWELL! Just as I was looking at the overstock of pet food and wondering if it was time to trim back on those subscriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
There's 7.7 or 8 billion people on this planet. There will be LESS not MORE people by 2040.
What will the bulldozers run on to bury the bodies?

Old 11-29-2022, 12:38 PM

779 posts, read 424,226 times
It'll be OK, all the farmers can just learn to code. Maybe the coal miners can teach them.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:48 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Farming causes nitrogen pollution. Too much nitrogen in the atmosphere makes breathing difficult.

Quote:
Excess nitrogen in the air can impair our ability to breathe, limit visibility and alter plant growth. Nutrient pollution is one of America's most widespread, costly and challenging environmental problems,
Nitrogen? I wonder whether they are talking about nitrous oxides? Not the same thing!

Quote:

I don't think the climate change thing has been logically thought through. I see a lot of hysteria which in my opinion is only going to make matters worse.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
heard about this in another context.

In order to reduce nitrogen or CO2, they will reduce fertilizer and agricultural production.

Less food = higher costs for food. After a couple years, less food = food shortages.

"food shortages" means starvation and death, on a global and biblical scale. You'll see it first in the poorest countries in Africa, and with the war in Ukraine (they produce ALOT of wheat in case you didnt know... but not now).

There's 7.7 or 8 billion people on this planet. There will be LESS not MORE people by 2040.
And all those decaying bodies will produce tonnes of methane. Or if they are incinerated then they will produce tonnes of CO2, both at the incineration end and at the power generation end. It's a win-win. Not.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:16 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Farming causes nitrogen pollution. Too much nitrogen in the atmosphere makes breathing difficult.

Nitrogen? I wonder whether they are talking about nitrous oxides? Not the same thing!

I don't think the climate change thing has been logically thought through. I see a lot of hysteria which in my opinion is only going to make matters worse.
pretty sure the nitrogen in this case is the non-atmospheric kind used in fertilizer.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
pretty sure the nitrogen in this case is the non-atmospheric kind used in fertilizer.
Quote:
Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is a gas that is mainly produced during the combustion of fossil fuels, along with nitric oxide (NO). NO2 can also be formed when NO reacts with certain gases in the atmosphere.
Aah! Found it.

Quote:
When used in excess, nitrogen fertilisers can be oxidised and lost to the air as nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is a long-lived greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming. It stays in the atmosphere for an average of 114 years and is 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
So it's when used in excess that nitrous oxide is formed. Sounds like a manageable issue. So by shutting down agriculture in the Netherlands, a country in which such emissions can be controlled and shifting food production to countries where such emission are poorly controlled, really makes a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies