Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 09:15 AM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Married people tend to be more responsible, commit fewer crimes, and have more stability in general. That's good for governments. However, I don't think marriage actually increases responsibility. Probably the other way around.
I was replying to the poster that wants FedGov out of these areas and why I think they won't ever get out of these areas.

If anything the FedGov is getting more involved via nationalizing.

It's a bigger issue than just marriage.

FWIW I do agree that we need the same laws in all states to protect the people themselves.
I also think Congress should have acted on the abortion law as well to make it the same across all states with min first trimester and then let states go further if they want.

Socially I have a liberal view but not a progressive view.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:23 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Oh, so the number has been updated. Thank you. Low by a lot? Hardly.

There are 33 million households with kids in the US. (Global Data Nov 2022) So out of that 33 million households ... there are 161,000 LGBTQ households with kids.

Do the math. ..
When I went to school, 161,000 was well over 1/3 more than 114,000. That's a lot.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:25 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Clearly none, but same-sex couples legally married in States who allow it will not have to move to enjoy the same marriage protections offered by their State to heterosexual couples. Unless the State removes marriage protections for ALL, their rights are now ensured. Good.

Rights don’t end with who can marry who. Lots of protections/rights are available to just married people. And the law will say they have to be available to ALL married people in a State regardless of whether or not the State allows civil same-sex marriage.

Same sex marriage bans are based on gender, not sexual orientation.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:25 AM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
What's next? Maybe the worthless Democrats in Congress can pass a bill giving women the right to vote. Or enacting the Bill of Rights. Anything to avoid addressing the real problems facing actual Americans, which they intentionally created.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:27 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Same sex marriage bans are based on gender, not sexual orientation.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the benefits provided to folks once they’re married.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Everything you just posted was hypotheticals. It is now written in federal law. It is the law of the land.

Not until Congress passes and POTUS signs.
Also it's still subject to being overturned by SCOTUS as unconstitutional.

And you're the one who brought up hypotheticals when you asked me if I'd be ok with a state defining marriage as only two males.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Which recognizes whatever laws each state has.

That's it. Do people ever do any research beyond headlines?

However, statutory authority doesn’t exactly make same-sex marriage the law of the land, notes Rep. Jones, who said, “This legislation says the federal government must recognize a marriage that was legally performed within a state. It does not require all states to allow marriage equality,” explains Jones.

You are congratulating the feds for acknowledging states rights.
The part that you are missing is the recognition, married couples of all sexual preferences will have the same rights, albeit you wont be able to get married in that state necessarily.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yeah no. It’s the government deciding to offer whatever protection they can to same-sex couples in light of a far Right Supreme Court. State can now decide if they want to perform same-sex marriages, but they can’t refuse to acknowledge same-sex marriage performed in other States.
Nonsense. For 200+ years of this nation's existence, marriage has been 1 man, 1 woman. For all of HISTORY, that's been the case. And no, the SCOTUS is nowhere close to far right. But it did actually rule according to the Constitution (that darned pesky Constitution, huh?)

Old 11-30-2022, 09:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

So sayeth the Lord. It is also from Romans. This is all getting creepy. Sort of like when the warden in Shawshank reduces his discussions to biblical shibboleths and you are expected to play along with somebody who is obviously crazy.
I have no issue being judged by the same standard. Why do you believe that is some kind of gotcha argument?

Old 11-30-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
as far as I am concerned...eliminate marriage...and all the bennies... completely.... why should the government be in the marriage bussiness to begin with...why should the government give breaks to people who say they are married....

marriage is an antiquated concept.

Now this I can agree with.

Government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage..... federal government especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies