Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2022, 07:22 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times

Advertisements

Why is marriage any concern of the federal (or state) government???

Old 12-01-2022, 07:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Marriage is a contract between two people, and there are rights and responsibilities that are inherent in it.

Rights to not have to testify against a spouse, rights with inheritance and dissolution distribution of acquired assets, etc.

It's just not a flowery declaration of affection. It's assuming a legal position of next of kin, which is a legal term.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:33 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And that means what exactly? We promote and celebrate everything and anything no matter what the behavior?
Something's legality though is not a promotion or celebration of it. Merely its tolerance. The US is a free country. Freedom is disagreement, and a plurality of viewpoints and opinions, coexisting in peace. That's our absolute highest ideal above all else, and where we've consistently applied it, it's made us a great country.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:39 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Something's legality though is not a promotion or celebration of it. Merely its tolerance. The US is a free country. Freedom is disagreement, and a plurality of viewpoints and opinions, coexisting in peace. That's our absolute highest ideal above all else, and where we've consistently applied it, it's made us a great country.
And where it's NOT being consistently applied is tearing us apart. From both sides.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:55 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
And where it's NOT being consistently applied is tearing us apart. From both sides.
Agreed completely. One side trying to push vaccine and mask mandates on everyone in an overblown mass hysteria, and the other trying to force women across the land to carry pregnancies to term against their will.

How about, let's all just be pro-choice on everything, and you make the choices that you think are best, and set your own example to be followed by those that agree, or not.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:00 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
only because laws were put in place which generate privileges and responsibility related to marriage.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:25 AM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times
I kind of don't care, but maybe this will eliminate the issue and we can move on to other matters.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:27 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Marriage is a manmade “right.” I don’t care much about the manmade rights, just the ones God set forth that apply to all. Those are the rights and freedoms I fight for.
Which God and what of the millions of people who don’t believe in yours?

Old 12-01-2022, 10:33 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Judge = to from an opinion. Got it.

Using this definition, no poster should form any opinion about ... anything. Since no one should 'judge' another.

Then what is the point of this forum?

To parrot back to each other the sentiment that no one have any opinion about anything ever?
People can and do form opinions every day. On CD and IRL. No one except you thinks otherwise.

The difference is whether or not someone believes THEIR opinion should abridge the rights of others. You think same-sex marriage is wrong or at least should not be permitted. That’s your opinion and you’re welcome to it. But in a law based society (and I’m talking Man’s laws and not God’s Laws because of that whole separation of Church and State thing we live by), your individual opinion and mine matter not.

What does matter IMO:

1. Barring same-sex marriage was 100% discrimination and needed to be corrected. We shouldn’t ever have different “classes” of citizens in this country. We tried that already. Didn’t go well.

2. No one is harmed by permitting same-sex marriage. I don’t like it is not harm. It’s just your opinion being overridden. Too bad.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 12-01-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-01-2022, 10:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
You claimed that "judge" means "to form an opinion." Are you stating that every poster except me gets an opinion?

Or are you changing the definition? I'm only interested in your definition of "judge." Since multiple posters, including you, are telling others "not to do that."

What does "judge" mean? To form any opinion doesn't seem to be applicable. Since if everyone were to follow that as a "don't do" that means that no one has any opinions on anything.
Where did you get that you can’t have an opinion? Try reading my last post for clarity. Geez.

You can have whatever opinions you want. And I can have opinions on your opinions. Of course you refuse to state your opinion directly like you expect from everyone else.

Why are you against same sex marriage? Be specific please. I gave you 2 simple points that formed my opinion, perhaps you could do the same instead of asking for more word definitions and accusing people of saying things they didn’t say. Might lead to a more productive discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies