Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 06:38 AM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't see many of us telling women they can't dress like men (that is, they have to wear dresses, although a notable few denominations do that), or can't work on the sabbath, or can't store up food, or can't borrow money, or can't use yeasts for a certain part of the year, etc. Just that one thing, interestingly.
There are plenty of churches that recognize the alphabet people. There is no reason to force all churches to do that.
That is authoritarian

NOTE: I do not use "alphabet people" as a snark...there are too many combinations these days

Old 11-30-2022, 06:39 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You mean like bigoted comments like this?

Thanks for the example.
I don’t really care whether Churches do or do not perform same-sex marriages but I refuse to applaud the Republicans who insisted on codifying their bigotry. At least the inclusion of this in the bill will stop the hand wringing and pearl clutching on the Right as they can rest assured they’ll never have to witness love they disapprove of in their Churches.

5,044 posts, read 2,399,736 times
Quote:
It preaches love for people, not behavior or corcumstance. Similar to if someone has cancer, you hate the cancer, but love the person.

Do you love Christians? Treat them with respect and kindness and tolerance?

No? You hate them so much you can't breathe in the morning? SHOCKER.
Love the person hate the Christian?

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There are plenty of churches that recognize the alphabet people. There is no reason to force all churches to do that.
That is authoritarian

NOTE: I do not use "alphabet people" as a snark...there are too many combinations these days
Well, instead of alphabet people, you could just say "all". As in "all are welcome at His table" churches. You know, the kind of Christians who believe in love and not judgement.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Well, instead of alphabet people, you could just say "all". As in "all are welcome at His table" churches. You know, the kind of Christians who believe in love and not judgement.
They wouldn't like that, being lumped together with the common folks.

They NEED to be separated out to call attention to themselves. It's the whole point.

They won't operate like the general unnamed public.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:41 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Really ? What case is being waited on for a SCOTUS decision that would reverse that ?
none, of course, but folks like cuebald have seen success in the last 6 months claiming all sorts of things would happen that haven't even been proposed, much less become any lawsuit.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:42 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Well, other than being totally meaningless and redundant, congrats!
You do realize that this bill was nothing more than an election-time dog-and-pony show designed to pander to perpetual woe-is-me types, right?

I support LGBTQ+ rights. I despise politicians who spread false narratives in a sad attempt to mislead voters.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
It preaches love for people, not behavior or corcumstance. Similar to if someone has cancer, you hate the cancer, but love the person.

Do you love Christians? Treat them with respect and kindness and tolerance?

No? You hate them so much you can't breathe in the morning? SHOCKER.
I dislike the bigotry displayed by some people/entities. Not the people themselves but their views. I know and love many Christians so you’re wildly off on your assertions. I don’t have to respect people who seek to marginalize others regardless of whether they are members of a religion or not.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:44 AM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
They do not want to be grouped with the general public or don't you see that ?

Old 11-30-2022, 06:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
They wouldn't like that, being lumped together with the common folks.

They NEED to be separated out to call attention to themselves. It's the whole point.

They won't operate like the general unnamed public.
You have absolutely ZERO idea what you're talking about. Again.

Jump into the fray that's overtaken the United Methodist Church and learn something about how people want to be included, and others want to exclude them.

Even those who just wear a rainbow pin in solidarity. Open your eyes, and look around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies