Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 12:41 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,804,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I seem to remember some crazy predictions on this board about $10 gas in August, and grocery stores being empty around that time too, and we've never seen what was about to happen to our markets that was predicted to hit and starve us all out in July, etc.
$9.63 per gallon in Mendocino last June. Close enough for you?

https://www.kron4.com/news/mendocino...as-in-the-u-s/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Welcome to the new normal, with half your 401k up in smoke.
Well, the stock market is up over last year at this time, and up over 5 years ago at this time.

So . . . um.

I don't know if you recall how people were dancing in the streets when the stock market hit 30K, which was around Feb. 2021. We thought we'd never see it so good. But wait, yes we did. The market hit an unbelievable 36K around November 2021.

And now, today, we're at 34.3K.

What do you WANT from the market? You can't have enormous leaps and bounds outside of what we could have imagined, continue and continue and continue.

That we are now 4K over what we were celebrating heavily in Feb. 21 should really re-calibrate your thinking.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post

No, not close enough.

Everyone knows California is off the table.

The prediction was for the average Joe to be paying 10 bucks in August, for gas, when he could get it even at that.

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post

Somehow I must have missed it when CNN covered this story.

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times
Quote:
I seem to remember some crazy predictions on this board about $10 gas in August, and grocery stores being empty around that time too, and we've never seen what was about to happen to our markets that was predicted to hit and starve us all out in July, etc.

Trucks would come to a complete halt and boy howdy, you better buy your groceries right now, or there won't be any to be had. This said by someone who claimed he was high up in the trucking industry, and a bunch of your crowd swarmed around him and agreed.

I was told those things, too, and they were laughably wrong.

We've got some inflation. That's life. I heard this morning that inflation is again showing more slowing.

We never saw 10 dollar gas, we never had our markets empty and our family dying of hunger, and trucks pulled over on the highway with no diesel to be had, etc.

YOU just can't comprehend what you don't want to comprehend, while you're predicting doom and gloom and blaming everyone but yourself.
I read people talking of $5-$7 gas and YES, $5-$7 gas did happen.

Here is another example of not getting it. Here is your post in the rail strike thread.

Quote:
I was listening to talk radio a week or so ago, and was astonished to hear that the major hinging point was paid sick leave.

It seems extremely backward to deny a full time employee paid sick leave - why did the other side hang on to this for so long? Most of these employees do very physically taxing work - paid sick leave just seems respectful.
Here is my response to you in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Giving additional time off so people get paid to do nothing is exactly the type of thing which leads to INFLATION Clara.

Here is a classic example of what I was referring to in the Yellen Inflation thread. You just will never get it, will you?

Something those on the left never seem to understand.
See Clara. This is the issue. You and others on the left never seem to understand there will be consequences to the policies you want passed. And then when those consequences happen, you pretend it wasn't because of the policies you supported.

People on the left NEVER EVER learn from past mistakes. YOU JUST DON"T GET IT AND NEVER WILL! You are too tied to your politics to understand basic economics.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:46 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times
Quote:
Well, the stock market is up over last year at this time, and up over 5 years ago at this time.

So . . . um.
NASDAQ is WAY DOWN this year.

NASDAQ
Attached Thumbnails
Janet Yellen blames Americans' 'splurging' for record-high inflation-screen-shot-2022-12-01-2.46.25  

Old 12-01-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I read people talking of $5-$7 gas and YES, $5-$7 gas did happen.

Here is another example of not getting it. Here is your post in the rail strike thread.

Here is my response to you in that thread.

See Clara. This is the issue. You and others on the left never seem to understand there will be consequences to the policies you want passed. And then when those consequences happen, you pretend it wasn't because of the policies you supported.

People on the left NEVER EVER learned from past mistakes. YOU JUST DON"T GET IT!
I don't know where you work, but I've never worked in a salaried position where I didn't get PTO.

That's an example of YOU not "getting it". The market expects to have that, and yet we intend to deny our railroad workers what everyone else is receiving.

I know it's going to cost more. Everything "costs more". Good bridges and roads cost more. Inspections of aircraft before each flight costs more.

Treating railroad workers with respect and dignity costs more.

The single, only, overriding concern isn't whether something costs more. It's what you get for it. And if we can have a happy, fairly treated railroad workers, well, there's benefit in that.

YOU just don't get it. There are threads and threads and threads with far right wing posters scratching their heads over the fact that the left has other priorities than amassing more and more money, and spending as little of it as humanly possible.

Other people view life differently. You don't seem to grasp other people have other priorities than you do.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
NASDAQ is WAY DOWN this year.

NASDAQ
I'm looking at the DOW. You look at what you want.

In rechecking, the NASDAQ is SIGNIFICANTLY up over where we were 5 years ago. So I'll ask again, what do you want? What do you expect in the market? That enormous leaps upward will just continue, forever and ever amen?

Old 12-01-2022, 12:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Sigh....

Old 12-01-2022, 12:54 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am still undecided between "evil" and "stupidity".

I almost never ascribe to stupidity what can be done by evil. I almost always give the powers that be, conspiratorial credit for brewing their oppressive machinations behind the scenes to destroy the US middle class. Normally, I would say they want to inflate away the National Debt.

But the way the entire Biden Administration is acting from inflation to the Afghanistan retreat, I am open to the possibility tha this government really is that stupid. I didn't think it was humanly possible, but now I am having my doubts.
never underestimate president houseplant's stupidity:

"There’s nobody suggesting there’s unchecked inflation on the way — no serious economist. That’s totally different."
-vegetable xoe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies