Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:17 PM

37,202 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That really is the point, isn’t it? Nobody knows the intentions of a stranger. But when such a stranger is already in the process of committing a crime, we at least know at that point, he is a criminal, don’t we? And, at that point, we have no way of determining to how far he is willing to go, but we must assume the worst case scenario, as opposed to offering the benefit of doubt.

Doubt involves hesitation, and hesitation can be deadly, when dealing with criminals
The perp had disengaged from the fight and was running out the door when he was shot. It’s on video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 11:53 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And the shooter knew that exactly when and how…?
Because he was there.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:33 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have mixed feelings about this.

Yes, if you nitpick this incident you can go on and on about how there was no weapon therefore no deadly force was necessary, etc.

However, in light of how criminals have run amok recently, and that this criminal may in the future have committed theft that leads to death of innocent civilians, this was a good outcome.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...269397627.html
IMO. when you steal, you get what you deserve.

I'd bet he WON'T be stealing anymore!

Old 12-04-2022, 05:35 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah how serious was the fight? Shoplifting and scuffle does not warrant the death penalty.
Bet he WON'T be "scuffling and shoplifting" anymore!

Old 12-04-2022, 06:11 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Who knows. Maybe the dead guy said he was going outside to get a gun, knife, shovel or he threatened to kill one of the women or kill the shooter.
And that made him a such threat that he needed to be shot in the back while running away? The shooter deserves the same sentence the shoplifter would have gotten if he had killed someone. Vigilante justice is not the way.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:12 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Per law you get prosecuted for stealing. Not murdered.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

So you believe summary execution is an appropriate penalty for petit larceny?

Do you believe it’s also appropriate for fraud, say, taking money from a charity for veterans, or one for children? How about incorporating fraud into something on the scale of a university? Fraud is theft.

If not fraud, then do you think it should apply to theft of classified documents and government property?

You may need to look into recalibrating your “appropriate penalty” meter. I think the needle may be bent.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:28 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And that made him a such threat that he needed to be shot in the back while running away? The shooter deserves the same sentence the shoplifter would have gotten if he had killed someone. Vigilante justice is not the way.
That’s a feelings based assessment. I’m trying to shine a little light on how this works in Texas. The shooter being arrested and charged with murder means almost nothing to the grand jury that will either render a no bill or indict the guy.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:35 AM

573 posts, read 260,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No. I sold guns for four years, and talked with the people who bought them. In what they perceive is a safe situation, people open up and tell you what is going on in their heads. Two-thirds of the people who bought pistols bought them for home protection, to carry fishing or hunting, because they were businessmen carrying a lot of cash to the bank on a regular basis, or for plinking as a recreational activity in and of itself.
You're contradicting yourself...

Your FIRST call was 'If you carry, you are looking for a reason to use it.'--- NOW ITS '1/3 are looking to be heros'---Which is it ?

???

So you were a gun broker and that qualifies you to project 'the odds' of the shooter being a psychopath looking for a vic ?

PLEASE----i actually shot people while stationed and deployed in Lebanon. I think i know a little more than YOU about the MO of shooters.

PPL talk 'all kinds of c**t'--- its Actions that count.

AND 'NO to your answer'--- those who carry are not looking to 'Wax the next' moron first chance they get.

The avg. person carrying a weapon is actually scared and afraid to use it. Most DO NOT practice with their firearm.

Those at the Gun Ranges...are the ones to be feared...

;(

Old 12-04-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
You're contradicting yourself...

Your FIRST call was 'If you carry, you are looking for a reason to use it.'--- NOW ITS '1/3 are looking to be heros'---Which is it ?

???

So you were a gun broker and that qualifies you to project 'the odds' of the shooter being a psychopath looking for a vic ?

PLEASE----i actually shot people while stationed and deployed in Lebanon. I think i know a little more than YOU about the MO of shooters.

PPL talk 'all kinds of c**t'--- its Actions that count.

AND 'NO to your answer'--- those who carry are not looking to 'Wax the next' moron first chance they get.

The avg. person carrying a weapon is actually scared and afraid to use it. Most DO NOT practice with their firearm.

Those at the Gun Ranges...are the ones to be feared...

;(
Those two statements are not mutually exclusive. They are two different ways of expressing the same idea. Read them again.

Exactly why unchecked and unrestrained open carry is an absurd idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies