Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 10:28 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Remember when Conservatives were against certain things.

Conservatives were against being sore losers after election losses, yet look how they acted after Trump lost.

Conservatives were against Big Government, funny how that worked out in relation to Abortion.

Conservatives were against Government legislation being used against schools, look what's happening now.

Conservatives were against the Government using its agencies to go after its political opponents, now they're going after Hunter the same way.

Conservatives were against people being fired due to having no Covid-19 vaccines, now look how much their celebrating people being fired in school boards and elsewhere.

Conservatives were against censorship such as when several controversial Dr. Seuss books were taken out of print, now there's thousands of book banning's due to Conservatives.

Conservatives were against the Government using its power to try to control what people can and cannot say or hear. yet look what happened with the CEO of Disney this year

Conservatives were against Liberals not standing with Israel, now you have conservatives just fine with Trump having dinner with anti-Semitics Ye and Nick Fuentes.

Why has the right abandoned what they once stood for?

Why is the right now supporting and/or defending the very things they once stood against?

When was the turning point?

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

How come they cannot see the danger in what they are supporting?
Cool story, bro.

You should create a thread about that.

This thread is about how Liberals are taking the opposite view they once held.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 10:30 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Why has the left abandoned what they once stood for?

Why is the left now supporting and/or defending the very things they once stood against?
To be honest, I think most humans don't really believe in free speech or even actual freedom of thought. It is against human nature to do so. At most, people might pay lip service to it.

People defend "free speech" as long as they agree with it. Otherwise, they will be like "Yeah, right. I don't think so." Why would people want others to have a voice when they disagree with their values?

This seems to be true the world over.

Old 12-03-2022, 10:35 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
As a former Democrat and Liberal, I remember when Liberals were against certain things.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to spy on its citizens. That's why we had a major issue with Bush.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to go after its political opponents.

Liberals were against the Government trying to control the news flow and the flow of information.

Liberals were against the Government using its power to try to control what people can and cannot say or hear.

Why is the left now supporting and/or defending the very things they once stood against?

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

Classical Liberals (actual liberals) are against those things.

It's progressives who aren't.

Old 12-03-2022, 10:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
They can't see their own authoritarianism, or don't care. They are now the ones in power, whereas before they were the underdogs. Once they got power, they turned into what they used to loathe. Such is human nature. The group that happens to have the most power loses the principles that helped them gain power in the first place and then become more concerned about preservation of that power, assimilating others into their worldview, and keeping their opposition in check. It's really part of our genetics. It then becomes a matter of a full fledged revolt to oust them from power, which is what the Chinese need to do with the CCP as an example. Either that, or the status quo manage to eliminate their opposition.

One big chess match with the masses as the pawns. Checks and balances help prevent this consolidation of power, but cannot totally prevent it.

Old 12-03-2022, 10:37 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People defend "free speech" as long as they agree with it. Otherwise, they will be like "Yeah, right. I don't think so."
That's not the problem. In fact, what you mention here is EXACTLY the way it should be. Having the right to free speech includes having a right to holding an opposing opinion, no matter the opinion.

The problem arises not with saying, "Yeah, right. I don't think so," to someone. The problem arises with saying, "Yeah, right. I don't think so," as you hold a gun to that someone's head.

I argue vehemently with some leftists on this forum. I disagree with them completely. I hold a low opinion of them. I think their opinions are totally foolish and ridiculous. Sometimes to the point of idiocy. I say, "Yeah, right. I don't think so," all the time. But... BUT... I would also defend their right to hold any opinion they wish. Now, when it comes to actual actions, that is different, but opinions? Everyone should have the right to any opinion, no matter how popular or unpopular it is, and how angelic or satanic it is.

Old 12-03-2022, 10:56 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
the free thinking liberals of the 60s and 70s who would “question authority†have become cheerleaders for big government and big corporations.
now they rage WITH the machine

Old 12-03-2022, 11:05 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
As a former Democrat and Liberal, I remember when Liberals were against certain things.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to spy on its citizens. That's why we had a major issue with Bush.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to go after its political opponents.

Liberals were against the Government trying to control the news flow and the flow of information.

Liberals were against the Government using its power to try to control what people can and cannot say or hear.

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

I don't know if it's because those losing all of their rights are conservatives, so they don't recognize the danger or they don't support freedom and human rights anymore.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:09 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Classical Liberals (actual liberals) are against those things.

It's progressives who aren't.
That may be true, but the wrong ones have taken control of the Democrat Party, Big Tech and the Media.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:10 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Cool story, bro.

You should create a thread about that.

This thread is about how Liberals are taking the opposite view they once held.
So you ignore when the other side is doing the same as what you are complaining about

Interesting.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:16 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

Because they were never Liberal in the first place..

And because they're not even Democrats anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies