Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 10:04 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
the free thinking liberals of the 60s and 70s who would “question authority” have become cheerleaders for big government and big corporations.
NOPE, they BECAME the government.

Both as government employees and politicians. AND when you became the MAN, you start acting like the MAN.

Look at the life histories of the Clintons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 10:18 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
As a former Democrat and Liberal, I remember when Liberals were against certain things.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to spy on its citizens. That's why we had a major issue with Bush.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to go after its political opponents.

Liberals were against the Government trying to control the news flow and the flow of information.

Liberals were against the Government using its power to try to control what people can and cannot say or hear.

Why has the left abandoned what they once stood for?

Why is the left now supporting and/or defending the very things they once stood against?

When was the turning point?

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

How come they cannot see the danger in what they are supporting?

Plain and simple there are hardly any “liberals” left.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:24 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
As a former Democrat and Liberal, I remember when Liberals were against certain things.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to spy on its citizens. That's why we had a major issue with Bush.

Liberals were against the Government using its agencies to go after its political opponents.

Liberals were against the Government trying to control the news flow and the flow of information.

Liberals were against the Government using its power to try to control what people can and cannot say or hear.

Why is the left now supporting and/or defending the very things they once stood against?

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

One of the best POC threads I have read.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:56 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One of the best POC threads I have read.
Thank you.

Old 12-04-2022, 12:31 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
now they rage WITH the machine
Yes, for now they have become the machine,

Old 12-04-2022, 09:18 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Today JFK would be considered extremely far right wing.
As JFK said

“ But, if by a "Liberal," they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say that I'm a "Liberal."

I think that is still true today. Conservatives on this forum constantly bemoan the changing of America. Apparently that includes acceptance of LGBTQ rights, trying to address systemic racism, expanding rights instead of trying to truncate them. Conservatives are definitely NOT people that look ahead instead of behind, or welcome new ideas without rigid reactions. Instead, they label new ideas as “communist “, or “destroying American values.”

JFK was a liberal in his day and I think he would be right at home with the center-left mainstream of the Democratic Party today.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:30 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:

Why did they change?

What is their end goal?

Why do you assume all democrats are liberals and keep calling them the left. The party is still mostly moderate which is why democrats in this country won't elect someone like Sanders or Warren to be president. You do realize our agencies have always spied on us. And the internet and cell phones also track us. No one is trying to control what you say. Just be aware that there are consequences to what you say. And I don't recall anyone being against our agencies going after our political opponents. This is why we have the cia.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:38 PM

58 posts, read 35,471 times
Respectfully, So what!

At one time I didn’t drink black coffee - I do now

At one time I didn’t drink almond milk - I do now

At one time I didn’t buy lean meats - I do now

At one time I couldn’t fit in size 36 jeans - I do now !!!

Old 12-05-2022, 04:07 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Conservatives on this forum constantly bemoan the changing of America. Apparently that includes acceptance of LGBTQ rights, trying to address systemic racism, expanding rights instead of trying to truncate them. Conservatives are definitely NOT people that look ahead instead of behind, or welcome new ideas without rigid reactions. Instead, they label new ideas as “communist “, or “destroying American values.”
There is no “systemic racism” in America today or in most of the last 50 years. It is a complete and total bogeyman.

There is no country in the world that provides as many educational and economic opportunities to minorities as the United States does.

If you are unable to achieve at least some modicum of success in the United States, then you have to look inward and wonder what you are doing wrong in your life.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:41 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
As JFK said

“ But, if by a "Liberal," they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say that I'm a "Liberal."

I think that is still true today. Conservatives on this forum constantly bemoan the changing of America. Apparently that includes acceptance of LGBTQ rights, trying to address systemic racism, expanding rights instead of trying to truncate them. Conservatives are definitely NOT people that look ahead instead of behind, or welcome new ideas without rigid reactions. Instead, they label new ideas as “communist “, or “destroying American values.”

JFK was a liberal in his day and I think he would be right at home with the center-left mainstream of the Democratic Party today.
ROTFLMAO!!!

Cool story, bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies