Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 10:16 PM

1,824 posts, read 793,274 times

Advertisements

I took Paxlovid in July. I was infected with covid by a visiting family member, who became infected while attending a business conference on the opposite coast. I doubt that I would have gotten covid without this exposure.

My good friend from the opposite side of the country had covid about a month before me. They also took Paxlovid.

Both my friend & I were vaccinated. We are the same age (older) & both have preexisting medical conditions. Both of us were quite sick & the Paxlovid diminished our symptoms & shortened the length of illness with no complications. Neither of us had any side effects from Paxlovid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 07:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Paxlovid keeps 89% of the unvaccinated out of the hospital, 6% get rebound effect, reduces chances of long covid, so why risk getting the vaccine?

Has anyone taken Paxlovid and found it's a tolerable medication to take? Any side effects?

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/w...oming-out-fall

My wife and I both took it last week of October, age 64. No rebound that we noticed, and only side effect was a 24/7 metallic taste in the mouth. Sort of like those old Zinc lozenges you'd suck on, to help get rid of a cold years ago.

We are vaccinated with J&J, but even our boosters were a year ago before finally catching Covid for this first time.

Last edited by MikeBear; 12-11-2022 at 07:59 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 01:32 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
How quickly does Paxlovid cut the illness? Some people are saying they recovered faster, but how do they know how fast or slow they would have recovered without it? I had it last month and was better in a week and had the first 2 shots way back when, but none of the boosters.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:31 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How quickly does Paxlovid cut the illness? Some people are saying they recovered faster, but how do they know how fast or slow they would have recovered without it? I had it last month and was better in a week and had the first 2 shots way back when, but none of the boosters.
Medical studies were done and continue to be done on larger groups looking for that answer. Apparently still effective for the old and infirm with the newer viral variants.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:49 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I took Paxlovid in July. I was infected with covid by a visiting family member, who became infected while attending a business conference on the opposite coast. I doubt that I would have gotten covid without this exposure.

My good friend from the opposite side of the country had covid about a month before me. They also took Paxlovid.

Both my friend & I were vaccinated. We are the same age (older) & both have preexisting medical conditions. Both of us were quite sick & the Paxlovid diminished our symptoms & shortened the length of illness with no complications. Neither of us had any side effects from Paxlovid.
How do you both know it shortened the length of your illness? My sister and I both got covid at the same time, she took Paxlovid, I didn't, I was well before her. There's so many factors to compare. And she also got the rebound covid.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:17 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How do you both know it shortened the length of your illness? My sister and I both got covid at the same time, she took Paxlovid, I didn't, I was well before her. There's so many factors to compare. And she also got the rebound covid.
You can't know with any individual case. But if you are old and infirm, odds are very much better in your favor with the Rx.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 793,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Friend improved dramatically after day 1 of Paxlovid. They were very sick. It is taken for 5 days, 3 tablets bid as I remember. Because of her experience is why I took it.

I also had marked improvement after day 1. I had fever of 104°F & was delirious. I don't even remember a lot of the first part of the illness, I was that sick. I was also very weak & in a lot of pain. And worst of all, I started hacking up huge globs of green & brown, sticky mucous & had a very deep chest cough. I have had pneumonia & never experienced anything this dramatic. I also never had any flu that felt like this. About 2-3 days after completion of treatment, my life was back to normal.

This is a health/medical issue for me. This is not a political issue. I answered this thread to provide information to the OP that posted it, based on my experience & that of my friend. I am not on this thread to debate or be challenged by you or anyone else & will not be responding further.

Last edited by CalWorth; 12-12-2022 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 12:07 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
My wife and I both had covid twice. We would not have known we had it but she had minor surgery both times and tested positive, so I got tested. It was no worse than allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies