Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 08:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
just legalize it already. so dumb that America is so afraid of embracing legal weed. the population overwhelmingly want legal pot
I've heard that Big Tobacco is a culprit in why we haven't seen it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Big Pharma has been against it too. The use of cannabis (not that I use it because I can't stand the smell) can be used in the place of painkillers and digestive medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 08:17 PM

25,737 posts, read 18,809,520 times
The nonsense people worry about as the nation crumbles around them is astounding.

Y'all don't mind "volunteering" four hours of labor out of each day to the federal government, elites, and parasite class, and have nearly every right and privacy stripped from you, but by God, it's a huge infringement upon your freedoms if the federal government won't allow you to make yourself stupid with various substances.

Personally, I couldn't care less if you all become heroin addicts. Or crackheads. Knock yourself out. What baffles me is that you are perfectly willing to give away the rights that really matter... but have a total meltdown over the ones that don't amount to a hill of ****.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:42 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That may have been the case 30-40 years ago.

But now, "older folks" are aging hippies and former potheads themselves.

Being in the latter of those two groups myself, I don't really have a problem with legalization in theory.

But in practice....there are some issues that will have to be delt with.

1. Strength

Today's weed is MUCH stronger than most people who smoked in the 60's - 80's remember.
So it's not quite as innocuous as our memories would suggest. We're talking the difference between beer and whiskey as far as THC levels go.

2. Taxation, regulation.

States that have legalized it already aren't seeing the tax revenue that they anticipated. And if they over tax and regulate, consumers will just go back to the black market. And how do you tell the difference between legal weed and black market weed?

3. Testing

There still are no reliable tests that can discern between someone who is actively high at the moment and someone who may have used the day or week before.
This makes DUI and workplace testing problematic to say the least.

4. Distribution and licensing

Getting licence to grow, distribute and sell is already an issue in states where it's been legalized. When it's legalized on a federal level, the amount of red tape will probably only get worse. Big tobacco will probably try to monopolize but that might prove to be difficult because it's really not that hard to grow decent weed yourself.

Workplace testing is not a problem due to whether legal or not it is prohibited always 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies