Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 04:09 PM

6,645 posts, read 2,956,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Or they could do a "Strange World" theme. See how that works.
welp,...there's always Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Seven Dwarves Mine Train! ;p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 04:38 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
It’s unbelievable how stupid these people are. I could turn this company around in 60 min.

They’re all hungry for another slice of wrong. Good luck!
Don't kid yourself, you are no Bob Iger. He is a well respected CEO. Let's see what he does.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:49 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
It was assumed the new CEO was going to rein in the "woke" so as to head off the backlash Disney has been receiving in recent years. When you say you are going to keep doing what people thought you were going to stop doing, it is called "doubling down". It doesn't literally mean they are doubling the movies that are woke or something.

"Double down" just means you push back and stand firm in the face of strong criticism or hostile actions.
Iger started "the woke". He's not the new CEO, he's the old CEO reinstated.

Honestly if you don't know this you are speaking out your proverbial.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:52 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Iger started "the woke". He's not the new CEO, he's the old CEO reinstated.

Honestly if you don't know this you are speaking out your proverbial.
Precisely. Chapek was the fall guy from the get go. All of the woke crap was already approved, squeezed out and in the pipes when Iger was CEO.

It's the Who song all over - meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:54 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
So, they have to close a ride with no racist features whatsoever, because it happens to have been inspired by an 80-year-old movie that was mainstream at the time.

Got it.

That is your New and Improved Disney.

Iconic Disney Ride Set to Close in Less Than 2 Months Due to Being 'Not Appropriate in Today's World'

The reason? Splash Mountain’s current theme draws inspiration from the 1946 Disney film “Song of the South,” which depicts life on a plantation after slavery’s abolition.

https://www.westernjournal.com/iconi...-todays-world/
What morons.

Are they going to replace it with TransLand?

Old 12-04-2022, 05:07 PM

6,645 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Are all negative talking points about, say, blacks "anti-black"?
it's not even 'negative'. Telling a black group to stop seeking handouts from whites and seek higher education and positive self-reinforcement shouldn't count as 'Negative'.

You can disagree with the approach but saying you can be strong and responsible for your actions without pointing the finger at whites sounds pretty positive to me.

If you don't agree, then just say you don't agree. No need to launch it into some anti-black racist thing.

imho

Old 12-04-2022, 05:21 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Igor Iger has spoken.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:29 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Guess I have more of the gambling definition of the term, where "doubling down" means you add skin to the game (doesn't have to be exactly doubling). In other words, you increase what you're doing (either in effort or output).

Plus his comment:

“We’re certainly not going to lessen our core values in order to make everyone happy all the time,” he then assured his employees. “So, it’s complicated, and there’s a balance.”

Makes his stance appear to be more measured. Even with your definition, I'm not sure I'd personally use that expression.
Good definition, and true.

Your definition is more accurate. The one used for the article title is somewhat hyperbolic but it has become common to use "double down" to just mean standing firm. The English language has gotten pretty sloppy. It used to be precise for the longest time. Now, if something is used widly but in error, the language just changes to adopt it out of conformity.

Back in the day, you would be corrected and strongly encouraged to stop using the word incorrectly.

I noticed 2 decades ago, that if a word was misspelled long enough, the dictionaries would simply included it as an "alternate" spelling. When I was a child, spelling bees were taken seriously, there was only one propper spelling for any given word, and "alternate" spellings were plain wrong.

I miss those days. Modern culture is very weird. I don't like it.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm willing to wait and see, a little, to see if Iger's actions speak louder than his words. Here's what he said about inclusion, according to the article:

If he means "inclusion" according to how the dictionary defines that word, I'm all for it. Why wouldn't Disney, or any other company, want to include as many people as possible? But if he means "inclusion" in the woke sense of "including everyone who isn't white, heterosexual, and/or conservative," well then, that wouldn't be so good. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough which one he really means.

As far as Splash Mountain goes, it makes perfect sense to update it. They updated the Norway pavilion ride to be based off Frozen; they updated Pirates of the Caribbean to include Jack Sparrow; and it makes sense to update a ride that was based on a movie that almost no one in their audience has seen with a much more recent movie that many people in their audience have seen.

And finally, when I visited Disney earlier this year after almost a decade away, I noticed that Pirates of the Caribbean had been modified not only by adding Jack Sparrow, but by deleting the little bit where chained-up brides were being offered for sale. Other than missing a little bit of whimsy from my childhood, the change didn't really bother me. After all, it's an amusement ride, not a documentary on Caribbean Sea piracy.
Disney took down the captive women being sold at auction around 5 years ago.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:33 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Good for Disney...they want to be shown they were on the right side of history....that of acceptance over intollerance.
There was no "intolerance" in the first place, until Disney created it by pandering to LGBTQ+ in a HUGE way. Families go to Disney, well, went to Disney for fun, not to have their children indoctrinated. Disney is on a path to destruction, and have been for some time. We have been to Disney World 10 times, but in 2000, the place was not being kept up, and there was a very unsafe feeling. Combine all of that, and Disney is on life support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The purpose of movies is to entertain your audience. If you make movies with the goal of pushing an agenda you risk losing customers. Subtly of message seems to be a lost art form. Movies in the past have managed to subtly insert a message without hitting the audience over the head with a sledgehammer. Disney movies’s target audience are children but it is their parents who decide if their child will pay money to watch the film.
Great post! Subtly has been doing the job for decades, but then, if you are pushing certain messages, that would not work. Disney is done, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies