Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 07:18 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,876,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Meh. It's North Carolina. Probably a couple of good ol' boys out drinking in their Eff-One-Fiddy and thought it would be cool to take some shots at a transformer. Rural areas are littered with traffic signs riddled with bullet holes. Bubba loves shootin' stuff.
I think this was more than just that because two different substations were hit. This had to be done deliberately and they knew exactly where to target the bullets to cause the most damage.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:30 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Well, if the FBI is involved then they think there is a political motivation.

That somewhere, hidden, is a drag show as an excuse to turn out the lights for what they thought would be zillions of people ok, but as far as political motivations go "Im gonna show those planet killers what power and modern conveniences do to us by forcing them to live primitive" would not be the first time ever, hell would not be the first time this year, that sabotage was leveraged against our infrastructure.

I am kinda curious exactly what they shot up tho...
I could tell you, but the FBI might not like it. I'm not saying what was done or that I know what was done, but I know how to do it. After 35 years working (Substation/Transmission) for an electric utility ... I know. In fact I've been involved in many, many shooting investigations into facilities.

Times have changed. earthen berms, ballistic fences, drones, cameras, motion detectors, razor wire, etc. Still a well place round or other projectiles can create havoc in a substation.

PS... the FBI gets involved when transmission facilities are affected, otherwise just the local sheriff.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:25 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I think this was more than just that because two different substations were hit. This had to be done deliberately and they knew exactly where to target the bullets to cause the most damage.
About 9 years ago this happened.

Anyone posting to this thread should read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

Old 12-06-2022, 08:39 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
$20 says this was done by a couple of bored derelict kids.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
huh? these were entire substations. but i'd like to hear more about this magical inability of rifles to hit electrical targets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You should a rifle at a wire and tell me how many shots it takes to hit it.
what part of 'substation' did you fail to understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You understand the difference between a wire and a transformer, right?
clearly, no.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Or the proponents did it to besmirch the protestors.....all's fair in love and war.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:48 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Or the proponents did it to besmirch the protestors.....all's fair in love and war.
That is my alternate theory. Frame your enemies. We have been seeing this on school campuses with hoax hate crimes done by the woke with a noose or swastika, to create an opportunity to scream, "look at the right wing hate and racism!"

They get caught crying wolf and wonder why we never believe it anymore when it happens for realz.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:05 AM

3,329 posts, read 1,961,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
yep. Either that or another "authorities found a noose" act of vandalism by antifa or trans activists.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:44 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
why are all assuming it was Christian militants and it apparently is perfectly fine to blame a group without seeing the facts come out i thought that was wrong to jump to conclusions
As usual, media floats a conspiracy theory about Christian militants being responsible and the usual suspects jump on it like its the truth. While it may be (although doubtful), why not wait for actual facts to be known? You can bet if it is the work of a leftist group, media reports will go strangely silent.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:07 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
What ever it left a hole or holes big enough to cause the oil to leak from the transformers. The oil made the fence line.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/05/thousa...a-substations/

Oil leak noted in picture. Oil in transformers helps keep them cool.
The number one reason for Oil is for an insulation medium inside a TX. It has a dielectric strength rating, that allows TX's to be smaller with closer surface tolerances. Cooling is secondary. Cooling allows higher loading but a TX would do fine without tertiary cooling.

If the oil level drops, you get a stage I alarm, if it drops further level II and then a timer begins and you have a designated time (rely setting) to either add oil or switch the TX out of service. If oil is not added it locks out before it fails (can blow up) .... self isolates and if the station has 1 or two more TX's the load is shared between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCI2ItQts5A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies