Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 01:07 PM

908 posts, read 441,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
1) Genocide doesn't require exterminating an entire people (or attempt to do so) to constitute genocide;

2) Ukraine has already ceded territory to Russia twice in 12 years. That still wasn't enough for Russia. Ukraine has zero reason to believe they can achieve a long-term peace with Russia by ceding even more. This has become an existential war for Ukraine and they have no moral, legal, or practical obligation to refrain from attacking military targets within their aggressor's borders.

Yes you are certainly correct that genocide is a rather broad term , however I must question why some refer to the ongoing Russian bombardment of civilian infrastructure as being an example of genocide , when ( while it can certainly be classed as a war crime ) the mere act of doing so has never been classed as such throughout various points in history .

As we all know bombardment of civilian infrastructure comparable to what is going on now has occurred numerous times in the past and yet it isn't commonplace ( quite rightly I might add ) to see the bombing of Dresden or even that of the FRY in 1999 being referred to as an act of genocide , in spite of many people calling those specific acts prime examples of war crimes .

Of course one may object that this is mere nit picking , yet I still take the stance of it being highly necessary in tense situations like this to not exaggerate , since nothing good can come out of making things out to be more than what they actually are .

To further illustrate my point , in spite of unequivocally condemning the conduct of the USA with respect to the bombings of Laos/Cambodia , I ( and many others no doubt ) would never dream of referring to those events as examples of genocide since there is no evidence of the USA having deliberately targeted the Laotian/Cambodian people for extermination in spite of all the deaths it caused .

So until concrete proof emerges of there being more Ukrainian civilian casualties that would be indicative of an actual genocide , in the sense that certain critics of Russia are using now , along with ( f.ex ) daily announcements from the Russian press about there being a vast need to exterminate Ukrainians , I must hold to my position of simply referring to current Russian actions as being examples of war crimes as opposed to genocide in the sense that it's being currently used in .

With regard to the issue of ceding territory , I do not believe that either side should cede territory to the other in a unilateral way , on the contrary I believe that popular referendums concerning territorial status should have been held at least as far back as 2014 .

To this very day people continue to debate whether or not the population of regions like the Crimea or Donbas want to remain in Ukraine or join Russia , which is precisely why I insist that they should have been allowed to vote on the matter under the auspices of a proper internationally monitored referendum .

If the UN , OSCE , EU , USA , and of course Russia and Ukraine themselves had pushed for this back in the day , then there would at least be a sliver of a chance that we wouldn't be seeing this carnage .

Naturally there is a whole lot more to this ongoing conflict than a mere territorial dispute related to ethnic composition , but I do hope that I've given a sufficient enough response for now .

Last edited by William Blakeley; 12-05-2022 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 02:53 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
History disagrees with you. Once Russia tastes blood, they don’t stop. If Ukraine falls to Russia, the Baltics, Kazakhstan, or Georgia is next.

Putin wants all the former Soviet territories back under his control. He has made that very clear.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:12 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Let me see if I got this right. Russia has been bombing targets well inside Ukrainian borders for 9 months now. And Ukraine is not supposed to bomb targets well within Russian boarders? Is that what some of you are saying?

Say Mexico starts lobbing bombs into Texas. We not supposed to lob bombs back into Mexico but instead just try to shoot them down as they come over the border?

Get real.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:37 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Let me see if I got this right. Russia has been bombing targets well inside Ukrainian borders for 9 months now. And Ukraine is not supposed to bomb targets well within Russian boarders? Is that what some of you are saying?

Say Mexico starts lobbing bombs into Texas. We not supposed to lob bombs back into Mexico but instead just try to shoot them down as they come over the border?

Get real.
What if those bombs the Mexicans lobbed at us had “Proudly Made in Russia” on them?

Old 12-05-2022, 03:40 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Don't worry, I'm sure Joe Biden has the smarts and ability to deal with this.

LOL! Sad.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:49 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I still think we are in the early stages of WWIII. Attacking a Russian military base is a big provocation.

Explosion at Nuclear Airbase Just 150 Miles From Moscow Opens Stunning New Phase of War

Two explosions at major Russian military bases, including the Dyagilevo base near Ryazan just 150 miles from Moscow, mean the war in Ukraine has come right to Vladimir Putin’s doorstep.

The explosions—which may have been missile or drone strikes but that has yet to be confirmed—suggest that whoever is behind them wanted to strike fear right in the heart of Russia.
Well, annexing parts of Ukraine, and then attacking cities and towns within the nation of Ukraine, that also seems like "a big provocation."

Old 12-05-2022, 03:50 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What if those bombs the Mexicans lobbed at us had “Proudly Made in Russia” on them?
Or "have all the earmarks of" made in Russia.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:06 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why make up hypotheticals, it happened during Vietnam and Korea.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:23 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure Joe Biden has the smarts and ability to deal with this.

LOL! Sad.
As much as I don't like Biden, I do have to ask, what could any president really do at this point to de-escalate tensions between Russia and Ukraine? If we were to try to engage Russia then we pretty much ignite WWIII and it will certainly go Nuclear very quickly.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:25 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I still think we are in the early stages of WWIII. Attacking a Russian military base is a big provocation.

Explosion at Nuclear Airbase Just 150 Miles From Moscow Opens Stunning New Phase of War

Two explosions at major Russian military bases, including the Dyagilevo base near Ryazan just 150 miles from Moscow, mean the war in Ukraine has come right to Vladimir Putin’s doorstep.

The explosions—which may have been missile or drone strikes but that has yet to be confirmed—suggest that whoever is behind them wanted to strike fear right in the heart of Russia.
Assuming it was Ukraine, one would think Russia might be aware that they are at war with Ukraine and that Ukraine might target Russian military infrastructure. I'm not seeing why (assuming it was Ukraine) that this would be "WW3." Seems to me it might be expected since Russia isn't doing as well as they had planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies