Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 02:40 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times

Advertisements

Its interesting that santurary states gave in, as many illegal immigrants who they give licenses to would be exposed. The scheme is more about info sharing than the ID itself. Also it means those who don't get it would have a "federal limits apply" on their licenses. I am surprised those states don't resist and states don't go for enhanced driving licenses instead which is valid for anything that requires a Real ID but can be used to travel across the border like a passport card.

If big gorillas like CA or NY will not give in I strongly think the feds would eventually give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 04:05 AM

284 posts, read 1,020,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No wonder some states can't meet the deadline. If you can renew a license for ten years, it would take more than 10 years just for everyone to cycle through the renewal process.

What state allows a 10 year renewal on a driver's license? The most I have ever been able to do is 4 years.
When I moved to AZ my driver's license expiration date was set to the day i turn 65. I was 30 when I got it.

But you have to retake your photo every 12 years, to me the experience was the same as renewing it..

Edit: just looked it up, found a news article that said there is no penalty for not updating the photo after 12 years. Guess I wasted my time and money. They sent me a notice and it seemed like it was required.

Last edited by JasonS; 12-07-2022 at 04:15 AM..

Old 12-07-2022, 04:39 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
The left: Voter ID laws are racist

Also the left: Get a star on your ID or you can't board a plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I think if you have a passport, you don't need real id. Just use your passport for air travel. That my plan. I heard too many issues with people getting real id.
Correct, not worth the headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I tried to use my valid US passport to get a Real ID. According to the DMV, a valid US passport (non-expired) is insufficient proof of identity for a Real ID. I had to get my birth certificate... AND marriage certificate to prove my name changed in 1984 when I got married.
Correct, I needed my birth certificate and SS card. They don't care about a passport, which is absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
. I already have Global Entry Card, a passport card and a passport book for that. I don't need a REAL ID and waste $25.
Yup, just get a passport.

Last edited by Rocko20; 12-07-2022 at 04:47 AM..

Old 12-07-2022, 06:26 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am surprised by this.

I would like to learn more about it. Thanks for bringing it up.
Similar to the other poster who said their passport wasn't sufficient ID to get a state-issued RealID.

I happened to have MY birth certificte, so I was good to go. Wife didn't have (and never had) a state-issued Texas birth certifiate, so she had to prove to Nebraska she was who she said she was her whole life, with birth, marriage, divorce, and re-marriage documents. Not only an inconvenience, but one with not-insignifcant costs.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I will say that if you require a state ID to vote, said state ID should be issued free of charge. Yeah, driver’s licenses or equivalent may only be something like $50 for five years but to me that’s still conceptually a poll tax at that point.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:01 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No wonder some states can't meet the deadline. If you can renew a license for ten years, it would take more than 10 years just for everyone to cycle through the renewal process.

What state allows a 10 year renewal on a driver's license? The most I have ever been able to do is 4 years.
The first time I am hearing of a DL renewed for just 4 years. When I lived in NJ long time ago it was much longer than that, probably 5 or 10 years.

In SC it has always been 10 years between renewals. Now after this REAL ID nonsense they have shorted it a bit to 8 years.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:33 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
I am surprised that so many people are complaining about the Real ID.

It was a part of legislation introduced after the 9/11 tragedy, to combat terrorism, and it is regulated by Homeland Security.

For those who believe in voter integrity, it can provide an extra assurance that the person is who they claim to be. There is an added level of integrity in the background check and this is also good whether one is in a state with voter ID required or whether one's state has the motor-voter registration policy.

It is a bit inconvenient to get, the first time I asked for one about four years ago I didn't have all the necessary documents so I can understand the irritation over that, but I think overall it is a good thing.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:53 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:

It was a part of legislation introduced after the 9/11 tragedy, to combat terrorism, and it is regulated by Homeland Security.

For those who believe in voter integrity, it can provide an extra assurance that the person is who they claim to be. There is an added level of integrity in the background check and this is also good whether one is in a state with voter ID required or whether one's state has the motor-voter registration policy.

It is a bit inconvenient to get, the first time I asked for one about four years ago I didn't have all the necessary documents so I can understand the irritation over that, but I think overall it is a good thing.
its more than inconvenient for some. good friend of mine was born in the city of boston. she had a boston city BC. went to public school in boston. owned property and had a job in boston for years. Real ID nonsense comes along and the state of Ma refused to grant her a real ID. they didnt like her BC. which was issued by Boston! they didnt want to grant her a renewal of a reg dl!

I also had a very similar problem. the state of Ma wouldnt accept my bc which they had accepted for 50 yrs and half of my ancestors fought in the revolution! they wouldnt even renew my DL for a reg DL. nothing had changed. The state where I was born told me I had a legal document and the problem was Ma, not the dept of homeland security or the BC. they suggested I move to a decent state. So I had to spend 225. to get an expedited passport to renew my reg dl. Its nonsense!

Old 12-10-2022, 04:34 PM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:

As many posters have noted, quite often it's not limited to 'the first time'.

If it's going to be a national mandate, then as much as we all hate it, the federal government needs to administer it so it's consistent across the states.

Old 12-10-2022, 04:38 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:

Terrorism committed by citizens ? Because this realID is not a global thing.
And that Congress allowed extensions for this long.....

Yeah..really not needed at all. But they do have all our pictures for "facial recognition" now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies