Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 01:48 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,194,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
These days, a man can really only do that to the extent that his wife allows him.
That’s a depressing thought. Couldn’t imagine marrying any such person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 01:50 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Who is MIke Rowe, and where is he getting his statistics?

I mean, really, people are just commenting upon this statement and making all kinds of speculations as to why, but the only reference is to a 'Mike Rowe' fellow and what he said, not to study done or a database that I can tell.
Mike Rowe is most famous for the TV series Dirty Jobs.

He feels college is wasted on a large number of men who should be going into the trades. He's probably right.

I started watching him in 1995 when he was co-host of a San Francisco-based show called Evening Magazine. The best part of the show was his corny jokes that flew over the head of his co-host, Malou Nubla. She used to get this blank stare that was funnier than his stupid jokes.
So he is just a television personality?

A talking head?

He works off a script at a network?

I wouldn't take his opinion to heart. Those people thrive on controversy, that how the model works ... if they haven't got one to hand, they (or their writers) make it up for ratings.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:52 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Mike Rowe is a celebrity who has opinions.
Common sense and normal opinions which you and everyone else on the left hate.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:

A talking head?

I wouldn't take his opinion to heart. Those people thrive on controversy, if they haven't got one to hand, they (or their writers) make it up for ratings.
He has his views on the working man....while never having been one....lol. Look he goes in and does the job for a bit to do a tv show about it -- but that's not living a working man's life.

But he was responding to the data given by an economist. I'm not sure where they get the 7 million figure.

And it is clear by the article, and the discussion here that there are a million and one theories on the decline of men working. Can't say it isn't because there aren't any jobs because there are jobs at almost every skill level these days. Everything from computer technology to entry level, construction to retail sales, etc.

It is clear people aren't sure exactly and then to make some forecast of doom and gloom, given that we aren't clear how or why -- seems a little bit strange.

Last edited by moneill; 12-06-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:

A talking head?

I wouldn't take his opinion to heart. Those people thrive on controversy, that how the model works ... if they haven't got one to hand, they (or their writers) make it up for ratings.
Lol. He has more experience in the working world than most anyone, and pushes research and educating oneself to find what suits them in acquiring quality jobs without putting themselves in college debt. You should do some research before making assumptions.

https://mikerowe.com/about-mike/resume/

Old 12-06-2022, 01:58 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
IF this is about forced early retirement (something I am intimately familiar with) I can understand the figure.

The large corporation I worked for forced me into retirement in 2019. They had the excuse ready-made for them: Covid recession ... they promptly laid off all the older workers they could get away with, and I was one of them.

it's not about RIF'ing older workers, but it would be interesting to hear about a 2019 layoff that was because of Covid.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 1,860,989 times
Both of my parents stopped working permanently during Covid. So there’s my anecdotal data point.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:03 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Many men retired early like myself. I was done by age 50. Put the biz in our Son's name, & I carry the paper. He pays us monthly as loan repayment, so I'm invisible to fed labor stats...unemployed, but still have a steady sizeable income stream as a lender.

Lots of 50+ men checked out after making a killing in stocks from 2009 to today. Some still trade.

Some 50+ made a killing in the land/real estate run up...some are landords, so are biz owners, not employees.

40+ White males are nearly unemployable in big biz, except for low wage positions, so they now work side gigs...under the radar.

This is why the feds want to track ALL deposits going into checking accounts over $600...to flush out track the side giggers incomes, who may be avoiding payroll, and income taxes.

This group is why the 87,000 new IRS agents....its not just to go after the top 1%....they wouldn't need 87,000 to do that. Computers do most of the IRS auditing, they flag outliers that the agents then audit.

I know quite a few 40+ guys in each of these categories. They tend to hang out together in certain places.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's not about RIF'ing older workers, but it would be interesting to hear about a 2019 layoff that was because of Covid.
Living in fear and shutting it down caused millions of boomers to retire leaving a huge void in filling jobs.

https://www.axios.com/2021/10/29/mil...g-the-pandemic

Old 12-06-2022, 02:04 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Wait until you see the numbers for women

Doesn't bug me any at all. Majority of people work for a paycheck. If men or women don't need to work for a paycheck that's their business and more power to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies