Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 09:02 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Young people now understand what "voluntary indentured slaves" actually means. Seek your safe space immediately.

Debt... there's smart debt and stupid debt. Learn to live and pass it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 09:28 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Help = some or many taxpayers

How much are you willing to give?
I give plenty already, take it out of that.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:29 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
How about we stop printing money out of thin air and using it to buy votes
Democrats are having great success with it though.

They love handing out free stuff.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:15 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You're not relieving US citizens of any debt.

You are just transferring it from one debt column (education debt) to another debt column (overall national debt).

Government should not be in the student loan business.
And its benefitting the "elite," the 40% or so that have college degrees. The people who are in a position to get a college degree aren't the ones who should be getting entitlements.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:27 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Hear me out. Normally I'd be opposed to handouts. However, let's get real, we're giving endless handouts to FOREIGNERS, for example hundreds of billions to Ukraine and untold billions to illegal aliens all in just one year. Add on other forms of foreign aid and the UN budget. How about instead of subsidizing foreigners we instead embrace diverting some of that money to relieve US Citizens of their education debt.

It would be a winning issue for Republicans and, by emphasizing this is only for US Citizens, would be completely consistent with a populist America-first agenda that is inevitably the GOP's only future. Stop it with the handouts to foreigners.

Of course, the republicans are too milquetoast to realize this.
Pay your own bills or dont go to college its a choice you make. And no i dont want to pay for anyone’s college..it we paid for my husband our son and grandson. We are not rich just worked hard.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:44 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Thread too long, didn't read.

JMO,
A 17 yo, an underpriviledge-low income family, may not have the financial knowledge or life experience to understand debt financial ramifications if not repaid.

I am sure that DOE was aware of the problem very early on but Congress and Politics ignored the problem for a long time.
YLMV

Old 12-08-2022, 11:19 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I'm all for tweaking education policy, but again, I don't hear about anyone talking about tweaking our approach to providing health insurance. We effectively subsidize workers' insurance....don't tax them on employer contributions for their health insurance. Subsidize anything and we create more demand...in this case more demand for medical services. Prices of medicines, treatments, professional services therefore go up. Absolutely why we spend so much more on health care in this country than in other places....we subsidize it more. I think there are a lot of people on these Boards who have no trouble complaining about the unfairness of canceling student loans, but they either choose to ignore, or fail to consider, that the too are beneficiaries of the government's largess. But they see themselves as victims...other people (student borrowers in this case) are the villains.
well, after repeating that "student loan forgiveness" isn't a subsidy at all, and "employer-paid premiums" are only a subsidy to the extent that it's not counted as income to the employee and FICA and income taxes collected on it ... meanwhile, anyone that gets their own insurance and if self-employed DO get to write the premiums off, the cost of insurance is generally MUCH higher for them than employees of a larger business.

I would say this - we should absolutely generally go to high-deductible plans, and you can get the employers to fund some portion of that deductible (HSA), or even the government to subsidize it. How you work that with chronic/pre-existing conditions is above my pay grade. But if you go to HDHP's and HSA's, then individuals very quickly become informed and choice-making consumers of the health care they NEED vs that which is "covered".

but again, "health care" is a wildly-different topic from student loans/forgiveness

Old 12-08-2022, 11:31 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
GOP should sue large universities for Fraud in career numbers.

Varsity Blues alone is enough to prove it.

Get MILLIONS OF DOLLARS back from these places... give that money back to people who paid for useless degrees... put these commie training facilities out of business and get the commie administrators fired.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:25 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I give plenty already, take it out of that.
So you want to unfund something to give student loan gifts? Any idea who you want to get less?

Old 12-08-2022, 12:59 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Because elitist progressives look down at blue collar workers as undeducated dirt bags not worthy of their time. To the progressives, only real people have college degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ok.....

But why just college students?

Why not trade school students?

Why not my mortgage?

Why not my car payment?

Why not remodeling my kitchen?

What makes students so special that they need debt relief above and beyond anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies