Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 10:22 AM

52,268 posts, read 34,016,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I expect a very, very large part of the success is swift and sure consequences for the bad actors. There is no logical reason this couldn't be applied here.
don't they do it [caning] in public? that would presumably also be a major factor in its success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,366,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fair enough. And the fact that you loved Japan, and their society , is telling. Not in a bad way or anything, you just have a completely different mindset, than I. I worked for a couple of Japanese owned companies, and got to know many individuals that were from there, and sat through multiple "cultural training" classes to try and acclimate us to the Japanese way of thinking and living. It certainly isn't for me, that is for sure.
I adjust to whatever is thrown at me. I went from places like Japan and now I am in rural WV. It was weird coming back 5 years ago when things slowly seemed to turn into a cesspool. The people here really have gone completely wacky. I don't mean WV but all of America. I haven't seen anything this dysfunctional in my life.

Just so you know I do own a gun. A home self defense unit shotgun. Because as the rules are I would be a fool not to use whatever laws are available to my advantage. If things changed I would reconsider but all of this is just the internet and nothing will change anyway. The mentality to change just isn't there. I recognize that.

It's odd they gave you courses. In Japan when you work in the office as a foreigner you are not expect3d to 'now or follow their customs. You can go home before the boss etc. it's your skill that gets you in the door even if you are a tad unrefined according to local standards. I don't mean you but in general.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:38 AM

29,895 posts, read 11,487,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I am for cutting the fingers off of shoplifters on live TV for everyone to see.
Problem is we have laws but penalties are a joke. I helped a friend here in Oklahoma who got into a little trouble. She was accused of entering an empty home without permission. Anyways. Reality is petty crimes like shoplifting or illegal drug possession rarely result in actual prison time. If you can make bail you are sitting at best a few hours in the city or county jail. You have a court date, you plead guilty and that is that. And there are people that have had this happen to them dozens of times. Once you have a couple convictions a few more do no matter. So there is no deterrent to committing these crimes.

So all we have to do is put people in jail for a year for burglary or shop lifting or drug possession. It means building lots more jails and prisons and investing on those. But crime would plummet. It would be a very good investment.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:43 AM

5,832 posts, read 2,672,072 times
Would you accept Singaporean-style law here?

No.

All we have to do to solve the crime issues here is to....wait for it...wait...

Enforce the laws that are already on the books.

The solution is simple. What's weird is the democrats have calculated that high crime and chaos is a winning solution for them (and they do in fact keep winning in Democrat run, high crime cities).

Old 12-07-2022, 10:47 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,578,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Enforce the laws that are already on the books.
Start with the wealthy capitalists committing trust violations, wage theft, insider trading and so on.

(They will never start with the wealthy.)

Old 12-07-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Problem is we have laws but penalties are a joke. I helped a friend here in Oklahoma who got into a little trouble. She was accused of entering an empty home without permission. Anyways. Reality is petty crimes like shoplifting or illegal drug possession rarely result in actual prison time. If you can make bail you are sitting at best a few hours in the city or county jail. You have a court date, you plead guilty and that is that. And there are people that have had this happen to them dozens of times. Once you have a couple convictions a few more do no matter. So there is no deterrent to committing these crimes.

So all we have to do is put people in jail for a year for burglary or shop lifting or drug possession. It means building lots more jails and prisons and investing on those. But crime would plummet. It would be a very good investment.
The thing is past convictions should matter. That's why there is a point system for sentencing guidelines. Also it will make a difference in what kind of stop you get.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:54 AM

4,459 posts, read 2,183,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
So you would give up your guns? Let's not forget that is a huge component of Singapore style laws. You also don't get to pick and choose which ones you like.
I would. The reason many people have them is for protection. If crime is pretty much non-existent then I would not need one.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I would. The reason many people have them is for protection. If crime is pretty much non-existent then I would not need one.
I would turn my shotgun in. All I use it for is defending my house. I have only shot it enough times to make sure it functions. Finally we agree on something.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:01 AM

28,988 posts, read 14,336,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I adjust to whatever is thrown at me. I went from places like Japan and now I am in rural WV. It was weird coming back 5 years ago when things slowly seemed to turn into a cesspool. The people here really have gone completely wacky. I don't mean WV but all of America. I haven't seen anything this dysfunctional in my life.

Just so you know I do own a gun. A home self defense unit shotgun. Because as the rules are I would be a fool not to use whatever laws are available to my advantage. If things changed I would reconsider but all of this is just the internet and nothing will change anyway. The mentality to change just isn't there. I recognize that.

It's odd they gave you courses. In Japan when you work in the office as a foreigner you are not expect3d to 'now or follow their customs. You can go home before the boss etc. it's your skill that gets you in the door even if you are a tad unrefined according to local standards. I don't mean you but in general.
I will agree with you on how dysfunctional our society is at the moment. Our country is in turmoil, and I don't see how it will right itself. I think it is going to morph into something completely different than what we've had.

Yeah, the courses were an eye opener for sure. At first, I kind of laughed, but eventually I started to feel sorry for how tough it is for them growing up. I guess that is why the suicide rates were so high over there for a while.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I will agree with you on how dysfunctional our society is at the moment. Our country is in turmoil, and I don't see how it will right itself. I think it is going to morph into something completely different than what we've had.

Yeah, the courses were an eye opener for sure. At first, I kind of laughed, but eventually I started to feel sorry for how tough it is for them growing up. I guess that is why the suicide rates were so high over there for a while.
I can't rep you but always enjoy a little bit of debate with you. We disagree much of the time but I also see that you will actually try to see the other side of an argument if one makes any sense. That's rare around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies