Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 09:16 PM

46,997 posts, read 26,047,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Marriage is something you do, not something you are. Many people do not marry.
And many people with the right to do so don't vote. What's your point?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:18 PM

46,997 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Is this difficult or something?
I guess that got answered.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:20 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
You've described exactly how abortion, same-sex marriage, trans imposition and other 'progressive' platforms were forced onto us via Federal/State legislation. Amazing how the left talked about the threat to a 50 year precedent of abortion, but ignore the precedent of near 200 years of no legal abortions. Precedent of many more years without same-sex marriage than the opposite Brad and Burt of today. But yeah, let's talk 'precedents' and what is forced on whom.Then it would also be fair for this group to sue this restaurant and its operators all the way up to the Supreme Court for their discriminatory practice, just as gay couples do.
Except no one is forcing you to have an abortion, enter into a same sex marriage, nor be trans.

The only way any of that would really be any of your business/should be an of your concern would be if you had a child in a public school who is being forced to share a biologically mixed locker room or if you had a daughter who is an athlete forced to compete against biological boys, or both.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:22 PM

1,930 posts, read 560,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The original article included information on the group's own stated goal, mission statement, if you will. They work against the LGBT community. The restaurant has members of that group among their staff. So yes, I made a logical assumption based on known information and knowledge of human behavior. The restaurant stated they did not want to subject their staff to a group whose stated purpose was to disparage them.
Here is some known information. "A restaurant in Richmond last week canceled a reservation for a private event being held by a conservative Christian organization, citing the group’s opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion rights."

Yeah, sounds like it would have been a real dastardly luncheon. A lot of people in America have the same feelings, hence the controversial subjects. The restaurant could save itself a lot of trouble if they would just post this refusal to serve such people in their ads or on the door.

Last edited by Stepnking; 12-07-2022 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-07-2022, 09:23 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So, anything imaginable gets a free pass, if it's someone's religion. No, we don't agree.
It shouldn't get a free pass, but that's the law, and it's one of the many enormous downsides to diversity/pluralism. If you want to undo 60 years of civil rights law, go for it. I'm all for mutuality of consent in business and personal relationships.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:26 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
"Hatred", "hate", "bigot" and "racist" are the liberal buzz words. I actually saw a list of words that they were to use some time ago on the internet. I wonder how the restaurant usually knows which customers are Christians, which oppose gay marriage (as some don't), who would become violent against their wait staff, etc., or if they intend to only do this with large groups of Christians. They made fools of themselves.

Also, is anyone aware of a time that anyone in the group had become rude and/or violent when in the public toward members of the LGBTQ+ community? It seemed as though they were viewed as a HUGE THREAT, so there must be more than religious doctrine to back up this nonsense.

They aren't the ones that use force, violent, rudeness and hatefulness, that belongs to the liberals who act toddlers in the terrible twos phase! It isn't just Christians that are having an issue with the violence and hatefulness coming from SOME in the LGBTQ+ community. I am not a Christian, and I think they should be ashamed of the way some of them act, and how it impacts those others that just want to live their lives without grandstanding.

Guess what? People have a right to their opinions. You want your opinions respected and so does everyone else.

So, that made it an "unsafe" environment to serve food? You all better toughen up!

Yes, but only liberals are entitled to decide what shall be and what shall not be.

I know, how immature and filthy! I thought that only happens among the lowest class of people, so I wouldn't think they would have been working there. I worked in food service, and only a moron does that.

I think most businesses would. We are talking about people with differing opinions going to a restaurant for a meal with some staff that may not agree with what those people think.

Again, how does the restaurant normally scan people to know how they feel about members of the LGBTQ+ minority? Do they do like a questionnaire? Or, do they not trust the people to be honest and do a social media search?

Great post, so well worth quoting to make sure more people read it! Remember the old saying "What is good for goose is good for the gander."?

I would not do business with anyone that refuses to serve someone. Also, I have an adult son with Down syndrome, and I can match anyone's discrimination stories with what our life has been like for almost 4 decades, and I continue to fight for rights that my son had in the first place! I get so tired of people whining about discrimination, oh-boo-hoo-hoo!

So the rioters at the Capitol on 1/6 were liberals ?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:26 PM

1,930 posts, read 560,835 times
Quote:
And many people with the right to do so don't vote. What's your point?
The point to which I was replying.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
Quote:
Yeah, sounds like it would have been a real dastardly luncheon.
It doesn't even matter, though. You should have a right to refuse business to customers that make you or your staff feel uncomfortable. Period.

IMO, anyone (establishment or patron or whatever) should have a right to discriminate business based on political and religious ideas and beliefs, or any ideas or beliefs. I guess that's more controversial.

But surely, you don't have to serve someone who makes your employees feel uncomfortable. To say that you should have to do so, that sounds like an extremist position to me.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:30 PM

1,368 posts, read 490,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
It is likely that there is more to the story. Probably someone in the group said something rude or offensive to the staff and "cancelled" was a euphemism for "kicked out". Restaurants kick out rude customers all the time, especially since the pandemic because everyone has gone crazy and there are tons of them now. It is much harder to find waitstaff now so management so management has become more aggressive when it comes to shielding them from rude customers, because they want to keep their servers.
My guess the guest made some comment about a staffer and got them booted.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
It is specifically working to remove the rights for same-sex couples to marry.
Which is not the same thing as "working against" the LGBT "community".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.