Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 03:25 PM

1,693 posts, read 612,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I suppose if my religion believed in human sacrifice the restaurant would have no right to exclude me merely on the basis of my wanting to murder their children.
I’ll bite on the ridiculous comparison (although I shouldn’t). Correct, as long as you are not acting on those beliefs nor causing trouble for the restaurant. I bet you have eaten at a restaurant where employees did not agree with everything you believe. Should they have been able to deny you service? Besides it being against the law, do we want to go there as a society? It would crumble.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:26 PM

831 posts, read 333,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
golly. i wonder what would happen if a restaurant refused to serve, say, gay people - citing the same reason?

of course the comPost files this in the Food section.
As someone who believes in businesses being allowed to serve whoever they want, more power to them. Can't have it both ways. Cake maker shouldn't have to make cakes for homosexual "weddings", flower store shouldn't have to make bouquets for it either and a website designer shouldn't have to design a website for them. Same goes here.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
thank god we have you to define normal for us.
I didn’t. Nature did. Yes or no. Does the human species need male - female relations to survive. Are heterosexual relations central to our very existence? That’s an easy answer.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:28 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
thank god we have you to define normal for us.
We probably should be more appreciative.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Exactly. I think it was silly to refuse to bake a wedding cake. But this is even worse, this is seeing a customer approach the door, you googled them real quick, found out they were gay, slammed the door in their face and told them they were not welcome inside because - gay.
Right. This would be just as wrong and I would not support a restaurant for doing so. This is different than asking a baker to bake a suggesting cake in support of lgbt. This is different than Christians eating at hooters and giving the waitresses a hard time for their clothing.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:30 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
No they aren’t. Homosexuality is not normal.
Homosexuality is commonplace in nature. Just because you stopped learning in middle school doesn't mean something isn't true.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
As someone who believes in businesses being allowed to serve whoever they want, more power to them. Can't have it both ways. Cake maker shouldn't have to make cakes for homosexual "weddings", flower store shouldn't have to make bouquets for it either and a website designer shouldn't have to design a website for them. Same goes here.
Why do you not see the difference? The baker should not be allowed to deny a general cupcake to a gay person but they have the right to not make a suggestive cake. The restaurant does not have the right to deny service to someone for their beliefs, but if those customers are giving staff a hard time for their beliefs then the restaurant has the right to kick them out.

I bet you have eaten in places where ownership or employees don’t see eye to eye with all of your beliefs. Should they have been able to kick you out?

Old 12-07-2022, 03:32 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
I’ll bite on the ridiculous comparison (although I shouldn’t). Correct, as long as you are not acting on those beliefs nor causing trouble for the restaurant. I bet you have eaten at a restaurant where employees did not agree with everything you believe. Should they have been able to deny you service? Besides it being against the law, do we want to go there as a society? It would crumble.
That's not really analogous to this case. If the restaurant was called "Women with Ectopic Pregnancies Should Just Die" and I were a woman in need of a life-saving abortion then yeah I probably would skip it.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:33 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Wrong. Your "conduct" exception would swallow the rule. Imagine going to court to defend a restaurant that says it's happy to serve black customers as long as they recognize some political proposition such as "The 13th Amendment should be repealed". Or that they will serve gay customers but not gay customers who support same-sex "marriage". That won't cut it under existing law.
Yes, because CONDUCT. I'm white. Am I asked that question and only served if I proclaim that all blacks should be slaves? If the answer is yes, it's fine. On the other hand if only black customers are required to state they think blacks should be enslaved and even when they answer yes the restaurant responds with we don't believe you mean it so we're not going to serve you as we think you're lying... well, conduct speaks for what the true motivation is.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Homosexuality is commonplace in nature. Just because you stopped learning in middle school doesn't mean something isn't true.
Nice insult. But you have a strawman argument. Besides sexual orientation is a social construct. It’s a choice for most people. You side now admits to this. Puts iPhone in a tough spot doesn’t it? No gay gene, no trans gene, choice. Hey, and I don’t care what others chose to do with their lives. I could care less what they do in the bedroom. I have gay friends. But let’s not muddy the waters with bs about happens in nature. That argument is meaningless. Without heterosexual relations, that species dies.

But let’s focus on this thread. If you have ever eaten at a restaurant, you have eaten at a place where not all employees agreed with you on something. I guess they should have been able to kick you out. According to you logic and others supporting the restaurant, anytime a staff member disagrees with a patron they should be able to kick them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies