Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 07:27 PM

43,098 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

We'll see if this goes to court like the bakery incident

Old 12-07-2022, 07:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
It’s really easy.

A group was denied service because of its religious beliefs.

That is illegal discrimination.
Then the baking for Jesus chick had no right to refuse to make a cake for a same-sex wedding since discrimination based on sexual orientation is also illegal. But yet many on the Right cheered her on.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:48 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Leviticus 20:13 says that gay men should be put to death. Does it not?

I'm just trying to imagine myself in the shoes of a gay man, who had a business establishment in a supposed free country and free market capitalist society, and a Christian walked in the door. "Hi, yes, I believe that a perfect, infallible being created the entire universe and everything in it, and wrote a perfect, infallible text, which states that you should be put to death, because you are attracted to men, and that is an abomination. I believe that you and your gay employees should be put to death, and I would like service here at your establishment from your gay employees. And if you will not serve me, then that is discrimination and you are a bigot."

I mean, you can do business with who you want to do business with, or not. Everyone can vote with their wallet. It's supposed to be a marketplace of ideas, and if we lack the right to discriminate against certain ideas, then how can better ones emerge?

Old 12-07-2022, 07:53 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Leviticus 20:13 says that gay men should be put to death. Does it not?

I'm just trying to imagine myself in the shoes of a gay man, who had a business establishment in a supposed free country and free market capitalist society, and a Christian walked in the door. "Hi, yes, I believe that a perfect, infallible being created the entire universe and everything in it, and wrote a perfect, infallible text, which states that you should be put to death, because you are attracted to men, and that is an abomination. I believe that you and your gay employees should be put to death, and I would like service here at your establishment from your gay employees. And if you will not serve me, then that is discrimination and you are a bigot."

I mean, you can do business with who you want to do business with, or not. Everyone can vote with their wallet. It's supposed to be a marketplace of ideas, and if we lack the right to discriminate against certain ideas, then how can better ones emerge?
Is it, or is it not, possible to find something equally objectionable, by modern standards, in the Koran? And assuming it is, why would it not be OK to refuse Muslims service at your restaurant, based on your reasoning above? It's the same thing, no?

Old 12-07-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Is it, or is it not, possible to find something equally objectionable, by modern standards, in the Koran? And assuming it is, why would it not be OK to refuse Muslims service at your restaurant, based on your reasoning above? It's the same thing, no?
Absolutely yes. It should be completely okay to refuse either. Christianity and Islam are the 2 great poisons of the world, IMO. Their ridiculous, false, disproven doctrines are holding humanity back and causing suffering, to say the least, and it's about time that we the sane, should be standing up against both religions.

Now, refusing a person of Arab descent because they're of Arab descent, is a completely different matter. So we have to be careful to be making that clear distinction. The bad and unacceptable kind of discrimination is when we're talking about an attribute of someone. What they look like, who they're romantically interested in, etc. That's discrimination and bigotry.

Discriminating against ideas is good discrimination, as far as I'm concerned. Because some ideas are terrible. There should be these type of social pressures against them.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:13 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Absolutely yes. It should be completely okay to refuse either. Christianity and Islam are the 2 great poisons of the world, IMO. Their ridiculous, false, disproven doctrines are holding humanity back and causing suffering, to say the least, and it's about time that we the sane, should be standing up against both religions.

Now, refusing a person of Arab descent because they're of Arab descent, is a completely different matter. So we have to be careful to be making that clear distinction. The bad and unacceptable kind of discrimination is when we're talking about an attribute of someone. What they look like, who they're romantically interested in, etc. That's discrimination and bigotry.

Discriminating against ideas is good discrimination, as far as I'm concerned. Because some ideas are terrible. There should be these type of social pressures against them.
We disagree, then. I don't think it's desirable for a business to discriminate against someone for being Muslim (and certainly, it's not legal). But thank you for clarifying.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:17 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is a dumb move. Money is Money.

I just don't understand how someone could feel threatened by someones ideas? We hear about this happening on college campuses all the time, where a Conservative speaker is invited to speak and half of the students form up in protest while the other half go to their safe spaces. It is words people not bullets.

Some people are just so weak minded to be offended by such things.

What Christian group is Not against Abortion? It doesn't mean that they hate women or that women such as the wait staff at that restaurant should fear them.

Staff "dignity" ? what does that have to do with anything? If we apply their logic to any other group such as Native Americans it smacks of Racism but Christians are an open and approved target for hate.

I do have a question though. If this restaurant refuses to serve Christians because of their beliefs I wonder if somewhere in that Restaurant they have any Christmas decorations? If they do then they are hypocrites.

Oh, the irony.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:18 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
golly. i wonder what would happen if a restaurant refused to serve, say, gay people - citing the same reason?

of course the comPost files this in the Food section.
Let us pray...for a massive lawsuit.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:23 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
I’m fine with this decision. Same with the Colorado bakery decision. The restaurant didn’t want to hold the event that went against their beliefs. The bakery didn’t want to create a cake that went against their beliefs. As long as both establishments don’t refuse to serve any individual based on their religious beliefs.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
We disagree, then. I don't think it's desirable for a business to discriminate against someone for being Muslim (and certainly, it's not legal). But thank you for clarifying.
I mean, if someone says, I'm a Muslim, but I support your rights, then obviously that's a bit different. It's not about people like that. Though we can get into a whole side debate about moderate/liberal religious people.

But IMO, if we are being truly honest, accurate, and technical about these things, a Muslim is someone who chooses to adhere to a belief system, known as Islam. Right? The doctrine of which, clearly condemns homosexuality, which we can clearly see manifest in the practices of Muslim countries, and its horrific executions and such. A Muslim is someone who think that that religion is true.

It's definitely a lot of grey area. But yeah, I fully support discrimination based on beliefs. You shouldn't be able to just have any type of horrific beliefs under the sun, and expect full social acceptance at every turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies