Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 11:05 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,908,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So, anyone at an obviously Jewish deli, who refused entry to people trying to walk in there in Nazi SS uniforms, they should be fired. How dare they feel uncomfortable, I mean, these poor Final Solution advocates were just wanting a bagel.

They're welcome to bring the case- I'm pretty confident they'd lose. But with the SCOTUS being a ridiculous 6-3 right winger outfit, maybe they'd have a chance there on appeal. I don't know.

In a sane world, you should be able to refuse service at your own business to people who oppose your freaking existence and basic rights and dignity.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:06 AM

42,424 posts, read 17,725,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Most here do not own their own business and it shows.

If my employees refused to serve ANYONE for any reason, except for their physical safety, they would no longer have a job. If they are uncomfortable serving people that hold different beliefs they shouldn't be in the service industry where they certainly will encounter someone that holds those views. It IS that simple.

Yes, I have owned a restaurant and had a customer who was vocal around town with their views about gay people. One particular server was gay and knew the customer and his views. The server, however, was a professional and did the job that was required. Only those of us in the back of the house ever knew the complete disdain in which he held that customer. He never complained about having to wait on the customer. He did, quite passionately, let us know what he thought of said customer but, assured us that that would never interfere with his job. In the five years he worked for us, it didn't. That is maturity and professionalism.

No person should be forced to interact with those with whom they are uncomfortable. However, when one signs on to a job in which contact with the public is necessary they should just do that job to the best of their ability and that includes waiting on people that hold views to which the employee is diametrically opposed.
Thank you for that post of sane reasoning.

People have become totally unhinged in this society.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:06 AM

19,103 posts, read 16,937,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Jesus would not approve, and any Christian group practicing otherwise is not Christian.
There are many hypocrites claiming this faith.
My favorite line, and if you don't practice like I say your not a Christian and that's the real hypocrisy

Old 12-08-2022, 11:08 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,908,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The group's reason for being (anti gay activists) is by its nature disrespecting gay people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No, it isn't. Broadly speaking, it's to pursue legislative reform that happens to run mostly counter to a particular LGBT agenda, and agenda which isn't even necessarily supported by all LGBT people. Find me something in their mission statement that talks about disrespecting gay people.

Not that this matters anyway. When you go out to eat with work colleagues, do you expect the staff to comb through your organization's mission statement? If they did, and they told you to leave, wouldn't you wonder what type of biases went into the decision on their end?
How can you say that a group whose reason for being is to take rights away from gay people are not doing something detrimental to gay people?

Sorry, your "logic" does not compute.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:16 AM

4,637 posts, read 4,939,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How can you say that a group whose reason for being is to take rights away from gay people are not doing something detrimental to gay people?

Sorry, your "logic" does not compute.
I didn't say "detrimental." Don't put words in my mouth, please. By the way, all sorts of political groups do all sorts of stuff that's detrimental to me all the time. That's life.

YOU said the group's raison d'etre was to be disrespectful to gay people. But it isn't. It's just that the causes they are pursuing generally run counter to a particular LGBT agenda. Doesn't mean they don't respect gay people as people. And again, it doesn't matter anyway. If you're kicking someone out of your restaurant because of their political activities, one, as Ibginnie said, that's f***ing stupid and cowardly, and two, you better be sure you're not illegally letting certain biases creep into that decision.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:16 AM

5,305 posts, read 4,386,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So, anyone at an obviously Jewish deli, who refused entry to people trying to walk in there in Nazi SS uniforms, they should be fired. How dare they feel uncomfortable, I mean, these poor Final Solution advocates were just wanting a bagel.

They're welcome to bring the case- I'm pretty confident they'd lose. But with the SCOTUS being a ridiculous 6-3 right winger outfit, maybe they'd have a chance there on appeal. I don't know.

In a sane world, you should be able to refuse service at your own business to people who oppose your freaking existence and basic rights and dignity.
To your first point..........yes. They have the right to feel uncomfortable. They do not have the right to refuse service. JMHO

To your last point....yes. However, you are conflating two points. One where the employee is calling the shots and the other where the OWNER is calling the shots.

No person has a right to tell me how to run my business unless they are a monetary partner in said business or local, state or federal laws.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:22 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,629,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
There's a bright-line difference between refusing service based on what someone does (hate speech) versus who they are (sexuality, skin-color, etc.). Note that the group's relevant defining characteristic wasn't "being Christian" (one has to assume, being America, most of their clients are Christian), but rather their activism against gay people.

Edit: One would think the group would be grateful to avoid being served by evil gays.
I waited tables for years through high school and college and my sexual orientation nor stance on abortion ever influenced my ability to do my job nor ever came up in conversation with customers.

Was it the intent of this group to give speeches against sexuality and abortion or demonstrate at this gathering?

Old 12-08-2022, 11:25 AM

88,262 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
That's the cults which push that, not Christians

To be fruitful and multiply is a specific command to Adam and Eve, for obvious reasons. Genesis 1:28

Unless you can show me otherwise where it's a general command or law. Yet that example is likely specific to a certain person(s) too.
The Episcopal Church is not a cult. Neither are Methodists or Lutherans or some of the other churches that welcome LGBTQ people.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:27 AM

4,637 posts, read 4,939,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I waited tables for years through high school and college and my sexual orientation nor stance on abortion ever influenced my ability to do my job nor ever came up in conversation with customers.

Was it the intent of this group to give speeches against sexuality and abortion or demonstrate at this gathering?
It's fascinating how someone can state that the group's "relevant defining characteristic" wasn't being Christian, when I can go to their website and see some sort of reference to God or the Bible in nearly every sentence of their "Who We Are" blurb.

Some people genuinely seem to have convinced themselves that their poor interpretations of reality are absolute truth. And that if they just run their mouth enough, no one will see that they're just making up their own reality as they go, in order to fit their ideology. It's amazing.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:28 AM

88,262 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This seems too fine of a point for some to grasp.
Weirdly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies