Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In what reality would fighting to deny other people their legal rights and protections not be working against that group?
In what world is the Christian group doing that? Certainly not in this one. Show me where the group has advocated making it legal to kill gay people, which is one of the things you just claimed the group is doing.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:29 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They're working politically to reduce the rights enjoyed by same-sex couples. Makes one wonder what it would take for a group to be considered anti-gay in your world.

"They're not anti-gay, they just consider gay couples inferior" is some really advanced hairsplitting.
Why this is even debatable is confounding. This group is upfront about their agenda and I for one believe what they say about themselves. They are a anti-gay organization working to marginalize the rights of same-sex folks.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:30 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I haven't provided any proof. I've thought about it and applied logic and reason, for like, you know, five seconds, and come to that very obvious conclusion.

If being anti-Christianity is their M.O., then what took them 8 years of business before they refused service to some Christians for being Christian?
How the hell should I know? Maybe some histrionic person joined the kitchen last week and convinced the otherwise normal staff that it was a good idea to take the path of least resistance here?

You keep saying "they serve other Christians," as if it matters. It's laughable. Try facing a lawsuit for discriminating against black people and say "I serve black people all the time," and let me know how that goes.

If they arrived at THIS decision, THIS week, by being biased against Christians, then they might be in trouble, were a lawsuit filed.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:32 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I know how people of that political tribe talk about Christians and Christianity, and there are many posts on this thread where people are talking about Christians and Christianity in the same way.

There's the kum-ba-ya PR statement the restaurant made, but based on experience with these people, I bet there's uglier stuff behind the facade.

I am nonreligious, for what it's worth (maybe nothing).
Not sure what political tribe you are talking about (maybe LGBTQ activists?) but let me ask this: isn't there a pretty good chance thst many of the employees at that restaurant are Christian themselves, LGBTQ or not? Just by virtue of that fact that a majority of the US population identifies as Christian?

You are making assumptions based on your own musings, which of course I just did myself in this post lol.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:32 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
I object to Black Lives Matter. If a black person comes into my bar and I take a card to start their tab, google the name, and find that the person is a habitual attendee of BLM protests, and then I kick the person out, how confident should I be that I'm not going to get hit with a civil rights lawsuit saying I discriminated based on race? Because I don't think I'd feel very confident.
Or what if you served black people, but not those who participate in the political process, which is an exact analogy to what this restaurant did in this case.

Would you feel confident if you refused to serve black people who exercised their right to vote? I don't think you would, and neither would I.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not sure what political tribe you are talking about (maybe LGBTQ activists?) but let me ask this: isn't there a pretty good chance thst many of the employees at that restaurant are Christian themselves, LGBTQ or not? Just by virtue of that fact that a majority of the US population identifies as Christian?

You are making assumptions based on your own musings, which of course I just did myself in this post lol.
Progressives, roughly speaking, for lack of a better term.

I don't see why it matters that the employees might be Christian. Black people discriminate against black people, and that's still illegal, no?

Old 12-08-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Or what if you served black people, but not those who participate in the political process, which is an exact analogy to what this restaurant did in this case.

Would you feel confident if you refused to serve black people who exercised their right to vote? I don't think you would, and neither would I.
Yep.

"I serve black people all the time (as long as they agree with my political beliefs)! What's the problem?!?"

It doesn't fly.

Or, even better, "I believe I am harmed by Democrat policies, and black people vote overwhelmingly Democrat, so I am going to only serve black people who can prove they vote Republican. Wait, what do you mean you're filing a civil rights suit? I'm only discriminating against people whose beliefs harm me!" LOL. Good freaking luck with that one.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:38 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Progressives, roughly speaking, for lack of a better term.

I don't see why it matters that the employees might be Christian. Black people discriminate against black people, and that's still illegal, no?
But now we are back to the fact that it does not seem as if there is nerely discrimination against Christians going on here. It is against a political group using Christianity as the front for more nefarious goals.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:39 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
How the hell should I know? Maybe some histrionic person joined the kitchen last week and convinced the otherwise normal staff that it was a good idea to take the path of least resistance here?

You keep saying "they serve other Christians," as if it matters. It's laughable. Try facing a lawsuit for discriminating against black people and say "I serve black people all the time," and let me know how that goes.

If they arrived at THIS decision, THIS week, by being biased against Christians, then they might be in trouble, were a lawsuit filed.
We are talking about a political/lobbying organization, called, the Family Foundation. That's who we are talking about and who was denied service, at the pro-LGBT establishment with LGBT employees. They are a political group that specifically lobbies for anti-LGBT causes, such as opposition to LGBT rights of all kinds, opposition to nondiscrimination (ironic), support for conversion therapy for minors, etc.

I mean, it's possible that these servers may not have even necessarily known what religion these people were, let alone refused service because of their religion. And at least some of the servers were probably Christians themselves.

Go ahead, raise the case. It's a weak case, I think. I'd be surprised if they win, but I guess we'll have to follow the story.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But now we are back to the fact that it does not seem as if there is nerely discrimination against Christians going on here. It is against a political group using Christianity as the front for more nefarious goals.
If there is any discrimination against Christians in this specific instance, it's a possible Civil Rights violation, yes or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies