Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 08:06 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
All them city morons now experiencing buyers remorse when they all ran out half cocked over bidding for “country” homes and such. Check the neighborhood? Do some research? Nah. Just buy it. It’s in the country. Everyone else is doing it so we GOTTA do it too! What could go wrong? Haha! And now you’re stuck with the place. Jackasses.
Not us. We absolutely love where we live now. You couldn't pay us to move back to the city/suburb. Everyday is like being at our rural cottage, minus the lake. We couldn't be any happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 08:07 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I'm sure banks will negotiate those underwater mortgages much more willingly now than in 2008.

Banks learned the hard way that repossessing an underwater mortgage during a recession was a very bad idea.

None of the big survivors want to be the next Lehmann Brothers to fall. Their mortgage investment is much more secure when a home has people living in it.
And nowadays, homeowners are not treating their homes like piggy banks any more. Those days are gone, and owning a home is once more a lifetime investment in equity.

The only thing that's out of balance now is wage equity, and that problem is already beginning to be addressed.

Cutting desperate homeowners some slack is the easiest and cheapest way a bank has of protecting its investment and keeping it intact. Especially in a time when all homes cost more than they did in 2008.

Old 12-08-2022, 08:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I believe it. It has to come down eventually. Our model that we purchased in mid-2020 has gone up like 60% in price since then, and don’t get me started on land prices. My area is up at least 50% or more depending on acreage and location. But I’ve noticed the market isn’t moving as quickly now and prices are starting to come down. How much will it come down, I do not know. The bump in my supposed equity and home value is pretty awesome but you know the powers that be have already adjusted values so they can get their tax revenue on it. We have no plans to sell so the value jump is worthless at the moment.
Primary residence in Florida? You filed your homestead exemption under Save Our Homes right quick to lock in the original low taxable value and will have the max of 3% annual increases, I hope.

We’re on a SOH homestead exemption filed in 2001 and pay something like $1400/year in property taxes on what’s now a $400K house.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:59 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Primary residence in Florida? You filed your homestead exemption under Save Our Homes right quick to lock in the original low taxable value and will have the max of 3% annual increases, I hope.

We’re on a SOH homestead exemption filed in 2001 and pay something like $1400/year in property taxes on what’s now a $400K house.
I missed the deadline the first year, too much going on and we completely forgot (we moved in December after inspections were finally finished). Our homestead exemption basically took care of the value increase and our taxes are more or less the same as the un-homesteaded 2021 taxes.

Part of my post disappeared when I posted it. I did not know that’s how SOH worked, I thought it was more about the portability aspect. Oh well, that’s disappointing for sure.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:22 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Timing is everything. I purchased my 5th home 3.5 years ago and the value is up about 25%.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:41 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Not a surprise. That's what they get for bidding up the price of a house well above its value.
A home's value is what a person is willing to pay for it.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:17 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
A home's value is what a person is willing to pay for it.
Since the thread specifies 2022 the reality is that almost all homebuyers are "underwater" for a year or five after they buy, especially first time ones.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:43 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Do you also blame unions for doing the same for labor? How about politicians who are always voting a raise for themselves while the nation circles the drain???

And houses are very expensive. Go try to build one with today's material prices.... Not going to be cheap at all. Last time I bought a 2X4, it was $7. Five years ago, I was paying $2.50. Do the math... That's an incredible amount of inflation in a short period of time. Shelter is not cheap anywhere you go, unless it's some place no one wants to live in. I guess if democrats cause crime to reach such levels that no sane person would want to live here anymore, your dream of cheap housing may become reality, but it's not a reality I would want any part of.
FWIW 2x4 is back down to 3.54. Source I work at Depot and the lumber aisle is the main back to front aisle. FWIW 3.54 is roughly the price from 2018.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:54 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
FWIW 2x4 is back down to 3.54. Source I work at Depot and the lumber aisle is the main back to front aisle. FWIW 3.54 is roughly the price from 2018.
It's nice to see prices going down. It would be great to see lumber back at the '15/'16 prices again though.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2637/lum...cal-chart-data

Old 12-09-2022, 06:56 AM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
And the Biden administration wants a repeat of the Clinton induced 2008/9 housing bubble burst.

Biden Administration trying to repeat history
Are you sure Clinton was POTUS for the eight years leading up to and including that housing insanity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies