Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:01 AM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
She is corrupt scum and I fully regret voting for in 2018. At least with McSally, I would have known what I gotten if I voted for her. I expected Sinema to be on the up and up and instead I got a corportist snake who lies to her constituents. No wonder why Democrats had an 80% disfavorability of her in January and likely now again after leaving the party...
She's putting country ahead of her awful party. You're just miffed she dissed your political party. If a Republican Senator left the GOP you'd be chortling with glee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 11:00 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
She's putting country ahead of her awful party. You're just miffed she dissed your political party. If a Republican Senator left the GOP you'd be chortling with glee.
She shouldn't put country over party, she should put her constituents who voted her into office over party. She is disliked by every voting block in Arizona based on political alignment here. That should tell you all you need to know. It seems the only people who like and approve of Sinema are not in Arizona. Similar to most people who dislike Cruz or Graham are not in Texas and South Carolina respectfully...

Old 12-11-2022, 04:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
I like this senator. She appears to have common sense and the willingness to work with those who don't necessarily share her political ideals for the good of this nation; as once was the case in Congress.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:22 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
She shouldn't put country over party, she should put her constituents who voted her into office over party. She is disliked by every voting block in Arizona based on political alignment here. That should tell you all you need to know. It seems the only people who like and approve of Sinema are not in Arizona. Similar to most people who dislike Cruz or Graham are not in Texas and South Carolina respectfully...
Sure. What would you be saying if a Republican Senator did the same?

Old 12-11-2022, 05:51 PM

22,186 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
I made a comparison to Arlen Specter's switch in 2009 and I think it was an apt comparison. Specter was unpopular with Republicans in his state and knew he was going to be Primaried from the right and that he would have little chance in the Primary. Now he wound up switching to Dem instead of Ind (and wound up losing the Democratic Primary anyway), but it was clear the switch was made based on what he felt gave him a better chance due to the Primary from the right. The same is true here, Sinema knows she would have little chance with a primary challenge so she decided to make the change.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
If it was someone standing up to the MAGAts, maybe that they were standing up for America not AmeriKKKa. The fact is I live in Arizona and I've wrote to Senator Sinema several times. She ignores me, a worried constituent for her bought and paid for corporatist agenda. She has turned her back on women with the abortion stance knowing that her state had a trigger law that was later found to be irrelevant due to an unrepealed territorial ban on abortions that was never talked about until Roe V. Wade was actually overturned with Dobbs. The fact is, she doesn't give a damn about Arizona and Arizonians. In the past two years, this became clear as day. You know it is bad when over 50% of Arizonians on a whole and over 50% of each registered voter category say they have a disfavorable opinion of Sinema.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Bingo…and she has every right to do it.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:02 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
If it was someone standing up to the MAGAts, maybe that they were standing up for America not AmeriKKKa.

"AmeriKKKa"? Was that how they spelled it back when Joe the segregationist Biden began his political career? You know, the guy you supported over Trump, who actually hired lots of black folks during his career and likely paid them better than the welfare crumbs democrats throw at people for votes? And you do know the democratic party was always the party of the KKK. Didn't they teach you this is history class?

Has the poverty rate improved for minorities since the Biden regime took over? Has household savings and investments gone up? Are black folks "movin on up" with Biden in the white house???? Joe Biden has been in government for 50 years. Plenty of time to help struggling families. What has he done with all those decades to improve the situation? I know he likes to stand in front of black people and use them as a political prop, but that's not helping anyone but Joe Biden and his political career.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:24 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
If it was someone standing up to the MAGAts, maybe that they were standing up for America not AmeriKKKa. The fact is I live in Arizona and I've wrote to Senator Sinema several times. She ignores me, a worried constituent for her bought and paid for corporatist agenda. She has turned her back on women with the abortion stance knowing that her state had a trigger law that was later found to be irrelevant due to an unrepealed territorial ban on abortions that was never talked about until Roe V. Wade was actually overturned with Dobbs. The fact is, she doesn't give a damn about Arizona and Arizonians. In the past two years, this became clear as day. You know it is bad when over 50% of Arizonians on a whole and over 50% of each registered voter category say they have a disfavorable opinion of Sinema.
That's where I fail to understand her strategy (make no mistake, this is all about strategy for re-election) Let's look at a hypothetical race between Sinema as an Independent, Ruben Gallego as the Democratic nominee and, let's toss in couple of prominent Arizona republicans, Lake or Masters as the GOP noms.

Generally speaking Democrats are going to vote along party lines just like their Republican brothers and sisters do, so where is her support coming from? There won't be but a few Democrats willing to get burned twice. There's been no indication that aside from 'sticking it to the Democrats' that she's getting any love from the GOP either. For better or worse there's little evidence that Independents draw enough outliers beside themselves to carry a win, so where are Sinema's votes coming from? I just don't see who she's going to skim enough votes from for her to get a win.

If Ducey decides to make a run, things would get very interesting not only in terms of the vote count but in fundraising. It's no secret most of Sinema's cash is coming from business interests but it also means she'll be chasing the same entities the GOP candidate will be for financial support. The whole deal just doesn't pencil out.

In my way of looking at it, Sinema is going to need a lot of help from a lot of people to pull this off. It makes it that much more difficult when nobody likes you anymore. I guess her purposely tanking isn't out of the question. Get your six years in at the Senate and then go find a lucrative gig at some institute where you can skate by without putting in the work of being a public official.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:56 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
I must say it is refreshing to finally see a Democrat put country over party. It's so rare on the left.
I understand her approval rate in AZ in 19%. I'm sure that has something to do with her decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies