Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 08:53 AM

7,395 posts, read 3,550,268 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...climate-change

For sometime i have been calling him a RINO. So glad he is such a bipartisan and shows support for things Barack Obama proposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 08:55 AM

9,902 posts, read 4,666,395 times
I'm confused: right wing or RINO. Personally leftist lite.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Romney has long been about trying to use market pressures and business interests to get to a certain social benefit. Remember that Obamacare is modeled after his Romneycare.

And back in the 90s and early 00s, a lot of Republicans were for carbon credits and such as a more market-driven way of decreasing pollution.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:57 AM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Once one accepts the climate change reality, then the most conservative approach to carbon reduction is a carbon tax. I remember this being proposed when I was in (conservative) B-school a hundred years ago. The conservative advantage is that a carbon tax uses market forces to achieve reductions rather than government regulation of industries.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:03 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Carbon tax does not work. Look at Europe as an example.

The tax did not reduce carbon usage. Instead what sprung up was carbon trading.

So tax "nothing" and then trade "nothing".
The "carbon market" is as good as the crypto trading and NFT's.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:06 AM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Romney has long been about trying to use market pressures and business interests to get to a certain social benefit. Remember that Obamacare is modeled after his Romneycare.

And back in the 90s and early 00s, a lot of Republicans were for carbon credits and such as a more market-driven way of decreasing pollution.
Ah yes, I remember it well. It was all the rage because not only would market forces influence choices, but the carbon credits could be bought, sold, swapped creating a whole new playground for wealthy investors.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:09 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Once one accepts the climate change reality, then the most conservative approach to carbon reduction is a carbon tax. I remember this being proposed when I was in (conservative) B-school a hundred years ago. The conservative advantage is that a carbon tax uses market forces to achieve reductions rather than government regulation of industries.
no. thats not a conservative approach.

that is a heavy handed leftist bully move that exemplifies the way the left works.

use the force of government to punish people for being alive.

The conservative approach is to let the market solve the problem.
That would have already happened if leftist government had not decided to park massive money on wind, solar and batteries. Which CANNOT solve the problem.

Now we are stuck with bad policy, poor solutions and people who will die because energy is too expensive because of government.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:36 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,957,481 times
And if we can get China, India and any other country most of the western World outsources to this might mean something. But anything the West does is virtually useless and degrades our lifestyle as business simply builds it overseas where they have little or no environmental laws. Doing far more damage than we would ever do. Environmentalist dont seem to understand the concept that just because you dont see it in your back yard it doesn't exist.

It's like a 3 year old putting their hands in front of their eyes and saying YOU cant See them now, since they cant see you. About that level of logic.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:42 AM

10,510 posts, read 7,031,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
And if we can get China, India and any other country most of the western World outsources to this might mean something. But anything the West does is virtually useless and degrades our lifestyle as business simply builds it overseas where they have little or no environmental laws. Doing far more damage than we would ever do. Environmentalist dont seem to understand the concept that just because you dont see it in your back yard it doesn't exist.

It's like a 3 year old putting their hands in front of their eyes and saying YOU cant See them now, since they cant see you. About that level of logic.
Same thing with EV's. They actually cause much more damage to the environment but because the exhaust isn't coming from a tailpipe but a plant 50 miles away, its out of sight out of mind.

Also, Mittens Romney is globalist. The GOP needs to vote to remove him just like they did to Cheney.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:32 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...climate-change

For sometime i have been calling him a RINO. So glad he is such a bipartisan and shows support for things Barack Obama proposed.
"Right wing conservative"

I would never all him a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies