Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 10:44 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and I get that... if the senate was truly 50-50

but raw numbers (not who you SAY you will caucus with) currently have the senate at 48D..50 R..and 2I ...by those raw numbers...the R's have the majority

now of course the 2022 elections changed that, so it is actually tied at 49/49/2
At the end of the day Raw #'s, or the party you consider yourself (again since many states do not register by party), doesn't mean anything as far as Balance of Power, who has the Majority or who controls Committees. It is how you Caucus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 11:01 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
and I get that... if the senate was truly 50-50

but raw numbers (not who you SAY you will caucus with) currently have the senate at 48D..50 R..and 2I ...by those raw numbers...the R's have the majority

now of course the 2022 elections changed that, so it is actually tied at 49/49/2
Not sure why you are having such difficulty in understanding that it is who each senator caucuses with that determines the numbers. The Independents hold committee positions that they could not if they were caucusing with the Republicans. If they switch sides they lose those appointments.

It's actually pretty straightforward. Independents to Democrats: "We're with you guys." Thus, the majority.

What you should be asking is, why do no Independents ever caucus with the Republicans.

Last edited by JAMS14; 12-09-2022 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-09-2022, 11:19 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yes. I'll bet women will be "beheaded" in the USA soon.

This nonsensical demagoguery is probably why republicans control most of the levers of government now.
Repubs don't understand sarcasm. Got it. I notice, however, that you didn't comment on the slashing of the federal budget. Your silence is telling.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:27 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not sure what Disney has to do with it, but you seem to be saying we can now look forward to Right-wing extremism. More legislative control over uppity women and childbirth issues, perhaps Sharia law--beheading women who cross state lines to obtain abortions, beheading of doctors who perform sex-change procedures, a return to death penalties and chain gangs for non-Euro-descended citizens on phony charges, and last, but by no means least: increased slashing of the federal budget to fund ever more tax breaks for people who don't need them, promoted in the Orwellian tradition as "balancing the budget".

Oh, happy day.
Wow! What a ridiculous post. So extreme and dramatic and not rooted in sanity in any way.

So because Republicans won the house, Disney has seen it's stock crater due to woke policies and reversed course, and Twitter is now balanced and no longer suppressing conservative views, that is right-wing extremism in your view? Beheading women??? Really?

I should point out that Sharia Law is Muslim Law... what party do all the Muslim politicians in the USA belong to? Democrat Party. So if any party would be pushing for Sharia Law in the USA, it's def not the Republican party.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:43 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Repubs don't understand sarcasm. Got it. I notice, however, that you didn't comment on the slashing of the federal budget. Your silence is telling.

The way that the federal budget has ballooned in recent years, it could use a whole lot more slashing to reduce our deficit spending.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:08 PM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:

Telling of what? That would be FANTASTIC if the federal budget was slashed.

You just made my point of democrats preferring a big handout, nanny state.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,548 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Likely correct. But it doesn't change the accuracy of my post.

There are more republicans in the senate than democrats.
We dont have party registration on a federal level, we have caucuses.

so the actual make up is 50- 49 -1

calling yourself a D or R officially means nothing.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:38 PM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
So who controls the Senate now? GOP with a plurality, or whoever can get the Independents, which would be the Democrats.

Since the GOP outnumbers the Democrats, does this mean they control all of the Senate Committees, or are Committee chairs elected by majority vote?

At 65 years old, you would think I would know this by now.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:42 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
recessions come from liberal policies....
BS

Clinton's economy was going great guns. Bush ran it into the ground.

Obama got it up and running.Trump ran it into the ground.

Biden got it up and running.

The last Republican President to leave the nation in better economic condition that he found it was Eisenhower.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:46 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
The reason Republican economic policies don't work is because of their bogus "trickle down" business, based on giving tax breaks to rich who supposedly will then increase the supply. The rich don't increase supply, of course. They use it for stock buybacks and CEO pay and so forth. Because even they know that a bunch of supply without demand is just ridiculous.

Economies grow when demand grows, not when supply grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies