Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 12:05 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
... his followers do not seem to grasp this simple legal concept,...

i've repeatedly suggested in these forums that if you believe jones/powell/etc didn't get a fair trial you should hire an independent lawyer for an hour's worth of time to explain if they did or didn't receive a fair trial. this suggestion is usually met with some form of "all lawyers are corrupt".

Old 12-11-2022, 12:10 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Her defense reminds me of the judge's ruling when Karen McDougal filed suite against Tucker Carlson and Fox News for spreading flat out lies. The judge actually said given Carlson's reputation nobody takes him seriously. That judge was wrong and so is Powell's claim. Of course millions take those people's lies seriously. And it is incredibly damaging.

Powell and the others are learning that words do have consequences, unless you are Tucker Carlson apparently. She is getting hit hard and has no defense, I can't wait for Diebold to take her wealth.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:20 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Wasn't it Alex Jones who maintained that he was an entertainer and no one took him seriously?

Good Lord. A third of the Republican Party still believes Obama was born in Kenya.

Loons. The party of loons.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:20 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
In reality, no MSM outlet investigated all the irregularities that occurred in the 2020 election.
I guess that after Bill Barr said "No need" they took him at his word?

Don't confuse slight messups with game-changers.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Exactly. These leftists act as if there is any legitimacy remaining in these establishment run institutions, but there isn’t. And that’s not isolated to the DOJ and FBI, but is true of much of the Judiciary as well. Totally corrupt, and rotten to the core.
I thought that Trump and McConnell had re-cast the judiciary.

Quote:
If you doubt that even a tiny bit, just look at the theatrical production of the Alex Jones court case that awarded the plaintiffs against him 1 Billion in “damages”. I watched portions of the proceedings where the Judge told Jones he could not say he is innocent, because it was a lie, and he is guilty, and if he did, he’d be in contempt, and put behind bars.

You do not have to be very smart, or know very much about the law to understand just how absurdly corrupt it is for a Judge in a JURRY TRIAL to openly tell the defendant that he isn’t permitted to plead his innocence because he’s guilty? And, threaten him with contempt if he did?
Where do I start?

1. Alex Jones was not charged in a criminal trial, it was civil.
2. He could not claim innocence because he had already admitted guilt by not cooperating with discovery! The refusal to let him say he was not liable for the harm was a trial sanction for his misbehavior.
Quote:
Everything now is just a big show, put on for the small minds of the audience.
Study some law.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I imagine that Ms. Powell will soon resort to the last haven available to attorney's about to be disbarred:

Entering Rehab.

I'm not joking. When I read the Texas Bar Journal, and see the list of attorneys that have been disbarred or suspended, it is frequently noted that the attorney in question has pleaded with the Bar that he or she was entering (or had entered) rehab for drug and/or alcohol usage.

I suppose at times it works, resulting in a suspension of their law license until they complete rehab and are able to convince the Bar that they are again responsible for their actions.

By the by, it is a ploy often used by medical doctors in the same situation.
It sometimes works, but the bar puts the lawyer on probation and makes someone monitor performance for years.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:29 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wasn't it Alex Jones who maintained that he was an entertainer and no one took him seriously?

his lawyer made the claim during his divorce trial.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Actually the legal system works best for those with the deepest pockets. And that is nothing new. Remember OJ?
Why is it that no one ever uses as an example Klaus von Bulow, Robert Blake or Robert Durst?

Last edited by Manigault; 12-11-2022 at 12:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2022, 02:27 PM

57,266 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Evidently there is big money in election fraud, that is why Trump, Powell and others all benefited through the non-profits, Stop the Steal, Defending the Republic. I don't think any of them actually believe there was massive fraud, it was purely a fund raising exercise at the expense of the nation.

Interesting fact is that Powell was both head and treasurer of Defending the Republic that raised $16 million. They were only required to disclose compensation for December 2020, no idea why,

Quote:
A nonprofit group run by pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell raised $16.4 million in the year following the 2020 election and spent less than half that money, according to the group’s tax filings.

Defending the Republic, whose mission is to use the courts to “protect election integrity” and individual freedoms, reported that it spent about $8 million in the 12-month period ending Nov. 30, 2021. That sum included more than $3.8 million for legal services and another $2 million for “other” services, including litigation support. It said those services were provided by “nonemployees” it did not name.

The tax filings identify Powell as the president and treasurer of Defending the Republic and say she and the only other individuals named — two other directors and the chief financial officer — worked for no pay. However, the organization was only required to report on individuals’ compensation from Dec. 1, 2020 — the date it was founded — through Dec. 31, 2020. The filings were obtained by The Washington Post.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...c-tax-filings/

Old 12-11-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Evidently there is big money in election fraud, that is why Trump, Powell and others all benefited through the non-profits, Stop the Steal, Defending the Republic. I don't think any of them actually believe there was massive fraud, it was purely a fund raising exercise at the expense of the nation.

Interesting fact is that Powell was both head and treasurer of Defending the Republic that raised $16 million. They were only required to disclose compensation for December 2020, no idea why,
Follow the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies