Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2022, 08:16 PM

2,896 posts, read 990,848 times

Advertisements

I wonder if people yell, "go back to where you came from!" when Americans flee to their countries.

The one thing that would make me leave the US for good would be if I decided I wanted to experience another culture and had the means to live comfortably in a place where I thought I'd enjoy it and I could bring something positive with me to share in the new country.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:19 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, how much patriotic respect is due people who hate America so much that they're fleeing?
What if you grew up in a neighborhood that used to be clean, safe and a great place to live in. But over time, it deteriorated as criminals and drug dealers proliferated and trashed the area.

Is that a legitimate reason for you to want to flee the neighborhood?

Some people think that is analogous to what is happening to America, slowly but surely.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:20 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I agree but it might take longer to turn blue. Florida's redness is not permanent. Like a rash, it will go away. I don't think Florida's future will be much like its recent past. There are a couple conservative groups that will lose numbers over time. There is a lot of jabber about the Hispanic vote, but the Cubans are an aging group with a low birthrate. The median age of Florida's Cubans is in the mid 40s. The median age for other Hispanics is in the mid 20s. The most common age for Hispanics in the US is age 11.

Another large Florida demographic is retirees -- that would commonly be people over 65. It is commonly said that Florida is God's waiting room. Some of the in-coming retirees vote blue, some vote red, some don't vote. As the Boomers pass out of the national digestive system the numbers will decrease.

I am not too sure the general transplant pattern will continue as it has.

Then there is climate change and sea level rise that will make moving to Florida less appealing. Beach erosion and serious storm surge is already an issue.
Do you ever pause to wonder why the "bluing" of America is because of illegal immigrants, deep blue urban populations, and corrupt white liberals changing the voting rules? Do you ever further wonder why that is such an attractive option to you?

Old 12-11-2022, 08:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What if you grew up in a neighborhood that used to be clean, safe and a great place to live in. But over time, it deteriorated as criminals and drug dealers proliferated and trashed the area.

Is that legitimate reason for you to want to flee the neighborhood?

Some people think that is analogous to what is happening to America, slowly but surely.
People leave decaying neighborhoods all the time. A few years later, others move in to refurbish and gentrify the area. It is a cycle that city neighborhoods and suburbs go through.

Leaving the country because you think there is no place in a continent-wide country where you can be happy is quite another thing.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Do you ever pause to wonder why the "bluing" of America is because of illegal immigrants, deep blue urban populations, and corrupt white liberals changing the voting rules? Do you ever further wonder why that is such an attractive option to you?
No. I do not wonder those things.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
People leave decaying neighborhoods all the time. A few years later, others move in to refurbish and gentrify the area. It is a cycle that city neighborhoods and suburbs go through.

Leaving the country because you think there is no place in a continent-wide country where you can be happy is quite another thing.
Sadly, Democrats all over the country are forcing decent people to make that choice every day. As much as you want to ignore it, it's happening.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:27 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Democrats have outnumbered Republicans for a long time. It’s only that the elderly have a much higher turn out percentage that balances the scales. If voting was made more convenient for the working population and students we would be a one party rule country unless the Republicans tempered their message to appeal to a wider demographic.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No. I do not wonder those things.
I wasn't asking you, but I'm not surprised. I don't believe you think much at all outside of what you're told to think by the Democrat party and the left wing media outlets you follow.

Maybe you'll prove me wrong one of these days.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Sadly, Democrats all over the country are forcing decent people to make that choice every day. As much as you want to ignore it, it's happening.
Are you saying there are not enough red areas where you can find a place that suits you? There are many states and lots of land area that have very few Democrats.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:30 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, how much patriotic respect is due people who hate America so much that they're fleeing?
What is "America" as a thing which could be loved or hated? Is it a geographic designation? The people who happen to live within it?

Or is it the set of ideas upon which the country was founded and/or the people who believe in those ideas?

Why would people who believe in those ideas (patriots) want to leave?

Would they leave because they don't believe in those ideas anymore? Does that sound likely to you?

Is there any other possible reason you can think of, Clara?

Here's a hint: There are people who've never been to this country, yet are more American than a lot of the people posting on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies