Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 05:31 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,330,439 times

Advertisements

I'm going to take a wild guess as to why this particular person is homeless: He's an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 05:34 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Fine encampments. If they don't have money to pay, they have the option of doing community service (litter collection).

Old 01-24-2023, 05:35 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
I and my fellow residents of Wood Street Commons, an unhoused community in Oakland, believe politicians pushing sweeps of homeless encampments are only making things worse.

One thing that would dramatically improve the lives of unhoused people in California could be done today, wouldn’t cost taxpayers any money and would require no effort by politicians or city workers. It’s as simple as a governor or mayor uttering three words: Stop sweeps now.
That solves nothing. He would still be homeless. Calling themselves "unhoused" does nothing, either.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:13 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'm about to go pickup my 68yo good friend from High School this morning and take him to the homeless shelter. He's an Alcoholic and had rather buy booze than buy food or shelter. You can't help the guy, we've all tried.

This is about the best I can do for him now. Plus buy him a decent meal on the way.

He's homeless because he's chosen this path over the last 50 years. Surprising he's still alive.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:09 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But aren't they doing that for the 'undocumented immigrants' already?

Ha! Yes and it is getting crowded in those backyards....

Old 01-24-2023, 07:18 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He's an Alcoholic and had rather buy booze than buy food or shelter. You can't help the guy, we've all tried.
He's homeless because he's chosen this path
Add "/drug addict" to the word alcoholic, and add "/drugs" to the word booze, and the above quote describes like 90% of the homeless in this country.

Pro tip - if you do provide the one/few good meals, maybe a comfy night's sleep, etc...the only person you help is yourself, if doing these things makes you feel good about yourself. At no point, as Rakin points out, do you do anything helpful or meaningful for a degenerate who every single day chooses the degenerate lifestyle.

Example - my wife one time gave $20 to one of those sign carrying beggars at an intersection near our closest shopping center. When she came home, I said " you realize had you just gone to the liquor store and bought as much cheap booze as that $20 could buy, you would have not only given him what he really wanted, but also saved him a trip?" She then lamented being a sucker and I said "did it make you feel good to feel charitable? If yes, then money well spent, regardless of outcomes you cannot control."

Always keep that in mind when helping degenerates. You are never going to cure the degeneracy, all you're doing is making yourself feel good about you.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:53 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
If bums had any capacity to be responsible, they wouldn't be homeless.

At this point, we should treat them like cattle. Herd them into compounds and feed them and take care of them as cheaply and humanely as possible.

That is a horrible take on human beings who were once someone's baby, but I don't see any other practical way out.

It is impossible of course, as the courts and Democrats won't allow it.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:55 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Every Liberal should adopt a homeless person and let 2-3 of them camp out in their backyards.
I support that.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
If bums had any capacity to be responsible, they wouldn't be homeless.

At this point, we should treat them like cattle. Herd them into compounds and feed them and take care of them as cheaply and humanely as possible.

That is a horrible take on human beings who were once someone's baby, but I don't see any other practical way out.

It is impossible of course, as the courts and Democrats won't allow it.
Wake me up when rents aren't $1500-3000/month while pay is higher than $14/hour...but you are right some would rather be homeless than choose wage slavery and they will if you let them. With the right government programs a single mother doesn't ever have to work as an example.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:09 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Wake me up when rents aren't $1500-3000/month while pay is higher than $14/hour...but you are right some would rather be homeless than choose wage slavery and they will if you let them. With the right government programs a single mother doesn't ever have to work as an example.
The streets are full of homeless who were well paid before their drug addictions or went off their medications.

You see immigrants living 6 to a room to avoid being homeless despite earning next to nothing under the table. If pay = homelessness, the immigrants would all be living on the streets.

I have yet to see a story about a permanent homeless person who said they immigrated to the USA and just couldn't find a job and were forced to live on the street.

The cost of living is soaring, the middle class is shrinking, and it is becoming harder to get buy. At the same time, how many $14/hour workers in $1,500 apartments still demand to own a cell phone, internet service, cable TV and other "luxuries" they could cut expenses on if they chose to do so? They could rent close to work, forego car ownership, and use transit or car pool.

Too many low earners struggling to get buy still want all of the goods and services of people making more money. If you can't afford it, then you can't have it all.

I am not saying it isn't much harder today. It is much harder today. Much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies