Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 08:19 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,697,255 times

Advertisements

It wont pass. It never seems to pass…

Quote:
Along with Hawley’s bill, a bipartisan duo in the House has introduced a bill this year on the topic. Reps. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.) and Chip Roy (R-Texas) introduced the Trust in Congress Act this month, marking the third time the pair have introduced the legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 08:22 AM

10,845 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Funny thing is, when Trump was in, if someone used Kayak to book a room in one of his hotels, you had the left screeching "Emoluments!!!!"

But over the last number of years Pelosi and other fellow democrats have used their positions to insider trade to the tune of over a quarter billion DIRECTLY and we get crickets.

And funnier thing is, those on the left being all 'cricket-ty' are pretty much for the most part - poor - with little to no net worth so you would think this would outrage them MORE.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:04 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
It's a great idea and I don't care which side of the isle it comes from. I won't hold my breath though. These things become political footballs and goes silent when the side in charge gets caught doing something unethical. But But it wasn't illegal is the mantra. Despicable, unethical, yes, but as long as it isn't illegal it's okay.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:37 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It's a great idea and I don't care which side of the isle it comes from. I won't hold my breath though. These things become political footballs and goes silent when the side in charge gets caught doing something unethical. But But it wasn't illegal is the mantra. Despicable, unethical, yes, but as long as it isn't illegal it's okay.
Right they made it legal for themselves to insider trade as long as they disclose it basically. And a paltry fine if they don't.

But of course when AOC was harping on this, Republicans dismissed it and vice versa. They'll just stonewall and blame each other while still cashing in.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:39 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Right they made it legal for themselves to insider trade as long as they disclose it basically. And a paltry fine if they don't.

But of course when AOC was harping on this, Republicans dismissed it and vice versa. They'll just stonewall and blame each other while still cashing in.
This.

Nothing more, nothing less. But let's be all dramatic about it

Old 01-26-2023, 10:43 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I agree with the proposals - they shouldn't be allowed to trade stocks. Just due to their position, they are subject to insider information. Forbidding them to trade stocks is the only answer.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:49 AM

52,236 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Republicans do this stuff as well.

I can't recall all of the stories, but I've heard ever a few.

The thing is is that Nancy seems so brazen about it, I don't know. She was asked about this subject of stocks a while back and was asked if people in the congress should be limited or whatever, she just casually says no, and just immediately changes the subject.

Sickening how these people really don't give a flying you know what about the American people and doing what is honest and with the people in mind.

They, their families, and big money donors are all just fat pigs feeding at the trough at the taxpayers' expense.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:47 AM

52,236 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi168 View Post
Exactly. Hawley is just making a political stunt with this.
If you really wanted to be honest, most politics is nothing but Kabuki theatre.

If you really think your side, whatever that happens to be, doesn't grandstand, or exaggerate or "pull stunts" then you are either totally unaware or are so blinded by your own biases that you can't be objective.

It's a stunt, but whatever. The main idea he's trying to push is still something to work towards.

It's just so bizarre to me just how rich people working in the public sector are getting these days. Across the board from government employees to politicians. Nancy is widely known for her and her husband's always always perfect stock trades timing.

No one gets as lucky as they do, not in real life.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
You mean this isn't a bill to make police body came footage at politicians' houses public?

Old 01-26-2023, 12:24 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If you really wanted to be honest, most politics is nothing but Kabuki theatre.

If you really think your side, whatever that happens to be, doesn't grandstand, or exaggerate or "pull stunts" then you are either totally unaware or are so blinded by your own biases that you can't be objective.

It's a stunt, but whatever. The main idea he's trying to push is still something to work towards.

It's just so bizarre to me just how rich people working in the public sector are getting these days. Across the board from government employees to politicians. Nancy is widely known for her and her husband's always always perfect stock trades timing.

No one gets as lucky as they do, not in real life.
fantastic post, repped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi168 View Post
Well, I don't think he's serious about that either - because plenty of folks in his party aren't gonna go for it. Nice try.

plenty, huh? name them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies