Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 06:31 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

Masks made no difference preventing Covid 19, not even the vaunted N95 respirators. All of those mandates for nothing.

Just read the article, then you will know. It is a compelling read.

'Little to no difference': Massive mask meta-study undermines remaining COVID mandates

Excerpts:

Researchers in "gold standard" collaboration struggle to find benefit from surgical over no masks, or N95 respirators over surgical. Findings buoy warnings by PPE expert that even "perfect rate of capture" by N95s can't stop COVID transmission.

An international research collaboration that reviewed several dozen rigorous studies of "physical interventions" against influenza and COVID-19 through last year failed to find even a modest effect on infection or illness rates from masks of all qualities.

In the community, mask-wearing "probably makes little to no difference" in either influenza-like or COVID-like illness (0.95) or "laboratory-confirmed" infections of either virus (1.01). While the confirmed-infections finding had a much wider confidence interval, the team called both these results "moderate-certainty evidence.

https://justthenews.com/nation/scien...covid-mandates

Old 02-01-2023, 06:37 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times
The truth is slowly trickling out. It’s common sense, which many of us have been saying from the beginning. That won’t stop the anti-science Democrats from continuing to lie and wearing useless masks everywhere.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:45 AM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The truth is slowly trickling out. It’s common sense, which many of us have been saying from the beginning. That won’t stop the anti-science Democrats from continuing to lie and wearing useless masks everywhere.

Nor will it stop them from wishing death on those Trumpers who rejected "ThE ScIeNcE"

Old 02-01-2023, 07:00 AM

462 posts, read 286,398 times
I have always felt that the masks, especially the junk masks they had us wearing, did little or nothing. Have doubts about the vaccines too, but thats another issue. I wore the masks as they demanded just not to cause issues with people.
That said, back in 2020, they were basically in panic mode. They didn't know how to deal with this and were grabbing at straws if you will. I am not blaming anyone for that really. They did what they thought best at the time, right or wrong. Hopefully all the BS is over now.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:07 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times
To me the author's conclusions left me questioning the deductions. It needs further study.

Quote:
The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:10 AM

574 posts, read 267,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
To me the author's conclusions left me questioning the deductions. It needs further study.
Poor adherence is a cop out. If you impose a public mandate that's too cumbersome to adhere to properly (24/7 masking) then of course you will get poor adherence.

Requiring the public to wear masks everywhere did not work, they can maybe try more targeted measures next time.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:13 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Risk of bias, not that found or identified. Just a risk of it.

Low adherence is the entire point, isn't it?

Seat belts work. If you refuse to wear them correctly, then they don't work.

Motorcycle helmets work, but not if aren't wearing one or it is damaged or fit poorly.

It is possible -- just possible -- that the right mask, fit perfectly, worn correctly, and kept perfectly clean or disposed of after each use MIGHT reduce disease transmission, but we know that wasn't the case.

People wore masks under their noses.

People constantly pulled their masks down to talk and the put them back in place, without washing their hands.

People used loose cloth masks with severe blow by.

People used masks for weeks at a time, hanging them on their car rear view mirrors between usage.

People repeatedly stuffed masks in their dirty pockets and then reused them over and over.

Adherence is a KEY FEATURE as to why masking doesn't work. Joe Six Pack and Suzy Soccer Mom are not trained in Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and don't know Housekeeping Best Practices for PPE.

Adherence -- or using masks correctly -- was always a massive reason why masks don't work to reduce disease transmission.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 02-01-2023 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-01-2023, 07:13 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Fascinating Newsweek article where they're actually starting to criticize covid policy. I never thought I'd see the day this would end up in a mainstream publication.

https://www.newsweek.com/its-time-sc...pinion-1776630

"We excluded important parts of the population from policy development and castigated critics, which meant that we deployed a monolithic response across an exceptionally diverse nation, forged a society more fractured than ever, and exacerbated longstanding heath and economic disparities."

Old 02-01-2023, 07:16 AM

574 posts, read 267,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Fascinating Newsweek article where they're actually starting to criticize covid policy. I never thought I'd see the day this would end up in a mainstream publication.

https://www.newsweek.com/its-time-sc...pinion-1776630
As the Fed is dismantling their COVID pandemic apparatus, gone are all the think-tanks that spoonfed mainstream media narratives. So you can expect more questioning in the years to come. The DARPA money that essentially bribed mainstream and socialmedia players to all take one line is finished.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:20 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
But yet medical facilities intend to keep mask mandates permanently with no medical exemptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies