Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 12:42 PM

17,371 posts, read 12,330,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I suspect most people think that this extremely low unemployment rate is a positive but keep in mind the Fed wants to slow the economy down. I believe this will just cause them to keep increasing interest rates until they achieve their desired results. By the way, there have been quite a few layoffs recently in the tech fields....could be the calm before the storm!
The tech layoffs need context too. They simply overhired during the pandemic. Like sure Microsoft is laying off 10k. But they had hired 30k new positions in 2020-2021. And those 10k will have no problem finding another job by the time their severance runs out.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:26 PM

8,310 posts, read 3,537,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Sounds like you might be the problem. That isn't the typical experience.
Employers refuse to accommodate my disabilities. I didn't give myself the health problems so it's not my fault. It's not curable so it's not going to improve. So, I will never be employed. Acceptance of reality is a good thing, but it still means that those who told me that I could get a job and blamed me for being a bum and falsely accused me of refusing to get a job are unrepentant liars.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:20 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,190,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The tech layoffs need context too. They simply overhired during the pandemic. Like sure Microsoft is laying off 10k. But they had hired 30k new positions in 2020-2021. And those 10k will have no problem finding another job by the time their severance runs out.
This is true in "some" but not all cases. There will be more employment pain coming in the tech sector (for many reasons).

Old 02-04-2023, 11:32 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,089,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
AND ---- tech people will leave company a and go to company b.

I will say -- the compensation may not be as crazy as it was two years ago....but it's still pretty good.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:33 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,089,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
This is true in "some" but not all cases. There will be more employment pain coming in the tech sector (for many reasons).
For what reasons?

WE all agree that we are working more and more towards automation/computers in all areas -- retail, manufacturing, even hospitality.......so what will cause there to be a shortage of jobs.

Curious -- not doubting...just wondering.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:26 PM

25,650 posts, read 17,391,957 times
There is an article in Washington Examiner talking about this issue:

Welcome to the Baby Bust, and to the Baby Boom’s retirement.
In 2026, high school graduating classes will start shrinking, which means the potential labor force will really start shrinking. And they will shrink every year.
The results: perennial low unemployment, perennial labor shortages, and a stagnating economy.

Shrinking labor pool every year, nationwide. Just as Boomers need more help - home repair, personal care, auto repair; you name it. The typical retiree loses the ability to be self sufficient very slowly. Suddenly you find yourself unable to operate a chain saw, then you can't change your own oil, then yard work becomes impossible, then you can't climb a ladder to change a light bulb. People generally think of elder care when they think of retirees needing help, but that's only in their last stages of life.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:28 PM

22,017 posts, read 9,591,807 times
7 million able bodied men between 24-55 are not working and not looking for work.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:03 PM

4,440 posts, read 1,728,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
7 million able bodied men between 24-55 are not working and not looking for work.
it would be 7 million +1 if I could figure out how to pull it off.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:53 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,451,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Welcome to the Baby Bust, and to the Baby Boom’s retirement.
In 2026, high school graduating classes will start shrinking, which means the potential labor force will really start shrinking. And they will shrink every year.
The results: perennial low unemployment, perennial labor shortages, and a stagnating economy.

Shrinking labor pool every year, nationwide. Just as Boomers need more help - .
It's pretty clear that less children are being produced in the US yet the need for labor hasn't ceased. Immigration will provide a stopgap solution. When we take in legal or illegal immigrants in many cases we are taking in a 'product' that another nation went through expense/pains to raise. In many cases we benefit from an almost 'finished product' that somebody else did the work on. There should be a more orderly way to go about immigration, nonetheless it is a very good deal for the country overall. Once the countries south of the border start to suffer from population declines due to their own low birthrates, they won't be able to subsidizing our workforce like they have done now and in the past.

Last edited by ticking; 02-05-2023 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-05-2023, 11:23 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,407,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
It's pretty clear that less children are being produced in the US yet the need for labor hasn't ceased. Immigration will provide a stopgap solution. When we take in legal or illegal immigrants in many cases we are taking in a 'product' that another nation went through expense/pains to raise. In many cases we benefit from an almost 'finished product' that somebody else did the work on. There should be a more orderly way to go about immigration, nonetheless it is a very good deal for the country overall. Once the countries south of the border start to suffer from population declines due to their own low birthrates, they won't be able to subsidizing our workforce like they have done now and in the past.
We never benefit from immigration. If we needed more workers, we would have produced them ourselves. And immigrants never subsidize anyone. The whole point of immigration is that the immigrant goes to to a country that subsidizes him -- a country with more capital per capita so that the immigrant's labor is more valuable. The immigrant consumes capital that was created by and belongs to the natives. That always makes the natives worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies