Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 05:31 AM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

https://mishtalk.com/economics/in-tw...atches-germany

As people in the west have pointed out, we are buying pretty much everything from China. And it seems automobiles will be next. I'm not really sure how US industry plans to deal with this, other than push for massive tariffs on cars. But US auto companies are already filling their vehicles with parts from China. It seems the EU has no problem with allowing the cheaper Chinese cars to compete against their brands.

Is it all but inevitable that China will take over the automobile industry if nothing changes? That seems to be the case. We tried protectionism far too late for it to have any impact it seems. And half the country cries in pain when a republican proposes protectionist strategies... Although democrats always seem to get a pass, or even praised for doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 05:41 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
https://mishtalk.com/economics/in-tw...atches-germany

As people in the west have pointed out, we are buying pretty much everything from China. And it seems automobiles will be next. I'm not really sure how US industry plans to deal with this, other than push for massive tariffs on cars. But US auto companies are already filling their vehicles with parts from China. It seems the EU has no problem with allowing the cheaper Chinese cars to compete against their brands.

Is it all but inevitable that China will take over the automobile industry if nothing changes? That seems to be the case. We tried protectionism far too late for it to have any impact it seems. And half the country cries in pain when a republican proposes protectionist strategies... Although democrats always seem to get a pass, or even praised for doing the same thing.
That is stunning, at that rate, it will only take 2-3 years for the Chinese to be the #1 exporter of autos. I guess the Germans, Americans, Koreans and Japanese will have to become luxury auto makers and cede the cheap car market to China.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:47 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,626 times
I don’t understand how anyone would buy something made in China.
93% of their products are garbage. Total junk.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That is stunning, at that rate, it will only take 2-3 years for the Chinese to be the #1 exporter of autos. I guess the Germans, Americans, Koreans and Japanese will have to become luxury auto makers and cede the cheap car market to China.

We won't have much of an automobile industry when this transition is complete. That is a stunning blow to the west, and takes a huge bite our of our manufacturing capacity. That is concerning, especially now with the war drums beating around the world. Nations that can't mass produce traditionally do very poorly in prolonged armed wars of attrition.

Even now, the big 3 automakers are filling their cars with Chinese components as fast as they can get them. There isn't enough domestic manufacturing capacity available to supply them any longer.

The west needs to get it's bearings straight. The rubber is now meeting the road. If we do not take this seriously, we are going to watch the last of our manufacturing capacity dissolve and rust away. The future will not be ours to write if we allow these changes to continue to take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post

Almost all of our consumer products come from China, especially computers and smart phones. So obviously, most people do not think the same as you. Also, it is a global market and China is the world's factory floor. We made it that way.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
It wasn't so long ago that the same statement could be made over US Automobiles, tha's why we lost the lead which the Japanese scooped up.....

Old 01-28-2023, 06:06 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
I’m going to for the first time in my life buy a top of the line BMW or Mercedes Benz SUV and drive it for the next 20-25 years until I’m done driving. What is coming will be battery powered junk.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:06 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It wasn't so long ago that the same statement could be made over US Automobiles, tha's why we lost the lead which the Japanese scooped up.....
Why? Just why?

Old 01-28-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:

That's actually a good point on the disadvantages of protectionism. The last thing we should be doing is protecting failing industries turning out inferior products. Especially when they are significantly more expensive than the competition. Protectionism will do nothing to help the USA export automobiles as well. That is not a winning strategy and there are many examples why all over the world.

The quality of Chinese products has improved greatly over the years, and the prices have remained attractive. That is how they managed to become the world's factory floor, in a nut shell. The younger generation in the USA has no apprehension about buying made in China products because it has turned out to be a good financial decision for them more often than not. I have no doubt, they will buy made in China electric cars, if given the chance to do so and the prices are more competitive than the American counterparts... Which they most assuredly will be, without significant tariffs placed on them.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:39 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
The big three had some problems with quality but nothing like the junk china makes. The us automakers were forced to fix their problems when challenged by Japanese automakers. Today Japanese, American and European automakers are offering quality automobiles. Why on earth would consumers subject themselves to inferior built products when they can have good quality American, European or Japanese cars? No way China will takeover the automotive market unless they change the quality of their products.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The big three had some problems with quality but nothing like the junk china makes. The us automakers were forced to fix their problems when challenged by Japanese automakers. Today Japanese, American and European automakers are offering quality automobiles. Why on earth would consumers subject themselves to inferior built products when they can have good quality American, European or Japanese cars? No way China will takeover the automotive market unless they change the quality of their products.

If you are talking about US auto market, I think we have a fighting chance. But that won't stop China from achieving status as #1 auto exporter, which was the subject of the article. Most of the world cannot afford $100,000 USD trucks... Or even $60,000 trucks. Try making $10,000 trucks, and the USA would have a chance at becoming the dominant auto exporter.

But that is not going to happen. Unions wouldn't allow it. And I don't think the auto makers themselves have any interest in racing to the bottom that hard and fast. The USA auto industry would have to set up operations in each country they want to compete in and make the automobiles there using the cheaper labor those countries have to offer. Exporting them to those markets wouldn't be practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies