Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2023, 07:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 734,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Side note: I'm a member of AA and when I used to visit my mother who lived in the Hillcrest district of San Diego, I would go walk to an AA clubhouse two blocks away. Now, this was a gay AA clubhouse but all were welcome.

Anyway, after a meeting there was a blow-up. It was about an upcoming roundup (usually a two day affair with various AA events.)

This roundup was women only. (In AA there are some meetings which only men and only women. It's rare but sometime this happens at a roundup too.)

The problem was a handful of lesbians were angry and adamant that only biological women be allowed to attend their roundup.

I thought to myself, "Trans-women not allowed to a gay women’s AA roundup?? Now, that is some weird shxt.”
They weren't allowed because they weren't women.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:59 PM

13,849 posts, read 8,066,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
They weren't allowed because they weren't women.
Well, yes, but isn't the gay community supposed to be inclusive?

The several gay women who spoke after that AA meeting were pissed. This was a women’s roundup and that meant biological women only.

I didn't stick around for what happened next or if a was vote was later taken. The meeting was over so I left.

However, I will say the women upset were hard-core butch. Not to be trifled with. When they say women only they mean....women only!

Last edited by john3232; 03-02-2023 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 08:00 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/boycott-her...ns-day-1784989

If Hershey's cannot respect women enough to only use actual women in their "International Women's Day" celebration, then I cannot respect them enough to purchase their products. And, I really do not need the extra sugar!
Cool, they don’t need your business. You don’t know how company advertising works, do you? Most people aren’t going to care about this and boycott Hershey’s.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 734,920 times
Quote:
Well, yes, but isn't the gay community supposed to be inclusive?

The several gay women who spoke after that AA meeting were pissed. This was a women’s roundup and that meant biological women only.

I didn't stick around for what happened next. The meeting was over so I left.

However, I will say the women upset were hard-core butch. Not to be trifled with,
The only women that exist are biological women. XY will never be YY. Inclusion had nothing to do with it. Men weren't allowed at that meeting.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm certain the majority of women don't cosign this nonsense.
Women are more likely than men to be okay and advocate for transgender rights. I’m sure if you looked at the growth of the lgbt community, you would find that the most significant growth in that community comes from women. Here is a poll showing that the majority of women don’t have negative views about trans people.

“Younger adults, Asian Americans, those with a bachelor’s degree or more education and women tend to be more likely to say social acceptance of transgender people is good for society. On the other side, White adults, older people, those without a bachelor’s degree and men tend to be more likely to say greater acceptance is bad for society.”

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-society/

Old 03-02-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Women are more likely than men to be okay and advocate for transgender rights. I’m sure if you looked at the growth of the lgbt community, you would find that the most significant growth in that community comes from women. Here is a poll showing that the majority of women don’t have negative views about trans people.

“Younger adults, Asian Americans, those with a bachelor’s degree or more education and women tend to be more likely to say social acceptance of transgender people is good for society. On the other side, White adults, older people, those without a bachelor’s degree and men tend to be more likely to say greater acceptance is bad for society.”

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-society/
Results provide ample evidence of anti-trans perspectives among some lesbian cis women feminists. Overall, the findings provide a starting point to begin to understand how to dismantle the complexities embedded in the relationships between feminism, lesbian identity, and trans negativity and work toward a trans-inclusive future of feminism.
https://link.springer.com/article/10...19-022-09970-w

Old 03-02-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Results provide ample evidence of anti-trans perspectives among some lesbian cis women feminists. Overall, the findings provide a starting point to begin to understand how to dismantle the complexities embedded in the relationships between feminism, lesbian identity, and trans negativity and work toward a trans-inclusive future of feminism.
https://link.springer.com/article/10...19-022-09970-w
Ok, you are speaking of some lesbians and feminists. I’m sure you could find this to be the case in any group. I bet you would find wider acceptance of trans people amongst lesbians and feminists than that of the wider population.

Last edited by ecko_complex24; 03-02-2023 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 08:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,696,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Celebrating a man for International Women's Day definitely takes away from women.

You are literally replacing a woman with a man.

I'm all for celebrating all women. Biological women. Not men playing insulting dress up.

Being a woman is not a character to play.
Well said.

If I styled my hair and face to make myself appear black, could I take the place of an actual black person for some black-specific celebration?? That would never be tolerated, of course! So why do men get to pretend to be women, and take the place of women? (Time Magazine woman of the year, for example.)

One's sex is a matter of biology, specifically genetics. It is a physical reality. Maleness and femaleness are not a personality trait. Male or female is not how a person feels. It is not how a person wants to dress or behave. Being a man or a woman is not a matter of preference. It is a genetic reality, unchangeable, with absolutely no basis in feelings, wishes, preferences, or pretenses.

Maybe the word gender should be discarded entirely. Most of my life gender was an exact synonym for sex, but in recent years certain people began lecturing other people that "gender is not the same as sex." That change of definition somehow allowed words like man and woman to no longer have a concrete definition (to certain far-left "woke"individuals.)

Femininity and masculinity is not the same as sex. The person in the Hershey ad may "feel feminine." That's fine. He may love wearing makeup and long hair, and clothes designed for women. Fine. He's not a woman. And he shouldn't be featured in a celebration of International Women's Day.

Last edited by kayanne; 03-02-2023 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Ok, you are speaking some lesbians and feminists. I’m sure you could find this to be the case in any group. I bet you would find wider acceptance of trans people amongst lesbians and feminists than that of the wider population.
I’m not gay or part of their community. However, the lesbians who spoke after the AA I attended were upset. They were adamant and didn’t want trans women attending their (women only) roundup.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Where is the man in a dress?

I see a transwoman. My womanhood and femininity isn't threatened by her. Why is yours?
I believe in science. That being said when I was a little kid we learned if you have a penis you are a boy. If you have a vagina you are a girl. You can wear a dress and have a penis, but you are still a boy/man. It really is that simple. I don't care if guys wear a dress, but don't TELL ME how to think or act as I believe in science and I am not sorry about it one bit. Gay? Fine. Bi? Fine. Wear a dress as a man? Fine. Don't tell me to say you are a woman however because that is FALSE! I have MY rights too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies