Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who thinks the Red/Blue scheme is backwards? I hate the whole idea from the start, because it's inherently divisive, but in most parts of the world, red is associated with the political left (labor, social causes, Canada's "liberal reds") and blue with the right (blue blood, etc). How did we ever get it mixed up from the way everyone else does it? Every time I hear someone talk about Red and Blue states, I have to stop and remind myself which is which, because it seems totally counterintuitive.

Surely, it can't be just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the Red/Blue scheme is backwards? I hate the whole idea from the start, because it's inherently divisive, but in most parts of the world, red is associated with the political left (labor, social causes, Canada's "liberal reds") and blue with the right (blue blood, etc). How did we ever get it mixed up from the way everyone else does it? Every time I hear someone talk about Red and Blue states, I have to stop and remind myself which is which, because it seems totally counterintuitive.

One cartographer, working at the time for ESRI (the preeminent GIS mapping software company) made the fateful decision to symbolize that map, by color, the day after the election. There was no rhyme or reason to it. The county-wide map quickly became a national sensation. But the genesis of it was one mapper, who was able to put the election returns into one Excel spreadsheet, then do a 'spatial join' appending the county name column from the Excel table onto the existing county data base. That's precisely how that map was born.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Before Election 2000, blue was Republican and red was Democrat.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Since it is no longer PC to have "teams", the color purple was dreamed up, I imagine to try to ameliorate the two extremes.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Actually, to be really technical about it, there are only a couple of blue or red states in the US. The rest are all considered swing states. I think the 'permanent' blue states are California, Illinois, New York, and Pennsylvania. The primary red states are Utah, Minnesota, Georgia, Indiana, and Alabama. The rest fall in line with one of the listed states.

The whole Red, Blue, and Purple thing is obsolete, because really the political spectrum is not two sided, but has 4 points. Left is Liberal or "Blue" by American terms, Right is Conservative or "Red" by American terms. Down is Libertarian, and up is Statist (no color association except maybe white for independent).

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post

You are 100% correct. I use the colors properly in my conversations.

p.s. Everyone thinks I'm nuts.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Blue is a calming color, red is not

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Blue is a calming color, red is not
Unless you're undergoing a blood test.

I always find it reassuring when that little vial suddenly fills with bright red blood.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
[quote=Frankie117;3924719]Actually, to be really technical about it, there are only a couple of blue or red states in the US. The rest are all considered swing states. I think the 'permanent' blue states are California, Illinois, New York, and Pennsylvania. The primary red states are Utah, Minnesota, Georgia, Indiana, and Alabama. The rest fall in line with one of the listed states.

[quote]

Hate to nitpick, but can't resist. Indiana and Pennsylvania are quintessential swing states. Minnesota hasn't voted "red" since Reagan. About a month ago I saw a poll for New York that had McCain beating Obama and Clinton. This year all expectations should be thrown out the window.

But I always wondered why Dems weren't red too. I dunno.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Actually, to be really technical about it, there are only a couple of blue or red states in the US. The rest are all considered swing states. I think the 'permanent' blue states are California, Illinois, New York, and Pennsylvania. The primary red states are Utah, Minnesota, Georgia, Indiana, and Alabama. The rest fall in line with one of the listed states.

Hate to nitpick, but can't resist. Indiana and Pennsylvania are quintessential swing states. Minnesota hasn't voted "red" since Reagan. About a month ago I saw a poll for New York that had McCain beating Obama and Clinton. This year all expectations should be thrown out the window.

But I always wondered why Dems weren't red too. I dunno.
Um, yeah. Minnesota has gone the longest without voting for a Republican for president. It was the only state to go for Mondale in 1984. It didn't vote for Reagan in 1980, either. In that sense, it's "bluer" (or "redder", if you insist) than any state you listed as permanent Dem states. (In fact, GA went to Carter in 1980 as well. All the "permanent" dem states you mentioned voted for Reagan both times.)

Last edited by UnderTheLiveOaks; 05-30-2008 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies