Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 05:18 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,021,953 times

Advertisements

This is typical for communist countries, talk about small goverment you want eh federal goverment to build and fill 10 cities, not dystopic at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 07:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 620,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I realize that some lefties are too dumb to know that not all Conservatives are boomers. It's about half. The other half is a bunch of half baked hippies who are now NIMBYs.

The younger Conservatives are not interested in "muh 50s". They just want everyone else older than them to stop destroying everything and being so damn greedy.
If 50 % of conservatives are boomers, that doesn't bode well for the future for Republicans. They make up about 21% of the total population. They are rapidly aging out.

Every era has good and bad aspects. The 1950s had issues. Most people alive today weren't even alive in the 1950s.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:47 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Nope. I've never heard a Conservative wish for the 50s.
Hahahaha! You must be new here. There are dozens of posts on this forum talking about "the good old days" when gasoline was cheap, when women stayed at home, when kids were respectful to their elders, when parents didn't get divorced, blah, blah, blah.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:36 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hahahaha! You must be new here. There are dozens of posts on this forum talking about "the good old days" when gasoline was cheap, when women stayed at home, when kids were respectful to their elders, when parents didn't get divorced, blah, blah, blah.
The only negative thing I see is when and if women were "obligated" to stay at home and not work if they wanted to. What's wrong with the rest?

Old 03-23-2023, 08:25 AM

10,516 posts, read 7,056,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WM789 View Post
It's an interesting proposition and could be a great way to stimulate the economy. However, it would be important to make sure that local criminal lawyers are available to provide legal services to those who reside in the new cities. This would ensure that the citizens of the new cities have access to justice and would help to ensure their rights are protected.
Well that is a constitutional right. I would just hope the cities are designed to attract the right type of people, and deter from congested housing which is known to bring in crime.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,617,920 times
So, in 50 years, all this property, which you and I now own, will be owned by whom? The Tumps and other billionaire speculators. I really gotta give it to him for this swindle. Pure genius.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:01 AM

2,979 posts, read 3,541,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That makes no sense. Cities are growing all over the place. Why do we need new ones specifically on federal land? As if DC is any pillar of the nation that we should aspire to replicate.
Good comment.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:26 AM

10,516 posts, read 7,056,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
If 50 % of conservatives are boomers, that doesn't bode well for the future for Republicans. They make up about 21% of the total population. They are rapidly aging out.

Every era has good and bad aspects. The 1950s had issues. Most people alive today weren't even alive in the 1950s.
You do realize that boomers are also of the hippie era? Sex, drugs and rock and roll, and the elder ones protested Vietnam.

Conservative skew older because they live life and have experience. Through life experience they realize all the sh*t the left talks about is counterproductive, harmful and are the wrong decision. There are some boomers that are still democrats, and they are easy to pick out of the crowd as they are the lower denomination of the crowd.

Millenials are the largest growing crowd of conservatives.

Also, if you look at the Presidential field there is almost zero lineup of younger talent from the leftwing side. The Republicans are swamped.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,088,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
You can probably list government planned cities on one hand.

1. St. Petersburg, Russia
2. Washington D.C.
3. Brasilia, Brazil

The only examples that I can think of are capital cities.
There’s actually a long list of them. But those are the most famous ones. A lot of cities historically and even today in certain countries have heavy handed government contribution to their construction. If you go to antiquity tons of cities were built solely by the king and his troops under his direction.

For example a famous government city is Paris which had its entire city redesigned and much of Japan was rebuilt utilizing the government.
Also in many cities around the country government have heavy input in the buildout of neighborhoods and things like that they just don’t necessarily plan every aspect of development like The above three cities mentioned were.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:05 AM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You do realize that boomers are also of the hippie era? Sex, drugs and rock and roll, and the elder ones protested Vietnam.

Conservative skew older because they live life and have experience. Through life experience they realize all the sh*t the left talks about is counterproductive, harmful and are the wrong decision. There are some boomers that are still democrats, and they are easy to pick out of the crowd as they are the lower denomination of the crowd.

Millenials are the largest growing crowd of conservatives.

Also, if you look at the Presidential field there is almost zero lineup of younger talent from the leftwing side. The Republicans are swamped.
I don't know. Based on what I've seen, age isn't the only factor. I know plenty of conservatives ages 45 and older. However, I know a large number of conservatives under the age of 40. In fact, alot of those conservatives were conservatives when they were 20 years old. I ran into plenty of 20 year-old conservatives in college (during the mid 2000s).

Life experience might explain the older conservatives. However, in my experiences, it doesn't explain everything. It does not explain the younger conservatives.

I've noticed something else. Region, race, education, and occupation play a role too. I notice that most of the younger conservatives I've run into had most of these things in common: White, grew up in the South, lived in the suburbs or rural area, very religious. At least this was the case between the mid 2000s into the mid 2010s.

I've also noticed something else. Very few Blacks, even those with conservative views, ever vote Republican. This cuts across most backgrounds. Regardless of religion, regardless of education, regardless of income, few Blacks vote Republican. I've met more Hispanics and Asians who voted Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies