Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2023, 09:20 AM

15,771 posts, read 7,779,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Citizens not wishing to pay for wasteful, corrupt government; imagine that.
Perhaps when they demonstrate better fiscal management skills, people would be more willing to fund them.
Somehow, the national debt in Russia only amounts to 13% of their annual GDP; yet you and I(and everyone)owe $90,000 each.
And people delude themselves thinking they can gain equity via purchasing their own home vs rent.
Muhahahahahaha!, I just did the math; 20 years of property taxes completely off-set the gains.
The U.S. is rapidly becoming a third world nation, and having resided in one; they were way ahead of this woke broke joke of a country 20 years ago.
Our mortgage plus taxes and insurance is less than what it would cost to rent an apartment or similar house. And, our house is worth twice what we paid for it. I am not sure how you think we would be ahead renting.

Other countries have less debt because their taxes are far higher than what anyone here is willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 09:23 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,282,238 times
Quote:
Perhaps when they demonstrate better fiscal management skills, people would be more willing to fund them.
Somehow, the national debt in Russia only amounts to 13% of their annual GDP; yet you and I(and everyone)owe $90,000 each.
And people delude themselves thinking they can gain equity via purchasing their own home vs rent.
Muhahahahahaha!, I just did the math; 20 years of property taxes completely off-set the gains.
The U.S. is rapidly becoming a third world nation, and having resided in one; they were way ahead of this woke broke joke of a country 20 years ago.
Going Galt? Deliberately working less and reducing their income to reduce their tax bill? Intentionally starving the beast? You could be right about that.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:05 AM

3,561 posts, read 1,525,443 times
Default Our Constitution's fair-share formulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Please tell me WHO decides the 'fair share'?
Don't expect WRM to point to our Constitution's fair share formulas which the people agreed to when ratifying our Constitution:

(1)Each States fair share of any direct tax laid by Congress:

States’ population
---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S FAIR SHARE OF DIRECT TAX
Total U.S. Population

(2)Each States' fair share of Congressional Representatives:
State`s Pop.
------------------- X House size (435) = STATE'S FAIR SHARE OF REPRESENTATIVES
U.S. Pop.

And HERE is an example of the apportioned direct tax being laid by Congress and each state’s fair share of the $3MILLION being raised.

BTW, see Section 7 of the direct tax of 1813 allowing states to raise their share in their own chosen way and be entitled to certain deductions in meeting their payment on time.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk1 View Post
Don't expect WRM to point to our Constitution's fair share formulas which the people agreed to when ratifying our Constitution:

States’ population
---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S FAIR SHARE OF DIRECT TAX
Total U.S. Population

State`s Pop.
U.S. Pop.

And HERE is an example of the apportioned direct tax being laid by Congress and each state’s fair share of the $3MILLION being raised.

BTW, see Section 7 of the direct tax of 1813 allowing states to raise their share in their own chosen way and be entitled to certain deductions in meeting their payment on time.
Why do you keep bringing up the utterly irrelevant $3 million tax law from 210 years ago.

Quit conflating the make up of the House of Representatives with taxation. And don't forget that under your definition, the Senate isn't "fair".

Do you really think that if the states are tasked with raising the apportioned taxes, they won't use progressive tax rates? Why do you want to make this all harder than it should be. The current scheme is just fine, there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:11 PM

8,217 posts, read 3,761,833 times
Quote:

States’ population
Total U.S. Population

State`s Pop.
U.S. Pop.

Lol. You really have a lot of free time on your hands. I can only wish.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

Quit conflating the make up of the House of Representatives with taxation. .
Did you miss the following in your civics class?

Article I, Section 2, Clause 3:

Quote:
"Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States .. "
I could understand you not learning the above in a civics class as government schools have been too busy for the past couple of generations teaching racial hatred.

In any event, and contrary to your above remark, there is no "conflating" on my part.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:58 PM

2,686 posts, read 3,892,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad99 View Post
The top 1% of Americans own as much wealth as the other 90%. That isn’t sustainable.

There is no evidence that this is a true statement.

You act as if wealth is a finite item.

Better idea - let wealthy to get richer by financing and innovating new technologies, ideas and businesses that create more wealth. Everyone who wants to; can participate and get richer.

Of course there will be the Losers, slackers, vagrants and union public school employees who would rather be provided handouts - but we can deal with them.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the following in your civics class?

Article I, Section 2, Clause 3:

I could understand you not learning the above in a civics class as government schools have been too busy for the past couple of generations teaching racial hatred.

In any event, and contrary to your above remark, there is no "conflating" on my part.

You are conflating, making apportionment for the House of representatives and apportionment for taxes appear to be the same. They are not. Each state gets at least one Representative, regardless of population. If Alaska had a population of 5,000, it would still get on Representative, but for tax apportionment, the percentage would be much different.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You are conflating, making apportionment for the House of representatives and apportionment for taxes appear to be the same.
I haven't conflated anything. Our Constitution commands the rule of apportionment be applied to determine each State's number of Representatives, and each State's share of any direct tax laid by Congress.

Why are you making stuff up, again?

Old 05-21-2023, 08:17 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,428,183 times
Quote:
That's a good post - being a home owner is still better in the long run than renting but it's not as good as it may seem on the surface. The key is to buy less home than you need and live well on the difference. I have two co-workers that bought big homes and both of them will be working for the rest of their lives to pay them off. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies