Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 06:50 AM

24,332 posts, read 17,065,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Correct. The solution is not to draw the attention of law enforcement in the first place., If they are looking at you, you must be doing something suspicious or against the norm.

Most Police interactions come down to that. You do something that attracts their attention. The last time I was pulled over I was tired from driving all day, in a strange town in a different state and I zigged when I should have zagged. I'm white the cop was black, not that it should make a difference but to some it does. I put my hands on the wheel where he could see them, he came up to the passenger side I put down the window and we had a respectful conversation. He understood and I didn't even get a warning but I'm sure if I had given him attitude or any reason for suspicion the casual traffic stop could have turned.

Another recent interaction with Police I was the victim. A couple of drunk losers broke into a house I was renovating and punched holes in a few walls and made a mess. One of the cops that responded was a total jerk, asking the same questions again and again like the break in was my fault. The other cop was decent and understanding.

I think that one jerk cop felt like I was wasting his time over a simple break in where nothing was stolen just damages were done. He had a lousy attitude.

I guess it comes down to empathy. There are plenty of doctors that lack a bed side manner. There are doctors that probably should not be doctors but they are.

The problems we have with the Police can be found in many professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 07:09 AM

9,351 posts, read 5,104,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well, I personally have been pulled over as a young black male between my early 20's up into my mid 30's.. ..I fit the profile.. I have been pulled over probably a total of 7 - 8 times in my driving career, all legitimate offenses though, but I have no tickets, no infractions, no charges.. ..mainly because I didn't throw a big fuss about it and was willing to comply with the officer.

The first time was doing 65 in a 50 zone in a Cherry Apple Red 2001 Camaro Z28. Cop was irritated but he let me off with a warning because I had no prior infractions and I didn't escalate matters.

Second time, I made a left turn while I was in the middle of an intersection after the light turned red. While I did wonder about the legality of that, I didn't bug the cop about it and just cooperated with him. He explained it wasn't a right to turn intersection ... I just said 'Yes sir.' and he let me go on my way.

The third time, I was heading to Florida in a Monte Carlo - my fathers car. I was fitting the profile and got lit up for the Georgia State Patrol. At first I thought he was flagging me for speeding, but he told me something about a cover being on our license plate (how could he have seen that from a dead stop is beyond me). After he saw it was just me (who was alteast clean cut) and my mother (who looked like a business woman) his suspicion seemingly dropped. He asked where we were headed, I told him we were going to a Real Estate Convention.. ..he let us go on our way..

The fourth time, I was going through a breakup and had alot on my mind, I wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going and ended up doing 50 in a 35. I didn't even notice the cop had been pursuing me for several blocks either. She was PISSED when I finally pulled over. I deeply and sincerely apologized to her when she asked me why I didnt immediately pull over, I told her I just had alot on my mind after a breakup. She seemed very suspicious at first. She ran my license and came back and told me my saving grace was that I had a clean record and reminded me of what the speed limit was.

The fifth time. I was headed to Denny's once again in the same Firebird. It was 3am, I couldn't sleep.. I decided I'd grab some breakfast.. ..a cat jumped out infront of and scared the living crap out of me, I jumped into the left lane to avoid it and ended up jumping infront of another vehicle, then I jumped into the center turn lane to avoid being rear-ended by that vehicle.. ..then came back over to the right lane, and got lit up... The cop pulled me over and wanted to know why I was dancing all over the road, I explained to him what happened. He ran my license, came back and gave me a warning and told me he didn't want to see driving like that again.

The sixth time. I was doing 65 in a 50 zone again, this time in a 2017 Camaro, albeit on a much wider and flatter / open road where 50 felt a bit slow, I was trying to get around someone too, got pulled over by a biker cop. Cooperated with him, he asked me where I was from ( I had just moved to TX ) and what I did for work ( I was in IT ) .. and he let me go free after that and reminded me the speed limit.

The seventh time. I feel this 'may' have been a profiling attempt as I drove by a cop who was sitting on the shoulder of the road while I was doing an Uber and pulled into a very affluent neighbhorhood. I got lit up but the cop calmed down when they saw my Uber app and told me she was just pulling me over because my license tag light was out and told me if everything cleared on my MVR I was good to go... and got off with another warning. I ended up selling the car before I replaced the license tag light though.

The eighth time happened fairly recently, and ironically too. I was pulling into a empty and wide street zoned for residential (no houses on it, and very wide.. ..just in a residential side of town) The street used to have a 40 MPH speed limit but the city reduced it to 30. I entered the street doing 55. I noticed and told myself 'whoa, I need to slow down' .. ..and I did.. ..but then kept driving and the random thoughts came back and I wandered into 45 ... ... and passed a cop ... got lit up .. pulled over immediately, I knew I was at fault and didn't even bother trying to fabricate a lie, I straight up told the cop I wasn't paying attention. I was still using an out of state license too (the DMV's were backlogged due to Covid-19 and it took me over a year to get an appointment) and explained the situation. She cooperated, ran my license.. ..came back to me and gave me a warning but cautioned me to slow down. I also apologized to her.

So from my personal experiences I can't conclude that bad cop experiences are always explicitly due to race but.. ..multiple factors and race is sometimes one of them.

That stated, I personally will not escalate matters with a cop. I think it's stupid to do so. That stated though I have witnessed where matters escalated on the cops side even when the person was acting within his rights, and sometimes even peacefully.. ..and I also find it appalling how many cops seem not to know our rights or constitution which, gets alittle scary.
Pardon me, but you sound like an inattentive, speed prone driver. I'd pull you over, too. Not all police work is quelling riots. jeez

Old 03-16-2023, 07:14 AM

9,428 posts, read 4,280,393 times
We don't have a police oppression problem. The issue is a bunch of child-like dip****s who throw a temper tantrum when asked to do anything by an authority figure. The vast majority of police/citizen encounters that go bad are 100% the fault of the citizen acting like a jackass when asked even the most benign question by a police officer.

Old 03-16-2023, 10:15 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,774,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What about the" OVER 6 MILLION interactions people have with the police each year and NOTHING BAD happens?

Sure, there some "bad "guys, but, to paint ALL police is asinine!

As most others have said, cooperate, be polite and the odds are NOTHING bad will happen to you.

Be an idiot, and you WILL be treated like one!
I disagree.
There are very few or no good cops.

Please Explain why:
Almost every time a police officer has been convicted in criminal court of murdering or assaulting an innocent civilian this is NEVER the result of good cops holding bad cops accountable.

The cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they lie on police reports that are contradicted by video evidence. Are these the actions of good cops?

These convictions come about from private citizen or bodycam videos going viral and citizen outrage not “good cops.”

Old 03-16-2023, 10:40 AM

9,428 posts, read 4,280,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
I disagree.
There are very few or no good cops.

Please Explain why:
Almost every time a police officer has been convicted in criminal court of murdering or assaulting an innocent civilian this is NEVER the result of good cops holding bad cops accountable.

The cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they lie on police reports that are contradicted by video evidence. Are these the actions of good cops?

These convictions come about from private citizen or bodycam videos going viral and citizen outrage not “good cops.”
Statistics don't support your position. There are over 60,000,000 police/citizen interactions in the US every year.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf
An extremely small number of these interactions go badly. If you're having frequent bad interactions with the police, it's probably you.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Statistics don't support your position. There are over 60,000,000 police/citizen interactions in the US every year.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf
An extremely small number of these interactions go badly. If you're having frequent bad interactions with the police, it's probably you.
That’s a red herring argument
A bad cop doesn’t haven’t to be a bad cop everyday maybe they are bad if they didn’t get a promotion, didn’t have there morning coffee, the wife stops BJs,their kid is flunking algebra

Please address my issue which I will repeat.
Please Explain why:

Old 03-16-2023, 12:58 PM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
........Another issue is, who really wants to be a cop? They are underpaid, hated by the public (even more so today) and have quite a dangerous job, therefore the typical contender to the badge is either A.) has a deep passion for the job or B.) is a total nutjob who is willing to undertake the risks and is probably a bit borderline himself to be willing to do so. ... and option B is typically the person who violates rights and gets away with it.
Well, there you go. We have destroyed the position that the really good people aren't going to take the job, so what do we have now? The public attitudes must change to how police are treated to get the good people back and that may take years, if not decades........if it can be done at all.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:05 PM

18,673 posts, read 7,542,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
That’s a red herring argument
A bad cop doesn’t haven’t to be a bad cop everyday
But a good cop must be good every day, 100%, 24/7/365. Or else he's a bad cop.

Meaning, the only good cop is a PERFECT cop.

Can somebody remind me, how many PERFECT cops there are?

Fertile ground for the hatemongers and rabble-rousers who want to condemn all cops and banish them from society.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
But a good cop must be good every day, 100%, 24/7/365. Or else he's a bad cop.

Meaning, the only good cop is a PERFECT cop.

Can somebody remind me, how many PERFECT cops there are?

Fertile ground for the hatemongers and rabble-rousers who want to condemn all cops and banish them from society.
That is a straw man argument
Cops don’t have to be perfect.
But they can NEVER falsely arrest, violently assault or kill innocent civilians. BECAUSE ITS IN THE CONSTITUTION

I consistently rebut and point out the logical fallacies in your arguments but you are unable to even address the issue I have pointed out 3 times

Please Explain why:

Being highly educated and intelligent I could point out you errors in reasoning all day. But it’s boring.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:58 PM

24,332 posts, read 17,065,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
We don't have a police oppression problem. The issue is a bunch of child-like dip****s who throw a temper tantrum when asked to do anything by an authority figure. The vast majority of police/citizen encounters that go bad are 100% the fault of the citizen acting like a jackass when asked even the most benign question by a police officer.

You are correct. How many times have we seen a peaceful interaction turn ugly because the suspect threw a nutty due to that enormous chip on their shoulder. It happens all the time. How many times have we seen idiots fighting cops for some stupid reason.

My favorite is when some fool gets pulled over and has a video running. They put the window down an inch and they turn into a Constitutional Lawyer citing their Rights when all the cop is asking for an ID. It is really funny when the windows get smashed and the fools are dragged off to jail.

We have far too many fools that think they are above the law and when called out they act like idiots. What is a cop to do? He stops the idiot from lashing out and the cops tactics are under suspicion. He lets the guy go and he goes on to hurt someone and the world questions why the cop did not stop the guy.

The cops can't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies