Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 11:47 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times

Advertisements

Ban it on government devices sure. I'd imagine employers who allow/require sensitive work related items on personal phones could require it not be installed as well.

But ban it for everyone? That seems rather un-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 11:52 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If the government wants to ban from government computers/devices, fine. I think it's going too far, however, to try to ban from private citizen devices. If people know the risks associated with the app but still voluntarily choose to use it, so be it. Just my two cents.
It is not just the security risk, I would be for banning TikTok even if there was no security risk.

Why? Because China bans everyone else. Twitter, Facebook, Google, dozens of international news organizations all blocked in China but we are supposed to allow their websites in our countries.

So Chinese companies have a near monopoly in their own country but compete freely internationally. Meanwhile private companies from America and other countries cannot compete within China. Do you know what that is called? Unfair economic competition. It is how they took over so many industries, now they want to dominate the Web, streaming and the information space as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mainland_China

Old 03-18-2023, 12:05 PM

2,034 posts, read 852,412 times
You guys are buying into the rhetoric of TikTok spying. Here’s some facts. And these are facts from people in the know. Tech experts. TikTok doesn’t do anything different than Instagram, Facebook, and other social media outlets. The reason there’s bipartisan support to ban TikTok? Is because it’s the last venue that they don’t have some control over. As in your government. It’s an instantaneous source for news to get out there that your government doesn’t want you to know about. And that’s why they’re trying to shut it down. If you do some research into this and really look into it, that’s actually what’s going on. They can’t control it, they can’t sensor it in anyway, and they need it to go away.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:20 PM

7,897 posts, read 3,447,226 times
I say we should ban it completely and I don't care if that makes me a hypocrite in some way. It's a security danger and a cultural menace, run by entities in league with a hostile government.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:48 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,163,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
You guys are buying into the rhetoric of TikTok spying. Here’s some facts. And these are facts from people in the know. Tech experts. TikTok doesn’t do anything different than Instagram, Facebook, and other social media outlets. The reason there’s bipartisan support to ban TikTok? Is because it’s the last venue that they don’t have some control over. As in your government. It’s an instantaneous source for news to get out there that your government doesn’t want you to know about. And that’s why they’re trying to shut it down. If you do some research into this and really look into it, that’s actually what’s going on. They can’t control it, they can’t sensor it in anyway, and they need it to go away.
the ccp own a big part of the company that runs tiktok and full of " formerly " ccp members !

Old 03-18-2023, 01:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
Tiktok has been good for thousands of people around my age to get careers whether selling a product or becoming a star for various reasons or helping people find long lost siblings so just on those reasons I see the benefit to society even though most content on there is silly fun theirs lots of business and interesting and serious convos and trends for youth culture being made on the app.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:11 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,467,634 times
I'd say ban it altogether, but that's easy for me to say since I don't use it. But I don't like China having at-will access to Americans' data.

Of course, China makes many if not all of our computers and cell phones, so banning TikTok may not make any difference.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:56 PM

2,034 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'd say ban it altogether, but that's easy for me to say since I don't use it. But I don't like China having at-will access to Americans' data.

Of course, China makes many if not all of our computers and cell phones, so banning TikTok may not make any difference.
There is no such thing as private data anymore. Every single one of the social media entities do the same thing. And they all trade information with each other or can access it. TikTok is doing nothing that anyone else is doing. China can gather all the same information that they’re getting via TikTok through any of the other social media outlets. Times have changed. Privacy doesn’t exist in any capacity anymore. Everything you do online is monitored by everyone equally. The reason, again, the government is bi partisan in their attempt to shut it down because they can’t control it. Plain and simple.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:19 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
On the Tik Tok -- everyone keeps saying it is the kids.

It isn't -- just if you think just kids is on Tik Tok -- you don't know what you think you know about Tik Tok.
Yup, think of the alt-right's favorite libs of tiktok.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:21 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
It is amusing when someone complains about it just being an app of dancing young girls.

Well, it just shows you what it does based on your history so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies