Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 06:20 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times

Advertisements

Another interesting, data-driven article by Ron Brownstein in The Atlantic.

A study of America’s Congressional Districts finds that they are divided into 4 quadrants by race and white educational attainment.

In house districts that are below the national average for racial diversity and for white college graduates (so called LO-LO districts) the Republicans hold an overwhelming 142 to 21 lead over the Democrats.

In LO-HI districts (low minority/high white college grads): D 37 R 30

In HI-LO districts (high minority/low white college grads): D 57 R 35

In HI-HI districts (high minority/high white college grads): D 98 R 15

Quote:
The intense Republican reliance on this single type of mostly white, blue-collar district helps explain why the energy in the party over recent years has shifted from the small-government arguments that drove the GOP in the Reagan era toward the unremitting culture-war focus pursued by Donald Trump and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. Many of the most militantly conservative House Republicans represent these “lo-lo” districts—a list that includes Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, Lauren Boebert of Colorado, Matt Gaetz of Florida, Ralph Norman of South Carolina, and Scott Perry of Pennsylvania.

“The right accuses the left of identity politics, when the analysis of this data suggests that identity politics has become the core of the Republican Party,” Pastor told me.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...alysis/673422/

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-19-2023 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 06:52 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Yes it is true that the Republican Party is the party of the working class and the Democratic Party is the party of elitists. It's been that way since the 1850s.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:53 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Clean house.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:10 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Other than proving that high minority areas vote overwhelmingly Democratic, this study shows me nothing. I know what the insinuation is - only low educated racist whites vote Republican. Newsflash - a college degree isn't a indicator of anything other than you went to college.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:14 AM

7,340 posts, read 3,514,319 times
solution: have only one party of ultra far left and everything will be perfect

Old 03-19-2023, 07:17 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

A study of America’s Congressional Districts finds that they are divided into 4 quadrants by race and white educational attainment.

In house districts that are below the national average for racial diversity and for white college graduates (so called LO-LO districts) the Republicans hold an overwhelming 142 to 21 lead over the Democrats.

Being a college grad is essentially meaningless these days. Heck, even being a high school grad is becoming simply a marker of the passage of time and not recognition of knowledge acquired. Which brings me to my point: Why does every analysis of voter demographics include education level? I know why, but let's see of any liberal/Dem/progessive C-D voters are enlightened, self-aware, and courageous enough to admit it. Go.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:24 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Other than proving that high minority areas vote overwhelmingly Democratic, this study shows me nothing. I know what the insinuation is - only low educated racist whites vote Republican. Newsflash - a college degree isn't a indicator of anything other than you went to college.
I don’t think the article insinuates anything. It just documents how overwhelmingly white and non-college the core of the GOP has become. It explains to a large degree the changes in R policies from the pre-Trump days. And college attainment does have a significance politically, for whatever reason you choose to believe.

Another thing from the article; the higher the percentage of immigration, the likelier that the district is blue. That’s not just due to the immigrants themselves. There was a study a few years ago that asked pro/con questions on immigration and sorted the responses by zip code. The highest level of opposition to immigration came from the zip codes where you were least likely to have contact with an immigrant. If you have little to no contract with a group, you are more likely think of them as an alien species rather than individuals. Those types of districts are the core LO/LO’s that have become the base of the new GOP, while at the same time the percentage of white non-college voters is decreasing while minorities and white college grads are increasing their share of eligible voters. I’m not sure if that represents a demographic cul-de-sac for the GOP as Jeff Flake stated, but it’s interesting.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-19-2023 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-19-2023, 09:02 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

Some of the dumbest people when it comes to common sense went to college. Many of them are liberals.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:43 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yes it is true that the Republican Party is the party of the working class and the Democratic Party is the party of elitists. It's been that way since the 1850s.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:11 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

The highest correlation that I see from the above stats is "the higher the minority percentage, the more likely the district votes Democrat." The "white college grads" has little to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies