Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 10:56 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
My nephew died from a Fetenayl OD two years ago. He was 26. I didn't shed a tear.
Frankly, if I had an uncle as callous and uncaring as you I might kill myself too.

You may not care if a family member dies, but most people do. The market for Narcan is family and friends of addicts, and employers who suspect workers may be into drugs. Some of us just don't give up on sick people. Nobody has the hope of getting better if they're dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 11:03 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
I suppose it'll be of some psychological benefit to concerned family members. Junkies deserve a chance to live long enough to try and overcome their addiction.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:06 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Let them die. Junkies contribute nothing to society.
It's not just junkies dying of fentanyl. There are kids and young adults who take what they think is a xanax or other pill, and they OD on fentanyl that's in the pill. Are you saying making a bad choice should result in death?

Old 03-31-2023, 11:07 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sad but good. In one area I read, the community handed out Narcan to anyone. .

MDC handed out kits with Narcan and Kloxxado, which is a heavier dosage of Naloxone.
Stanley said she wants to train anyone who will listen on administering Narcan so they can save more lives. For her, that starts with her family.
"This is a lifestyle for me and my kids," she said. "My 4 and 7-year-old can administer Narcan and save a life.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/lo...d-1f0e5df185c7

Arlington teachers are not the only ones getting training on the use of naloxone. The free training sessions are also popular with parents and community members. They are also being provided free doses of Narcan to take home.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teacher...isis-fentanyl/

Old 03-31-2023, 11:12 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
My nephew died from a Fetenayl OD two years ago. He was 26. I didn't shed a tear.
Well that’s sad. Addiction is not something you can turn off and on like a light switch. Unfortunately weed or anything can be tainted. Cops just touching the stuff have gotten deathly ill because they got too close. I feel bad for your fam.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:19 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's not just junkies dying of fentanyl. There are kids and young adults who take what they think is a xanax or other pill, and they OD on fentanyl that's in the pill. Are you saying making a bad choice should result in death?
Anyone that takes a pill not prescribed by their doctor and/or from an unauthorized source get what they deserve.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:10 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Anyone that takes a pill not prescribed by their doctor and/or from an unauthorized source get what they deserve.
Sorry, but that reflects a complete lack of understanding of human nature. More than half of young adults have tried drugs. It's also very callous and inhumane.

Here's a post from the mother of a young woman who was a year behind my son in high school. Her daughter died over Christmas holiday from a fentanyl overdose

"The two pictures below are the first and last pictures we will ever take as a complete family. While Kate was home on break after finishing her first semester of college, I found her unresponsive in her room on Christmas Eve afternoon. Although we don’t have the toxicology report back yet, police are confident she ordered a pill off social media (probably Snapchat) which was laced with a lethal amount of fentanyl. She died within minutes of taking it, painlessly and peacefully. We celebrated my husband’s birthday on Monday and she was dead that Saturday.

The police have declared her death a homicide and are actively investigating her murder.
I have so much to say. I had no idea drugs could be purchased via social media, and I had no idea that roughly 90% of the pills on the street are counterfeit. According to the DEA, of that 90%, 42% contain enough fentanyl to kill. A deadly amount of fentanyl is the size of one or two crystals of salt, and ANYTHING can be laced - weed, pills (mostly fake Xanax and Percocet), cocaine, ecstasy/molly - and there’s even brightly colored and flavored pills to entice kids to get them hooked.

A psychiatrist told me he was treating the parents of a 17 year old girl who found a dollar bill on her windshield after school. She pulled it off and died shortly afterwards. It had enough fentanyl on it to kill her. Apparently someone was upset with her, and in this day and age, fentanyl can be found and used as a weapon FROM TEENAGERS.

As parents, we don’t want our kids to do drugs. But we can also agree that if they do, we certainly don’t want them to die from it. Fentanyl testing strips exist and they’re cheap, on Amazon and are easily accessible - but only if you don’t live in Texas. Because in Texas, fentanyl testing strips are ILLEGAL and are considered drug paraphernalia. WTF. This law needs to change IMMEDIATELY. And again, had I known all of this, I would have found a way to give my kid access to them. Just in case. Just to be safe.

I firmly believe that every teenager and young adult should have easy access to fentanyl testing strips and to Narcan, which is a nasal spray used to reverse a fentanyl poisoning in an emergency situation. Both can be bought on Amazon. Why don’t people talk about this?! Safe sex education is everywhere, kids should also know how to not die from fentanyl poisoning. For the record, I hate the term “accidental overdose.” My child didn’t accidentally take too much fentanyl. She didn’t know she was taking it. People OD on taking too much heroin or crack. Words matter.

I will do interviews, talk to schools and youth groups and do everything I can to raise awareness about the insidiousness of fentanyl. Luckily I already have a few of these lined up. Imagine a 15-year-old boy who has a bad day, impulsively orders a Xanax to be delivered to the house when mom has run to the grocery store for milk, and then 30 minutes later she finds him dead on the couch. This is a true story and there are thousands just like it. Fentanyl is now the leading cause of death between people 18-40. Our daughter is a part of this statistic.

There are no words to describe what it feels like to talk about your child in the past tense. I’d rather be skinned alive than feel this pain. I’m often a breath away from dry heaving so I try to numb my emotions in order to be there for our 16-year-old daughter Anna. I say this becasue we’re blown away by the love and compassion and sympathy and empathy shown to us by the people we love and who love us. I read and cherish every text, message, letter and package I receive and your words make me feel a little less alone when my soul has a jagged-edged hole ripped out of the middle of it. They’ve carried me when my legs won’t.

The DEA has an awareness campaign called #OnePillCanKill.

I’ve been asked if it’s ok with me if this post can be shared. Absolutely! Share this post and share our story. Maybe the life you save belongs to the person you tell
."

Old 03-31-2023, 04:25 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Yes, it happened last spring break to a group of 5 West Point cadets.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/12/us/we...nyl/index.html

Old 03-31-2023, 04:29 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
Let them die. Junkies contribute nothing to society.
Hence the term junky. When one's goal and purpose in life is finding the next high for their own personal gratification to the exclusion obeying the law, respecting others and their property they are indeed junk. And should be subject to laws of Darwin and nature.

Making death less likely by ODing is enabling. Participating in their high even if hanging around with narcan just in case is enabling. The friends or family who buy it care more for the junky than the junky cares about themselves. The junky must be allowed to hit a bottom where they go splat. If they get sick often enough from ODing maybe one day they'll say they are tired of it and want to sober up and seek/accept help. Administering narcan is not help especially if it's more than once it's enabling.

The junky needs motivation to change. Misery and consequences are and can be motivation depending on the junky. Don't enable.

Last edited by anononcty; 03-31-2023 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-31-2023, 04:31 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
They should also sell kits that test for fentanyl. I don't have much sympathy for junkies and bla bla bla, but if it's my kid I prefer them to test what they take to avoid ingesting it. The Dutch have testing centers in their towns you can bring whatever you have and they verify what it is. Our government just can't be bright enough on just about anything.

There are a lot of kids that don't know what they are getting. There are probably also people that would take it even after knowing what it is. Test kits make that choice accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies