Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 05:44 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Sadly, seems like suicide is becoming the final answer to a lot of kids for whatever reason.

Not to make light of his bullying, but from what I read, I don't think it would drive an average 13-year old to think about killing themselves.

RIP

https://news.yahoo.com/baseball-phen...091254899.html

Quote:
Minutes later, Robyn got home from the gas station and walked into Terry's room. "I pray that no parent ever has to see ...," Robyn said, unable to say the words, "what I saw."

She knew there was "absolutely, not a chance" that the call to 911 would save her son's life. But Robyn called 911 anyway, hysterical and screaming. Then she called Terry's dad at work.

All Badger heard was Robyn shrieking and screaming words he couldn't understand. "The only way I knew what happened,” he said, ”was the city cop got on the phone and he told me."

Badger ran out of work and sped toward his house. He pulled into the driveway of his Covington home and he saw the police officer standing on the porch with tears streaming down his face.

Terry Alan Badger III was dead by suicide, five months short of his fourteenth birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 05:53 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Two years ago, a ten year old hanged himself here. He had complained he was being bullied at school....by a teacher.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:04 PM

7,353 posts, read 3,819,045 times
It's a very small town. The school appears to be a combined middle school and high school. I wonder if the older kids were bullying him?

In the old days, he would have learned how to fight and taken care of the problem himself. Today, with zero-tolerance for fighting, the boys are acting like girls and backstabbing each other and making fun of each other's clothes.

The old way was better. Boys learned to be careful because there was always a chance someone would give you a black eye, and then you had to explain to your father how you got it and risk getting another.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:08 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
It's a very small town. The school appears to be a combined middle school and high school. I wonder if the older kids were bullying him?

In the old days, he would have learned how to fight and taken care of the problem himself. Today, with zero-tolerance for fighting, the boys are acting like girls and backstabbing each other and making fun of each other's clothes.

The old way was better. Boys learned to be careful because there was always a chance someone would give you a black eye, and then you had to explain to your father how you got it and risk getting another.
When I was in school, the older boys protected the younger ones. You could fight with someone your age, but younger kids were off limits.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When I was in school, the older boys protected the younger ones. You could fight with someone your age, but younger kids were off limits.
Times have changed.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:09 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Very sad. I touch base with my grands all the time. Praying they don’t lose hope in a mean world. The kids lose hope when they see life being painful non stop. These parents are acting like idiots and not understand where kids are TODAY, not how it used to be. The political conflicts - have taken over peoples lives. The pressure is to perform. Sometimes too much in sports. When they lose, I see them break down in tears and parents are angry. WTH
We are not helping our kids to learn to cope. To express emotions, fears or insecurities. We bash bash bash.
God help this family. God help this country.

Last edited by tinytrump; 04-03-2023 at 08:25 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 08:22 PM

Children should not be exposed to the adult world. They are too immature to process it. No social media, no unfiltered TV. If they need a phone, get them a flip-phone. Maybe a smart phone in high school but with parental controls installed.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:32 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Children should not be exposed to the adult world. They are too immature to process it. No social media, no unfiltered TV. If they need a phone, get them a flip-phone. Maybe a smart phone in high school but with parental controls installed.
And then send them into shock at 18? What are you saying? Denial and coddling is not helping kids. There must be hard and deep conversations. Parents must open up their brains to understand the environment the kids face daily. Kids are getting a lot of information but not relationship with family. The kid who went to DC said I’m here but you don’t see me.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:58 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Bullies often learn that behavior from their own abusive parents.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:18 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Another kid who would still be alive if he was homeschooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies