Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 08:42 AM

932 posts, read 544,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Coal is currently the largest source of electricity globally.
"In the past decade, there has been a marked decline in the use of coal for electricity generation. Coal consumption peaked between 2005 and 2008, when over one billion short tons were used every year.
However, with the promotion of natural gas as a bridge-fuel toward a greener power sector, coal as the dirtiest of fossil fuels has fallen out of favor and natural gas has succeeded coal in becoming the main fuel type used for electricity generation in the U.S."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-in-the-us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 08:52 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
"In the past decade, there has been a marked decline in the use of coal for electricity generation. Coal consumption peaked between 2005 and 2008, when over one billion short tons were used every year.
However, with the promotion of natural gas as a bridge-fuel toward a greener power sector, coal as the dirtiest of fossil fuels has fallen out of favor and natural gas has succeeded coal in becoming the main fuel type used for electricity generation in the U.S."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-in-the-us/
I understand that, but when someone states wind is the number one source of electrical power globally... well no it isn't, by far.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ercent%20share.

When we talk about the US production
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Old 04-07-2023, 09:22 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe gas cars are going to be dominant until the problems of electric vehicles are solved
I agree.

As much as I might want one (and to some extent I do) it will just have to wait until these concerns are addressed.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:28 AM

52,293 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe gas cars are going to be dominant until the problems of electric vehicles are solved

1. They take too long to charge. Consumers will no buy a car that cannot be driven across our country as easily as a modern gasoline engine car can. Today on my commute home I saw cars fro Michigan, Florida and Wisconsin. Those people could not have driven here with an EV. This is their BIGGEST issue. EVs must be long distance road worthy to be accepted.

2. Battery replacement cost. It does not make sense to buy a 40k car that is unfixable if the batteries fail.

3. EVs are NOT green. Lithium mining is dirty, lithium disposal is dirty and electricity is not necessarily green either. If the push to switch to electric is political/environmental then we must acknowledge that EV is not what it’s cracked up to be. The environmental issues must be addressed before the tree hugging world will embrace them fully.

4. Electricity supply. We simply do not produce enough electricity to power that many EVs. Also the charging infrastructure is not in place.

We are not ready to switch. Hybrid cars will be wildly successful as they are very efficient but total electric still is not practical. The market will determine when and if we switch not activists or the government.
Agreed.

Too many politician types run their mouths off without a lick of technical understanding of how things actually work. They just mouth the platitude of the day.

Bunch of serious fully formed dumbasses to be honest. I could rant for days about just how ignorant they are, but whatever.

Gov greaseball scumbag here in CA said that ICE cars are done after 2035. Well, guess what, they won't be. When the time comes and they don't have the infrastructure in place, because they won't, they'll quietly roll it back or kick it down the road a bit.

He gets to preen to the pinhead green cult and he'll be long gone before he has to even deal with it.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:40 AM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Right? I don’t understand all of this joy coming from folks about the demise of ICE vehicles and using words like “takeover” and then laughing in the faces of those who happen to like their ICE vehicles for various reasons. “Oh, that person likes the engine noise, WHAT AN IDIOT, HA HA HA” or “Oh, that person likes a manual transmission, WELL IN THAT CASE WHY NOT GO BACK TO A HORSE AND BUGGY, HA HA HA” (although I will note that horses and buggies are not banned by government, but I’m sure some nanny Democrat out there has considered it) or “Oh, that person has to go to the gas station and deal with STINKY gas, HA HA HA HE HE HE WHAT AN IDIOT.”

I use Apple products. I don’t actively hate on people who choose to use Windows-based systems or Android, nor would I celebrate a government mandate that phases those out by eliminating pretty much anything other than Apple. I’d actually fight back against that myself, even though I don’t use (and quite frankly, don’t like) Windows or Android, due to principle.

So yeah, it’s one thing to own and like an EV — good for you! But I don’t get the nasty “I like mine, so I’m going to rub them in the faces of everyone else who is skeptical and/or doesn’t want one” nature of some of these EV owners, and the pro-EV crowd who celebrates these mandates.

Because I wanted to know what I apparently am “missing out on” I rented a Tesla Model 3. It was fine. I don’t like little cars, so it’s not really the right vehicle for me. Yep, it was fast. And yep, it charged at a Tesla charging station just fine (I wasn’t home when I rented it). Nope, it wasn’t the best, most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned, and nope, after driving one I didn’t immediately want it or feel like my current ICE vehicles are so bad.
That's mainly because it's become so politicized. Many threads on this forum where people use EV and woke almost interchangeably. So people feeling attacked attack back.

I think both should remain available. I will never be able to afford a new car (currently drive a 2009 Hyundai) so EV will never be in my future. If they do away with gas cars I'm screwed. But if I had more money to spend, I would probably want at least a hybrid for times when gas is high.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There's no such thing as an electric car. Electricity is not a source of power. The electricity comes from coal, natural gas, fuel oil, nuclear, etc. power plants.
You left out unicorn farts as well as wind and solar.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:04 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
All the intermittent "renewable" sources for electricity are never going to be "cost effective" because their generation does not match up with the load. Thus, they need expensive, fossil fuel BACKUP generation - run at intermittent times - thus compounding their own integral inefficiencies.
Of course, one may feel compelled to pull the plug and go back to the 18th century [applause from the ... uh ... we can't mention them, can we?]

Old 04-07-2023, 05:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
All the intermittent "renewable" sources for electricity are never going to be "cost effective" because their generation does not match up with the load. Thus, they need expensive, fossil fuel BACKUP generation - run at intermittent times - thus compounding their own integral inefficiencies.
Of course, one may feel compelled to pull the plug and go back to the 18th century [applause from the ... uh ... we can't mention them, can we?]
All but the very rich will be compelled to pull the plug. The best analogy I have had read is tying a tourniquet around our collective necks to avert sniffles in the future.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:09 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
You’ve never heard of the heat storage capabilities of some of the latest generations of thermal solar, have you? Many can store enough heat to run a steam turbine for 12-20 hours without sun.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:50 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
For gasoline, it's actually Extract Crude=> Transport Crude to Refinery=>Transport Fuel in Truck to Gas Station=> Go to Gas station to fill up=> Burn very ineffiently with huge losses=> No regen braking so more loss => Movement
For this, the gasoline engine has more moving parts...so more things that can fail.
Let's be fair...don't be overly biased.
How about you stop being overly biased.

The goal here is to stop people being able to drive at all.

Oh, put everyone in electric cars? Fantastic! Now, let's shut down all power.

Now what? Are you going to charge your car for 3 hours on a generator that requires....gas?

Have you looked at the landscape around a pipeline compared to the landscape of an area dug up to make those batteries for your car that you will eventually end up using fossil fuels to get that electricity?

Not everyone is dumb to what the goal is. Klaus Slob has already told you what he wants, and that is exactly what he wants - no one driving at all.

Keep believing the government cares about the people and the earth.

They don't.

Again I ask, why are so many skipping over hybrids? They use both. They power themselves, no need to sit at some recharging station for hours on end. Why not start pushing that instead of insisting everyone go full on EV when we aren't even close to being able to do full on EV?

Do you care about the environment, or do you just want to bounce your poms poms around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies