Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 07:17 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Gasoline engines are very inefficient.
Electric engines are improving at double the pace compared to gasoline engines.
Same thing happened back when gasoline engines were not the norm.
Let's try this again. Do you actually own an EV yourself? I am guessing the answer is no because you never speak of the one you own personally. Are you posting from your Corvette President Biden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 07:18 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Goverment is not there to get you...it does lot of good too.

What propaganda channels are you watching?
1) Government was, is and shall always be THE enemy. The single greatest threat to your life, liberty and prosperity will always be the government. Not a person, not a business, not some international external threat...nope. Always and forever, the #1 danger to everything you hold dear is your own government.

2) The "propaganda channel" I watch is called "all observed and recorded history since the dawn of civilization." It is a pretty clear indicator that my theory that governments are the greatest threat to mankind holds way more historical value than your "they do a lot of good too" nonsense.

3) The individual prospers in spite of government, never as a result.

Back to topic - when/if EV becomes a better value proposition, we will not street preachers like you shaming and insulting all of us to move to the better value. Common sense will guide us there. All your sermonizing is falling on deaf ears now, and should the EV tech displace ICE tech totally, we'll still be deaf to you because the tech did the convincing, not the ministry of propaganda.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:25 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If it is going to become the dominant technology that displaces the older technology, belief will have not a single thing to do with it. People will adopt it naturally when it becomes a better overall value proposition according to the individual profitability paradigm.

Right now, it is not a better overall value proposition. Period, end of line, full stop.

Should the day arrives it is, we won't need proselytizers preaching the "good news" or castigating us for our lack of faith. We'll flock to it quite naturally and instinctively. So it goes with every other form of progress.

These religious belief threads about "my tech god can beat up your tech god" are absurd.
Accurately stated. IMO, Two ways to achieve this...

1.) Affordable energy production, storage and distribution
a. reliable/robust/ample industrial electrical generation and network
b. better battery technology

2.) Home/business integration technology
a. residential/commercial electrical generation, solar-wind-grid
b. complete residential/commercial electrical integration

To achieve residential integration, that will most likely happen in suburbia. Urban environments are space challenged and would need innovative ways to charge vehicles. How ever I do see the possibility of parking meters becoming integrated with surface/cordless battery charging. Think of a surface phone charger in curb side parking or cordless charging and paying for the power.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:31 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
We have 4 ICE vehicles, it was 5 but our poor Wrangler is now off the road due to rust. I can't imagine having 4 extension cords leading out to the cars especially with the surging price of electricity that has nearly doubled.

Yesterday I took the truck to do errands and realized that I haven't driven it since we turned forward the clocks which was 3 weeks ago. If it was an EV and not plugged in it would have been dead.

What really gets me about EV's comes from the article.
1. Governments must offer incentives to lower the costs.
2. Manufacturers must accept extremely low profit margins.
3. Customers must be willing to pay more to drive electric.
4. The cost of batteries must come down.

#5 is, the used market buyer must be willing to pay A lot more for that used car that now needs a $10,000 battery to operate. Say that used EV is $20,000 which is about $400 per month for 5 years and then you need a new battery that adds another $200 to our payment. $600 a month for a used car? How many struggling families can afford that?

Another thing is the Feds should not be offering incentives. If EV's were really that amazing why would consumers need a bribe to buy one?

Eventually we will see more EV's on the road but they will not be replacing ICE vehicles any time soon.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:32 AM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
I have no problem with EV's for people that want to buy them, as long as mining and production doesn't harm the environment, which it does now, so they need to fix that.

The problem is making everyone switch to EV and not let the consumer decide, gas or EV. What's up with THAT?

The only answer to this it seems is that elite big biz/gov have decided gas cars have to go for some reason, be it political or part of the big reset plan? Eventually EV's will be required to log in to the road network so all EV details can be checked- who owns it, who is driving, where it's going, battery level, etc. And of course impose restrictions or limits if they deem necessary to your EV

Old 04-04-2023, 07:32 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Humans will merge with AI and become super humans in future.
People are always afraid of new tech....buy it has always ended up helping humans.

I guess resistance is futile...

but....

I cannot help picturing Dr Loveless from wild wild west (will smith version, not robert conrad)

Old 04-04-2023, 07:34 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
https://www.iene.eu/heres-how-electr...sis-p3240.html

All the questions answered in above article.
Do you still believe in gas cars?
Article was written in 2016?

The very first graph says that in 2022, EV's will cost the same as gas powered cars. That ends up being false:

2023 Ford F 150: $60K
2023 Ford Lightning: $75K

2023: Hyundai Kona: $25K
2023: Hyundai Kona EV: $35K

I stopped reading after that.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:41 AM

7,342 posts, read 3,514,319 times
Quote:
You forgot that government "forced" gasoline engines by providing 5 times more subsidies.
totally, my great grandfather was forced to buy a model T

Old 04-04-2023, 07:49 AM

7,342 posts, read 3,514,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We have 4 ICE vehicles, it was 5 but our poor Wrangler is now off the road due to rust. I can't imagine having 4 extension cords leading out to the cars especially with the surging price of electricity that has nearly doubled.

Yesterday I took the truck to do errands and realized that I haven't driven it since we turned forward the clocks which was 3 weeks ago. If it was an EV and not plugged in it would have been dead.

What really gets me about EV's comes from the article.
1. Governments must offer incentives to lower the costs.
2. Manufacturers must accept extremely low profit margins.
3. Customers must be willing to pay more to drive electric.
4. The cost of batteries must come down.

#5 is, the used market buyer must be willing to pay A lot more for that used car that now needs a $10,000 battery to operate. Say that used EV is $20,000 which is about $400 per month for 5 years and then you need a new battery that adds another $200 to our payment. $600 a month for a used car? How many struggling families can afford that?

Another thing is the Feds should not be offering incentives. If EV's were really that amazing why would consumers need a bribe to buy one?

Eventually we will see more EV's on the road but they will not be replacing ICE vehicles any time soon.
one of the vehicles in our fleet is a 1992 Wrangler. still is going strong after about 30 years on the road. not one EV will ever last that long. the battery replacement makes it cost ineffective. people will have to buy or lease or rent a new EV every few years. where i live, i still see cars and trucks from the 1970s still going.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:16 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1% per day?
Yes EV batteries lose charge daily. Park your car at an airport for a week and come out, you have 10% less battery charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies