Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 08:18 AM

932 posts, read 544,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) Government was, is and shall always be THE enemy. The single greatest threat to your life, liberty and prosperity will always be the government. Not a person, not a business, not some international external threat...nope. Always and forever, the #1 danger to everything you hold dear is your own government.

2) The "propaganda channel" I watch is called "all observed and recorded history since the dawn of civilization." It is a pretty clear indicator that my theory that governments are the greatest threat to mankind holds way more historical value than your "they do a lot of good too" nonsense.

3) The individual prospers in spite of government, never as a result.

Back to topic - when/if EV becomes a better value proposition, we will not street preachers like you shaming and insulting all of us to move to the better value. Common sense will guide us there. All your sermonizing is falling on deaf ears now, and should the EV tech displace ICE tech totally, we'll still be deaf to you because the tech did the convincing, not the ministry of propaganda.
Fyi....We are a Democracy.
Shouldn't be comparing with Anarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 08:19 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
one of the vehicles in our fleet is a 1992 Wrangler. still is going strong after about 30 years on the road. not one EV will ever last that long. the battery replacement makes it cost ineffective. people will have to buy or lease or rent a new EV every few years. where i live, i still see cars and trucks from the 1970s still going.
This brings up a great point on the individual cost model - leasing versus purchasing (loan).

According to Forbes, leasing has fallen from 33% of new vehicle transactions in 2020 to 17% in 2023. Interest rates and costs have driven leasing to a point where it makes less sense than it used to against the standard 5-6 year loan, as the payments aren't that different, and with a loan you keep the car.

EVs make WAAAAAYYYYYY more financial sense with leasing, since the person leasing will never have to handle battery replacement issues and costs. Sure, most EVs right now have 8-10 year warranties on batteries, but the prospect itself is scary, and leases avoid all maintenance scary's. EVs also favor a "give it a try and see if I like it" mentality right now, which again, favors leasing. But when leasing is 80-90% of loan costs, where 3-4 years it ago, it was half or less, welllllllll...now leasing isn't as attractive, and that makes EVs more of a commitment, and people tend to balk at committing to emerging tech.

None of this is permanent obviously, and I am not downtalking the EV future, just another current reality that means EVs aren't taking over this year, or anytime in the immediate future, most likely.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Article was written in 2016?

The very first graph says that in 2022, EV's will cost the same as gas powered cars. That ends up being false:

2023 Ford F 150: $60K
2023 Ford Lightning: $75K

2023: Hyundai Kona: $25K
2023: Hyundai Kona EV: $35K

I stopped reading after that.
Initially the cost was 10 times that.
See how far we came. It will be cheaper in future as EVs have less moving parts.

Also you will have to look at Total Cost of Ownership. EVs have less maintenance and electricity is cheap.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
one of the vehicles in our fleet is a 1992 Wrangler. still is going strong after about 30 years on the road. not one EV will ever last that long. the battery replacement makes it cost ineffective. people will have to buy or lease or rent a new EV every few years. where i live, i still see cars and trucks from the 1970s still going.
Future EVs are going to last much longer as they have less moving parts that can fail.
Tesla bought Maxwell Capacitors to replace frequently used batteries in the battery pack with capacitors.
Capacitors discharge energy very quickly and last much longer.....only downside is that they aren't as energy dense.

Replacing 2-5% of batteries with capacitors would greatly increase the battery pack longetivity.

Also, Sodium Ion batteries have been introduced in China.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:28 AM

13,642 posts, read 4,954,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
BEVs v ICEs
Unless one's source of electricity is a hydroelectric plant (90% efficiency) , odds are that the cumulative losses (or efficiencies) actually favor the ICE.

Fuel=> Engine=> Movement
versus
Fuel=>Engine=>Generator=>Transmission lines=>Battery charging=>Battery discharging=>Motor=> Movement
- - -
I think the problem with that analysis is, with ICE cars you have 250 million separate power generators running around the country. With EVs, the power generation is greatly centralized, which offers some efficiencies of its own.

You also forgot about solar and wind, in which case the fuel is removed from your equation.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
FYI - no we aren't. The system was designed as a federal republic, but like all designed governments, has evolved towards some flavor of tyranny over time. Our particular flavor is unelected bureaucratic oligarchy, which I call "faceless thugocracy" in shorthand terms.

The three levels of government that affect you - federal, state and local - are comprised almost entirely of unelected, unaccountable, faceless bureaucrats. None of these people change according to how you vote. The elected person who is marginally attached to the overall department/bureau where that unelected 99.9% (do the math, that is an accurate percentage) of the bureaucracy's powerbase is the only single possible democratic thing about about your government at any level. That 99.9% unelected, faceless army of bureaucrats NEVER CHANGE from one election to another. That is what political scientists call "entrenched bureaucracy."

You have to be willfully blind to think any level of US government is even remotely democratic.

What you call democracy is the political-media theater that is used as the opiate of the masses. It makes you think you have some sort of self-determination, but an entrenched bureaucracy is as immovable as the average mountain.
Quote:
Anarchy is nobody holding involuntary power over anyone else. Neither of us was talking about that, nor was I comparing anything to it. Observing and commenting about the history of tyranny is not a comparison to anarchy.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:47 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,024,832 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
FYI - no we aren't. The system was designed as a federal republic, but like all designed governments, has evolved towards some flavor of tyranny over time. Our particular flavor is unelected bureaucratic oligarchy, which I call "faceless thugocracy" in shorthand terms.

The three levels of government that affect you - federal, state and local - are comprised almost entirely of unelected, unaccountable, faceless bureaucrats. None of these people change according to how you vote. The elected person who is marginally attached to the overall department/bureau where that unelected 99.9% (do the math, that is an accurate percentage) of the bureaucracy's powerbase is the only single possible democratic thing about about your government at any level. That 99.9% unelected, faceless army of bureaucrats NEVER CHANGE from one election to another. That is what political scientists call "entrenched bureaucracy."

You have to be willfully blind to think any level of US government is even remotely democratic.

What you call democracy is the political-media theater that is used as the opiate of the masses. It makes you think you have some sort of self-determination, but an entrenched bureaucracy is as immovable as the average mountain.

Anarchy is nobody holding involuntary power over anyone else. Neither of us was talking about that, nor was I comparing anything to it. Observing and commenting about the history of tyranny is not a comparison to anarchy.
Really you are both wrong. We are a constitutional republic, but we move farther from that every day.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:48 AM

17,460 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
Initially the cost was 10 times that.
See how far we came. It will be cheaper in future as EVs have less moving parts.

Also you will have to look at Total Cost of Ownership. EVs have less maintenance and electricity is cheap.
What EV do you own?

Old 04-04-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Future EVs are going to.....
Again, when that future arrives, we won't need to be told, harassed, preached at, etc...we'll know, and we'll adapt voluntarily.

It won't be a matter of belief, and it won't require external force of any sort being applied to us. We'll just choose the better value proposition.

I just do not understand these "you'll all see...someday, this technology will HAVE YOU and you'll be helpless before its awesome power!!!" discussions. When a better value comes along, you won't need to scold any of us...we'll all be like "yeah, cool, it makes more sense...so uhm...shut up?"

Old 04-04-2023, 08:50 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,227,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You do realize electric loses its charge. Tesla's lose 1%+ a day in electric. It becomes a serious issue for people parking at airports or long term parking situations.

Additionally batteries need to be replaced every ~10-15 years and the battery itself cost nearly as much as a new car.
How many people hold on to cars for 10-15 years? Sure, some people do because they can't afford a new car or perhaps they just really like their car. In general people keep their car for 7-8 years.

Full disclosure, I have no interest in purchasing an electric car until range improves. I work from home and don't commute so my car is generally used on long road trips. I don't want to deal with the hassle of planning my trip around charging stations. Despite this, I am not going to go full conspiracy and say that electric cars are the end of the world. Electric (and perhaps some other energy forms) will be the future, period. The upside is huge and I feel like we've not even tapped into the potential of hybrid or fully electric vehicles.

I'm just wondering what the horse and buggy industry was like back when cars came on the scene. Probably the same doom and gloom predictions. But here we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies