Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 03:23 PM

9,902 posts, read 4,663,177 times

Advertisements

Squatting an issue in many areas but in Philadelphia it will probably cost around $5,100 if lucky to get squatters evicted which includes $1,600 for storing the squatters stuff. Philadelphia had passed a law to make evicting squatters easier but gutted the law with in a year. Worried about the homeless issue.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/real...083039557.html

But these laws wind up forcing landlords & property owner to become unreimbursed public housing. Many these of these squatters are criminal grifters, conmen & woman and/or scammers, not someone is search of shelter.

Same for numerous other cities and areas. How hard can it be to determine if a lease is a fraud or who actually owns the property. They did it in less than a week in Texas. After dealing with squatters for a month she finally went to a tv station and less than a week after their report the squatters were gone. The police proved the lease was a fraud and squatters had criminal records and outstanding warrants.

https://abc7ny.com/what-is-a-squatte...omes/13030641/

Too many rights for squatters? Trying to cover up homeless issues?

Last edited by anononcty; 04-05-2023 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 04:48 PM

24,512 posts, read 17,260,237 times
I have been a landlord and had to deal with a couple of deadbeats that not only cost us rent money but also did lots of damage to the property before they were kicked out. Here in Mass, the book for Renters Rights is 3 times as thick as the one for the Landlords Property owner Rights.

Squatters are the worse because they never entered a contract yet the city/ state protects them. They should be dragged out of the house and taken to jail and court where they will be made to pay for any and all damages they did to the property.

The Bank doesn't care if there is a squatter, they only want that mortgage payment every month.

Drag them out of there.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Some areas have been afflicted by squatters, and homelessness for a long time. Kensington Ave for example has so many homeless, the stores have all shut. I cant imagine anybody with a job is going to stay living there.

What are landlords doing about it though? How did the landlords even allow this to happen in the first place. The value of their assets has dropped to literal zero. Or is this some kind of RE scam/ploy like blockbusting? I will have to believe there is something fishy going on. If I was a business lessee, or tenant in the area I'd be complaining as soon as I see more than three homeless on the commercial ave.

Same for Skid Row in LA. Someone owns that land.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:56 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,977,147 times
I’d hire some local bikers to….move in with the squatters.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:06 PM

1,711 posts, read 809,870 times
This whole subject needs to make its way to the USSC.

Property rights need to be considered and defined.

Not a poll but consider. " Should landlords be allowed to forcibly remove tenants who are 30 days in arrears of their contracted rental/lease payments?"

Old 04-06-2023, 09:11 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Some areas have been afflicted by squatters, and homelessness for a long time. Kensington Ave for example has so many homeless, the stores have all shut. I cant imagine anybody with a job is going to stay living there.

What are landlords doing about it though? How did the landlords even allow this to happen in the first place. The value of their assets has dropped to literal zero. Or is this some kind of RE scam/ploy like blockbusting? I will have to believe there is something fishy going on. If I was a business lessee, or tenant in the area I'd be complaining as soon as I see more than three homeless on the commercial ave.

Same for Skid Row in LA. Someone owns that land.
What good does it do? You have city leadership that doesn't care about businesses, that doesn't care about landlords, that doesn't care about the taxpayers. They are simply cash cows to suck dry to pander to the freak shows-the deadbeats, the welfare queens, the drug addicts, the deliberate homeless, the career criminals. We see it in failed city after failed city. SF, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, NYC, among others.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What good does it do? You have city leadership that doesn't care about businesses, that doesn't care about landlords, that doesn't care about the taxpayers. They are simply cash cows to suck dry to pander to the freak shows-the deadbeats, the welfare queens, the drug addicts, the deliberate homeless, the career criminals. We see it in failed city after failed city. SF, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, NYC, among others.
Well, its going to be hard as heck to break you lease without a massive penalty or find someone willing fool to take the lease off your hands if the neighborhood is going to hell.

And when your property does lose all tenants, what are you going to do then? Good luck trying to find someone to move in that isnt a drug addict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies