Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:27 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,324 times

Advertisements

I think one of them is wearing a pair of Nike shoes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:42 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
That and other man made drugs that many americans partake in.
South Americans to be precise.

But in addition to booze I want to give them tons of CRACK! We can experiment with this virgin society on whether or not the war on drugs is even worth the effort.

Quote:
So rude and crass. Anywho to stay on Topic, why would you want to go and walk onto their little part of the world? What are your motives? Perhaps they are happy where they are and unlike us that live in todays rat-race they seem to enjoy a simple laid back life, why to try to crash the party when you are not invited?
I want to learn about them... to see what deficiencies it is they suffer from...etc. My motives are to promote science and knowledge. If they are happy then they can stay happy. It is their choice.

Quote:
I envy them in a way because they have no knowledge of gas prices, bills, modern medicine, all the violence and crime, they seem to have a peaceful existance.
How do you know all of this? Did they communicate to you through the JPEG images? You envy other people because they don't have the problems you created for yourself?... You are very interesting!

Quote:
I am too fond of modern technology and all the guilty inventions
New product label... "Warning: YOU MAY EXPERIENCE IRREVERSIBLE ENJOYMENT OF THIS PRODUCT DUE TO ITS SUPERIOR FUNCTIONALITY"

Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,116 times
Your motives for seeing them are selfish. It is so YOU can learn abou them. This is like Pandoras box, once you expose them to the new world they can never go back. You cannot unexperince something. God only knows what you would do to their belief structure.

Quote:
I want to learn about them... to see what deficiencies it is they suffer from...etc. My motives are to promote science and knowledge. If they are happy then they can stay happy. It is their choice
Why do they need to know this? Because you think everyone should, give me a break. I think they survived thousands of years without so why all of a sudden do they need this knowledge now? AGian it comes down to Selfishness.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
Your motives for seeing them are selfish. It is so YOU can learn abou them. This is like Pandoras box, once you expose them to the new world they can never go back. You cannot unexperince something. God only knows what you would do to their belief structure.
Yes, but could an argument be made that by exposing them to the new world now, you are actually limiting their suffering in the future? At some point these individuals will become exposed to society, its only enevitable. Are we not saving them suffering by exposing them now to society, rather then waiting another 50-100 years until our technoloy is so advanced that we discover how to teleport (exageration, but it makes the point).

Imagine the shock and awe the native americans had upon those that discovered america, horses? Now look to these individuals who have not evolved (technically speaking) past Sitting Bull.

Can an argument not be made that their "shock" will only be greater as we become more advanced? I'm not making the argument because as you stated, you can not go back once you do. I'm just asking because its one thing to have individuals choose to live this way, which I would 100% agree with, its another to have them live this way because they are unaware of the alternative.

Jtraik does have an interesting point about studying them, because its interesting that you compare that they have come to the same conclusion about bow/arrows that other tribes, not connected, not even in the same part of the world came to. What other simularities would this tribe share with our own past that we were not aware of?

Only question to ponder is can we learn more from them, such as how we lived 500 years ago, then they can learn from us?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,116 times
I respectfully disagree, I realize our technology is getting more and more advanced, b ut what does it say when you can log on to your computer and look at you patio furniture from space that these people have still managed to remain cut off from todays world. I think if like other posters said we make it a area that is off limits to us then they will remain isolated. If they wanted to explore and meet new people they would have done so, the fact they have not saysd to me they like their privacy.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Agreed! They have made it this far unaffected by "Modern living" and they seem to be doing well!
We could stand to learn a thing or 2.
I am curious as to what you think we could actually learn from them?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
My fear is that helicopters and airplanes are now part of their mythology. Have we now created an artificial reason to sacrifice virgins, to fast, to fear. I hope not.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
I think one of them is wearing a pair of Nike shoes!
Oh my god, please look closely at the picture. Notice what you think is the Nike swoosh is in fact something on the ground, either some bones, branches, etc. You can clearly see his two feet.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
God only knows what you would do to their belief structure.
So what? It's not my fault they are people of weak faith.

Quote:
Why do they need to know this? Because you think everyone should, give me a break.
Your like those people who opposed the Renaissance when it was going on...

Quote:
I think they survived thousands of years without so why all of a sudden do they need this knowledge now? AGian it comes down to Selfishness.
They are entitled to a better life if they want it... you're the selfish one by denying them that opportunity. You want to play God over them... you don't want to tempt them yet temptation is part of our existence... so selfish... Heck I just want push some of their soil aside and check for oil, they don't need it, but of course that is far too selfish of me... right.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
So what? It's not my fault they are people of weak faith.

Your like those people who opposed the Renaissance when it was going on...

They are entitled to a better life if they want it... you're the selfish one by denying them that opportunity. You want to play God over them... you don't want to tempt them yet temptation is part of our existence... so selfish... Heck I just want push some of their soil aside and check for oil, they don't need it, but of course that is far too selfish of me... right.
Would everyone please just shut up about this? Obviously your intention & sillas & phquest is to TRY to deliberately upset people. Sorry, but nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies