Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 10:06 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These bans and their actions will no doubt have an impact in 2024, we can already see some of the impact in local elections. Somehow, they thought overturning Roe would be great news for republicans, they really didn't think this out.
Republicans believe in smaller, more local government.

Getting the federal government out of the abortion business was the correct decision, as even Ruth Bader Ginsburg admitted it was a flawed precedent.

There is now robust debate on the topic and the rules that people wish to live under are now being decided by 340 million people instead of 9 justices.

I would expect this to go over the head of most big-government liberals, though.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:53 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
The elations in 2022 made no sense. I don’t think Dobbs played more than a minor factor in it. Voter memories tend to be short and it was way before the election. Also many pollsters showed that the decision was not going to factor largely into people’s votes. I do think the poor house performance was largely a result of many GOPers fleeing reddish districts in blue states to move to places like TX FL TN NC etc and as a result they may no longer perform as well in those as they once did. So they may get strongholds in some sunbelt states but ultimately lose many districts they once had in places like MI WI WA etc. the senate result was purely crap candidates in PA and GA. I do think NV and AZ probably were stolen as is usual

Old 05-18-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I suppose if the Dems keep the White House in 2024 and regain the House all the while keeping the Senate then this argument would have more validity. Unti then, this is just a bunch of conjecture and speculation! Or better put, wishful thinking!
Dems need a miracle to hold the senate in 2024. WV and OH are gonna be lost for sure. MT I’m not sold on yet but I’m not sure they can hold that one in a presidential year

Old 05-18-2023, 12:00 PM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Republicans believe in smaller, more local government.

Getting the federal government out of the abortion business was the correct decision, as even Ruth Bader Ginsburg admitted it was a flawed precedent.

There is now robust debate on the topic and the rules that people wish to live under are now being decided by 340 million people instead of 9 justices.

I would expect this to go over the head of most big-government liberals, though.
A majority of voters favor abortion even in red states but they are doing their best to circumvent the wishes of the majority.

RvW worked for 50 years, but a minority of republicans mostly from the evangelical wing wanted things there way. They got their Christian activist flavored court under Trump, but now they are having buyers remorse.

Smaller local government that removes women's rights.

This will only impact poor mostly minority women, middle class will still get abortions. Something they didn't think through.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:04 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
In the eleven months since the Supreme Court released the Dobbs decision that overturned Roe v, Wade, Republicans have consistently underperformed in federal, judicial, statewide and local elections around the country.

Democrats have over-performed their 2020 results by an average of 6% in 18 state legislative races this year, (which was a good year), and by an average of 10% over 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...rm-elections/C

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/17/abo...sing-elections

Its still a small sample size of elections, and it would be an overstatement to say that it’s all due to blowback from Dobbs, but the data thus far suggests that the Republican Party’s abortion woes are far from over.

A real life lesson of the devastating effects of what happens to the dog when it finally catches the car.
Yes...the left will always put elections and power before the lives of Innocent Gestating Babies.
That's how the truly evil and depraved people roll.
How dare they try to restrict our Baby Killing! The nerve! We'll show them!!

Old 05-18-2023, 12:40 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
A majority of voters favor abortion even in red states but they are doing their best to circumvent the wishes of the majority.

RvW worked for 50 years, but a minority of republicans mostly from the evangelical wing wanted things there way. They got their Christian activist flavored court under Trump, but now they are having buyers remorse.

Smaller local government that removes women's rights.

This will only impact poor mostly minority women, middle class will still get abortions. Something they didn't think through.
This is what many Women will remember in 2024 especially if Trump is the Nominee.
They know that if he is Elected again he will stack the Supreme Court with the same type of Christian activist Justices he did before that will further erode their personal Rights..

Old 05-18-2023, 12:53 PM

588 posts, read 225,218 times
Quote:
These bans and their actions will no doubt have an impact in 2024, we can already see some of the impact in local elections. Somehow, they thought overturning Roe would be great news for republicans, they really didn't think this out.
Who were all these people thinking this on the republican side? No one I know figured this would be good for votes and that was not the reason the Supreme court overruled Roe anyway.

Everyone needs to start thinking in terms of what's best for the country and not how to get freaking elected again. Dems and Reps passing laws only to get an edge in elections is one of this countries many problems. You can look no further than the egregious spending from both sides in order to gain votes.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
Who were all these people thinking this on the republican side? No one I know figured this would be good for votes and that was not the reason the Supreme court overruled Roe anyway.

Everyone needs to start thinking in terms of what's best for the country and not how to get freaking elected again. Dems and Reps passing laws only to get an edge in elections is one of this countries many problems. You can look no further than the egregious spending from both sides in order to gain votes.
Personally in 2023 I have no idea unless you’re a Mormon or a Hasidic Jew why abortion would be a meaningful issue for you at all. It’s probably the furthest thing on my radar in the sociopolitical spectrum

Old 05-18-2023, 01:08 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This is what many Women will remember in 2024 especially if Trump is the Nominee.
They know that if he is Elected again he will stack the Supreme Court with the same type of Christian activist Justices he did before that will further erode their personal Rights..
And history will remember those that advocated for Killing Gestating Human Beings...the same as those that advocated for Enslaving Black Human Beings.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:20 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And history will remember those that advocated for Killing Gestating Human Beings...the same as those that advocated for Enslaving Black Human Beings.
Except one is a Choice and the other was NOT.

Bad analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies